Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

I've been raped! (ITR insurance topic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 01:08 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been raped! (ITR insurance topic)

I just got my first renewal notice on my insurance for the ITR and its a shade over $4200!

I am 22 years old, have a clean record, live in NJ and Liberty Mutual is my insurance carrier. This is for full coverage with $500 deductable on liability/comp/collision. I could raise my comp/collision deductable to $1000 and my premium would lessen by $600.

If I had taken 12 credits last semester (Only had 8 credits) I would have applied for the good-student program and had $700 discounted from my premium. So that won't work.

Amazingly, if I purchase a beater car and insure minimum, I would receive a multi-car discount and my total premium would be $3600. So now I am stuck in the dilemma of looking for a reliable beater car for around $1000 or face paying $4200/year. Anybody seen an 1985 Corolla GTS liftbacks for sale in NYC area?

I called NJ Cure and they quoted me at $4200 and an Allstate agent told me that I should stick with Liberty Mutual since he was able to know right away that my premium would not be any cheaper.

NJ insurance rates are a crime!

[Modified by Bunta, 5:11 PM 10/12/2001]
Old 10-12-2001, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've been raped! (Bunta)

This may be a stupid question but...does a car has to be registered to be insured? Here is a scenario, buy a real real piece of junk for like $200, stick it in your yard, and insure it. Most likely this cannot be done, but just a thought.

I feel your pain, in NYC insurance for 29yr old, no tickets or accidents, $500 deduct, about $3000 yearly premium.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:20 PM
New User

forget wasting money buying another car. if you know a good friend or relative with a car, just buy insurance for yourself for that car. simple as that. it's not illegal to have multiple insurance on one car.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what "one of my friends" did, "he" has a 93 Civic CX, that "he" insure as my primary vehicle, the R, is insured as a leisure vehicle. insurance for the R, comprehensive, 80/mth. granted, this is on a policy with 6 cars, and a good student discount, but still.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:24 PM
Trial User

can't you go under your parents, till you turn 25 or something....

i mean at least you can some money doing that....
Old 10-12-2001, 01:35 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (itR566)

The thought of even getting a "beater" for $1000 is ludicrous. That would take your total cost of insurance to $4600. Just pay the insurance if you're gonna do that. Looking for a $200 beater will save you only $400 plus the cost of registration and such; that equates to less than $33 a month savings. Suck it up, pay the insurance and take 12 credits this semester.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:37 PM

Default Re: I've been raped! (itR566)

you can go under your parents insurance as long as the car is in their name, no matter how old you are...

I just recently moved to Florida from NJ, where my car was registered in my mother's name...I was 22 w/ no tickets and in her name, daily driver and it was 2400/yr...will definitely save some $$$....

but when I moved to FL, all the cars listed in my sig are covered for less than that, 2 of which have full coverage NJ sux...

I'm surprised w/ NJ cure, they are usually pretty good for rates...you can't use the really big names (state farm, allstate, etc) b/c in NJ it is JUST TOO MUCH $$$, or they won't insure you, like Geico, Progressive, etc...

take a look into unitrin direct (don't know if they are NJ, but they have been advertising here in FL a lot lately) or another smaller insurance agency...HTH good luck, I know it's not easy
Old 10-12-2001, 01:49 PM
I shoot brides

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, j00 f00z pay alot for insurance!

29 (whoa, i'm 29 already ), clean record.

Full coverage, $0 deductible = ~$1800/year through AAA

yoshi - who hopes the rate will go down w/ a st00k
Old 10-12-2001, 02:04 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (typer98)

The need to get a beater car is beyond the scope of just lowering my insurance. It would also become my daily driver since I no longer wish to drive the ITR around here in NJ. You've read the numerous theft posts haven't you?

I am already taking 12 credits this semester. But even if I get straight A's, it will not affect my rates until my next renewel. That is, they cannot put me into the good student program until I show them a 3.0 GPA on my last semester's performance. My renewal date is this Nov. and I will not receive my grades till this Dec. So that won't help.

The vehicle is financed under my name, so trying to insure the car under my parents is a no-go.

forget wasting money buying another car. if you know a good friend or relative with a car, just buy insurance for yourself for that car. simple as that. it's not illegal to have multiple insurance on one car.
I don't understand what you are trying to express. But as far as I know, the only person that can insure the ITR is the owner and other drivers under an umbrella coverage. Being that I am the owner, I would be stuck as the principal driver.

This may be a stupid question but...does a car has to be registered to be insured? Here is a scenario, buy a real real piece of junk for like $200, stick it in your yard, and insure it. Most likely this cannot be done, but just a thought.
I've been contemplating this as well. There is a guy that has an 86 AE86 shell that he is giving away. If I pick that up I could insure that vehicle. I'm not sure if they will actually run the VIN and see what is status is (salvage, theft, etc.) but I know that all I need to really do to insure the car is proof of ownership and the VIN.

[Modified by Bunta, 6:07 PM 10/12/2001]
Old 10-12-2001, 02:06 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (yoshi234)

damn, j00 f00z pay alot for insurance!

29 (whoa, i'm 29 already ), clean record.

Full coverage, $0 deductible = ~$1800/year through AAA

It will Yoshi!

I got a quote too, for a new S2K and it indeed went down by 300.00.

Compared to the ITR, but it all evened out in the end.

Because of the car payment also went up too by 300.00.

Cal
Old 10-12-2001, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got my first renewal notice on my insurance for the ITR and its a shade over $4200!

I am 22 years old, have a clean record, live in NJ and Liberty Mutual is my insurance carrier. This is for full coverage with $500 deductable on liability/comp/collision. I could raise my comp/collision deductable to $1000 and my premium would lessen by $600.

NJ insurance rates are a crime!

[Modified by Bunta, 5:11 PM 10/12/2001]
Crap.. That's not something I want to hear! I'm with Liberty mutual too and I'm paying $3200.. I'm 27 years old and single. I still haven't receive my renewal notice.. I really hope its not $4000+ That's cRaZy! I can afford to pay it, but it would suck.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:15 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (arren123)

Being that you are 27, you are in the class above me. So I do not think that you will be seeing $4200 like me. But now that I know what you're rates are, I'll expect something similar plus inflation in 5 more years...

Insurance is the biggest hoax in the world. And the gov't made it legal. Yes, there are advantages to it, but what if you never make a single claim in your life? Money lost? Who in NJ should I blame for making the rates in NJ so astronomical?
Old 10-12-2001, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know, but there must be someplace where we can complain.. Maybe e-mail the govenor?
Old 10-12-2001, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your only real options are:
1. Have the car in someone elses name, preferably a grand parent, and you are listed as a driver. (highest discount)
2. Buy a beater (because you live in the state with the highest car theft) get a small discount but the added bonus the ITR is off the street. (no real savings, just peace of mind)
3. Just pay the insurance.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't buy a 85 Corolla GTS, get a 86
you are afterall Bunta, aren't u?
Old 10-12-2001, 02:53 PM

Default Re: I've been raped! (WalkmanX)

don't buy a 85 Corolla GTS, get a 86
you are afterall Bunta, aren't u?

LOL......yeah, Bunta san, unless you want to be that wacko friend of the main character with the SOHC 85.
BTW, I am in the same exactly situation as you are. I paid $6000 for full coverage a year last year when the car was new!!!!
I was using Traveler **** and back then I am under my mom's name as a secondary insurance. IF I buy insurance under my name....it will be....get this:¡@$ 9 8 0 0 dollars!!
So after a year, I turn 22 and went back to All-State, I couldn't get into All-State because of 4 points on my record for a "no left turn till 7pm" ****. I am paying $2400 a year now. But I am also insuring a family car 00' 3.2TL together with the R and maybe this combo save us lots of money. Now both cars are a total of $4200 a year.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:03 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (nEoMuGen)

dude i feel for you. i pay 4700 with 500 ded. per year. i have one accident and no moving violations. im 24. this is ******* sick, i know. u should try colonial penn. i know they will be cheaper 1-800-523-1700. everyone else wanted 5500-8000 a year. thats ******* absurd.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I've been raped! (yoshi234)

Actually, I've been with GEICO for about 6 years now and
100K/300K comp with a $250 ded and
100K/300K coll with $500 ded and
towing, rental, etc etc, even 100Kmi/7 year powertrain warranty was
$900/6mo's with 2000 ITR and
$600/6mo's with 2001 S2000...

I dunno, but hey, it went down right?
EDIT: I should add that Im married, 25 with no accidents and a couple of minor speeding tickets (10 over in 75mph)
Demian

[Modified by killingtime, 4:34 PM 10/12/2001]
Old 10-12-2001, 03:53 PM
New User

I've heard you can go to http://www.insweb.com and get quotes from a bunch of different companies. takes about 10 minutes.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:15 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (nsxtcjr)

I've heard you can go to http://www.insweb.com and get quotes from a bunch of different companies. takes about 10 minutes.
Another company that doesn't perform NJ
Old 10-12-2001, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude...sorry to hear that...i know what it's like to be in that position. right now i'm paying like $700 a year with full liability and covered for uninsured drivers as well...of course i'm 30 years old and i don't have a Type R (lowly civic Si driver...)
and i have a good driving record and a college degree...don't worry about it...the more years of driving you put in, the insurance payment should lower as well...it just takes time.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:39 PM

Default Re: I've been raped! (nsxtcjr)

i just ran through the insweb.com quote process . . . the ITR is listed as:

'integra type-r 4WD'

wtf?
Old 10-12-2001, 04:49 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped! (R1020)

Deng You guys pay some Insane insurance premiums.. I thought it was bad enough back in Toronto... Im 22, with a spotless record, and I pay $1600 a year, with $200 deductable, and $1,000,000 liability... I think ya'll need to move to canada to drive your R's !
Old 10-12-2001, 04:51 PM
New User

Default Re: I've been raped!

It's ridiculous that insurance companies can get away with listing the ITR as a high performance class vehicle.

If the ITR has gained 25 more hp, an LSD, and a few other knick-knacks to separate it from the GSR, do you think that the Mazda Protege MP3 should be labeled as a high performance vehicle? It has gained a complete retuning from RB and Mazda ranging from interior accents to exhaust and sus settings. Perhaps my analogy is a bit weak, but geez...

My insurance agency cannot even pinpoint why the ITR has received the rating

me: Why is the ITR defined as high performance?
agent: It's based on number cylinders...
me: It has 4, like almost every other import in its class
agent: or liters
me: 1.8L
agent: That's just how they define it
(Translation: If insurance wants to screw you, just bend over accept it)
Old 10-12-2001, 05:04 PM
New User

It's ridiculous that insurance companies can get away with listing the ITR as a high performance class vehicle.

If the ITR has gained 25 more hp, an LSD, and a few other knick-knacks to separate it from the GSR, do you think that the Mazda Protege MP3 should be labeled as a high performance vehicle? It has gained a complete retuning from RB and Mazda ranging from interior accents to exhaust and sus settings. Perhaps my analogy is a bit weak, but geez...

My insurance agency cannot even pinpoint why the ITR has received the rating

me: Why is the ITR defined as high performance?
agent: It's based on number cylinders...
me: It has 4, like almost every other import in its class
agent: or liters
me: 1.8L
agent: That's just how they define it
(Translation: If insurance wants to screw you, just bend over accept it)
Is it not because it is a High Theft car? Is car theft there in Jersey still as bad as it was a few years ago?... also I duno about over there.. but back in Toronto, the ITR was classifed as a "high risk" car.. i guess due to the number of accedents caused by/or involving an ITR... Like someone said before on HT.. Some people think they are invincible when driving an R.

Quick Reply: I've been raped! (ITR insurance topic)