Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Ok guys, I REALLY need your help this time. I just called and made my appointment to have my JDM B16A BAR Certified (MAY 10) and I NEED to make sure I have everything ready and everything done correctly before I go in. I dont want to **** around and this is pretty serious **** so ONLY people who have been to BAR and have their Hondas certified reply PLEASE. I want to get the RIGHT information the 1st time and no "I think this, my friend says that".....BS! Sorry, it sucks for us out here, but I hear once your in the legit swap club its pretty awsome!

<U>Anyways, here are my question for you guys in the legit swap club.</U>
1. What are the things I NEED to make sure I do before I go?

<U>These are the things I have already done from searching on here.</U>
1. I have obtained a USDM P30 ECU (Thanks Guiltine)
2. I have bought a new Catalyic Converter (Thanks Heel Toe Auto)
3. I have bought a new OEM Honda P30 02 Sensor (Thanks Heel Toe Auto)

I had the car pretested by a friend who works at a smog place and with all the new stuff it passed with flying colors! Practically ZERO Hyrdocarbons! So the car will pass the sniffer!

<U>So here is my next question?</U>
I believe that I need to add a PCV Purge Control Valve Solenoid and have it routed to a charcoal canister. My friend has a USDM EG that I can steal this PCV Valve and Charcoal Canister to pass BAR.
1. Is this all I need left to pass?
2. There is also a sensor connected under the PCV Valve, do I have to wire it in or can I just cut the wires long and run it somewhere in the loom of my stock harness as a dummy?
3. If I have to wire it in....anyone have the schematics of the wiring and also the routing schematics for the hoses to the charcoal canister they can send me?

Is there anything else I need to do that I am missing? What else should I know about this? Are they pretty cool at BAR? What kind of questions should I be ready for? Is there anything else I need to know?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated you guys! Sorry for the long post! Im a little nervous about it to be honest. Just wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row! Thanks you guys! Youre the best!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (NA PRO)

I honestly don't know how much this will help, but at least you'll have some people you can contact. Good luck.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=551049
Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What station you going to?

I went to a station and they give you the visual first of course, but for me they said i wouldnt pass because i needed a new tube for my intake to my valve cover and they said that i wouldnt need to pay or anything taht i could just leave and make a new appointment when i finish. So if your not sure about the PCV (because i dont really know about that) you could go, get it visual, and if they say your missing something then go home and fix it and make a new appointment.

Main things you need:

USDM ECU
MAke sure the motor is newier then the car
Make sure all your hoses and vaccums and everything is hooked up
New Cat./good cat.
CARB intake
CARB header

I think thats basically it. My biggest problem was finding the damn ECU in time and then they didnt even check it. But better safe then sorry. What i did was had the swap done, get a intake, header, the ecu and get it smogged and passed.

If you pass the sniffer dont worry about the visual, if you fail they tell you what you need and wait however long and take it again and pass no prob.

Good luck man

Edit: Also make sure your not throwing any codes, of course.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you have no cel codes on. If you passed the sniffer for a pretest you are good to go. Make sure all of your vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. Make sure you have the OEM hose piece from the valve cover to the stock or after market intake.

B Cruz &lt;--- BAR certified as of 1/17/03
Old 05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's my setup:
- b16a sir-1 full obd1 conversion
- usdm p30
- usdm intake mani with evap purge solenoid
- usdm gsr tb with chracoal canister nipple
- b16a2 usdm header
- new cat from kragen
- aem sri for a del sol vtec
i went to the alameda CC ref, and i didnt need any paperwork. i was running 1.5 gallons of 89 octance with a gallon of denatured alcohol. my car passed visual fine. but sniffer was another story. at both 15mph and 20mph , my car was spewing out over 2200 ppm of NO. the limit is around 700ppm. they had forgotten to turn on the dyno fan, but when they ran it again, my NO was still up around 1800. according to the printout, my 02% was too high, indicating that my cat never lit-off (ie wasnt catalyzing NO at all). some ppl say that u have to break in new cats, but i had 2 friend who passed with brand new cats they had installed just a few days before the test. i had mine for 3 days, and drove hard during that time.... so im just gonna wait a bit, and get a pretest to if my cat is working. btw, HC's and CO where waaaaay low, well below the max limit...
Old 05-03-2004, 08:19 PM

Damn you guys are the bomb! I just got back from the gym and wasnt expecting to see all the replys already! I appreciate all the help. From what everyone is saying...it seems like Im on the right path!

What about the PCV?? I need to have that to pass visual right? I REALLY dont need it to be hooked up do I? I can just have it sitting dummy style right? Anyone know?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What station you going to? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Goin to Rancho Cucamunga!! 909 baby!! Shiet....it'll 115 when Im doin it. At least my Cat will be hot!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

[QUOTE=dantastic]- usdm intake mani with evap purge solenoid
- usdm gsr tb with chracoal canister nipple
- b16a2 usdm header
.[QUOTE]

- have the JDM Intake Mani with no EVAP....Im planning on using one of my friends and just installing on the manifold on the stock location and having sit dummy style. You think this will work? I have ZERO codes! The motor is a complete changeover from a EG6 front clip. I used everything thats stock with it!
-o you also think the JDM Cat will work?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (b cruz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure you have no cel codes on. If you passed the sniffer for a pretest you are good to go. Make sure all of your vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. Make sure you have the OEM hose piece from the valve cover to the stock or after market intake.

B Cruz &lt;--- BAR certified as of 1/17/03 </TD></TR></TABLE>

All of thats there! Zero codes! Just worrying about PCV....what do you think? Will my dummy idea work?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to have a pcv on there to pass the visual.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (b cruz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need to have a pcv on there to pass the visual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! Looks like I also need the EVAP Purge too! This is actually the one I am referring to. I believe it has a sensor that plugs into it....can I just set it there dummy style to pass visual and run the wires in my harness loom but not actually connect it?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone that helped me out this evening! BCruz & Luserkid...you guys rock!

If anyone else has more info to add please do so...I can use it! Heck I just learned from BCruz that if I use 87 octane it will help me in passin the BAR sniffer....I was ready to fill her up on 91 that day! Learn somethin new everyday!

I will keep you guys posted! Wish me luck! May 10 is my day in big bad 909!!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:04 PM

87 helps? I thought that 91 octane gas is better for use during smog checks.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (mario82686)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mario82686 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">87 helps? I thought that 91 octane gas is better for use during smog checks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope 87 is better because it burns faster or cleaner, something like that.

Once again man Good luck! And let us know when you pass!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 PM

oh you definitely need the evap purge sensor to be hooked up.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (loketran)

You think the BAR would trip on an AEBS intake manifold???...Thats if they notice it, because it looks stock and has all US vacuum lines...right?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what i did, before i got my bar sticker.

new air filter
new plugs
new spark plug wires
change oil( hours before smog)
added "guaranteed to pass emissions" from pepboys
drove the car for about 1 hour before smog

all these made me pass
Old 05-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (kNOwLedGeDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kNOwLedGeDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think the BAR would trip on an AEBS intake manifold???...Thats if they notice it, because it looks stock and has all US vacuum lines...right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im a firm beliver in that it TOATLY depends on were you go. spade got got for alot of little ****. be on the other hand i had a comptech intake from a 99-00 si on a b18b motor and nothing was said at all.

make sure you take ur ECU fuse out and unplug the negative termenal on your battery because you ECU store codes and that is the only way to clear it.

and in reality your first time can be and is for most people something they go to so they know what they need to do, because after you pay the 30 something dollars you can come back once free of charge to get it re-tested, and if you pass that time you only have to pay for your certificit.

**** the guy who ref'd my motor even changed one of the vacume line to the correct location for me, he was a super cool dude
Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont forget to adjust your timing
Old 05-04-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (kNOwLedGeDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kNOwLedGeDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think the BAR would trip on an AEBS intake manifold???...Thats if they notice it, because it looks stock and has all US vacuum lines...right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno man....like the other dude said...I think it all depends on the BAR station you go to. I would rather be safe than sorry. Intake manifold arnt that hard to switch out but why go through the hassle? I would hope for you that manifold has a CARB sticker!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is what i did, before i got my bar sticker.

new air filter
new plugs
new spark plug wires
change oil( hours before smog)
added "guaranteed to pass emissions" from pepboys
drove the car for about 1 hour before smog

all these made me pass </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good tip! I will change all of the above this weekend! BTW...what is this "Guaranteed to pass emissions" thing from Pep Boys called? Im gonna do everything possible to pass. My goal is to pass 1st time out!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!! (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

make sure you take ur ECU fuse out and unplug the negative termenal on your battery because you ECU store codes and that is the only way to clear it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow...I totally forgot about this easy trick! Thank man!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NA PRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good tip! I will change all of the above this weekend! BTW...what is this "Guaranteed to pass emissions" thing from Pep Boys called? Im gonna do everything possible to pass. My goal is to pass 1st time out! </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its called "guaranteed to pass emissions" i think its about $5.
BTW. i waited till my gas tank was almost empty, then i poured this thing in with 87 gas. i passed the first time.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 AM
New User

its all where you go
the place I went to was very strict and they knew their stuff (Fremont)
they checked everything and I even had to go to the dealer to have them verify that the ecu I was using was the correct one for my swap
Alot of places don't even make you do that, and it was a huge hassle to try and get the dealer to help me out, I had to find a hookup

I think there was a thread on which places are strict/leniant
Do a search on it
anway good luck

Old 05-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah its called "guaranteed to pass emissions" i think its about $5.
BTW. i waited till my gas tank was almost empty, then i poured this thing in with 87 gas. i passed the first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>
on the GTP though you have to use the bottle a tank before the test. it cleans the carbon off the piston top. Using that for the test would cause you to fail because of all of the carbon coming out.

WE use ISOHeet. The little red bottle mixxed with 87 octane. It loweres your octane for a more complete burn.

Quick Reply: CA BAR Certified Honda's ONLY!!! PLEASE HELP!!