Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

smog referee???

Old 01-03-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog referee???

i was told that i should take my car to the smog referee after i had put in my new engine. what exactly is a smog referee? is it the same as just a regular smog test? do i just tell them i swapped engines, and want it to be varified?? ( i really want that BAR sticker.....cops ) please inform this noobie
Old 01-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog referee??? (speedaholic92)

They do smog your car, but they also do an extensive visual inspection to make sure all of the smog equipment is installed and working properly. Also, they check to make sure your motor is the same year as your car, or newer. If it is, and your motor is legit, and passes smog, you'll pay a little money, get your BAR sticker, and be set. At least, that's how I did mine.

[Modified by rodrez, 9:21 PM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 06:25 PM

Default Re: smog referee??? (rodrez)

so do i just look up SMOG REFEREE in the yellow pages? how much did you pay? are there any papers i should have? the engine is not stolen.....................
Old 01-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so once you get the BAR sticker, you can get your car smoged anywhere you want?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Re: smog referee??? (lazyvietboi)

the ref is a very strict smog place there all over th e place
i ogt my jdm b16 to pass at the state ref it took 4 months but i got it done finally
what year is ur car and what year is ur eng and type?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog referee??? (lazyvietboi)

Call this # 1-800-622-7733 and make an appointment in your area.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: smog referee??? (gsr_vx_hatch)

i have a 1992 civic cx
motor swapped 1994 integra LS......stock intake/exhaust manifold.....
Old 01-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so do i just look up SMOG REFEREE in the yellow pages? how much did you pay? are there any papers i should have? the engine is not stolen.....................
I just called a random smog shop, and asked for the California State Referee phone number, they all have it. I made an appt, after dropping the motor in, took my registration, license, and bill of sale (bought motor from a friend, made a bill of sale and we both signed it), took about 45 minutes. It was about 2 years ago, but I remember it being about 30 bucks for the test, and 8 bucks for the sticker. I've had my hood popped about 4 or 5 times since then, everytime I've just shown the sticker, cop eyeballs it, and I'm on my way.
note: when I ref'd mine, I had DC 4-1, Injen intake, they have carb stickers, so they added that onto the actual sticker.

[Modified by rodrez, 12:32 AM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 11:04 PM

I just called a random smog shop, and asked for the California State Referee phone number, they all have it. I made an appt, after dropping the motor in, took my registration, license, and bill of sale (bought motor from a friend, made a bill of sale and we both signed it), took about 45 minutes. It was about 2 years ago, but I remember it being about 30 bucks for the test, and 8 bucks for the sticker. I've had my hood popped about 4 or 5 times since then, everytime I've just shown the sticker, cop eyeballs it, and I'm on my way.
note: when I ref'd mine, I had DC 4-1, Injen intake, they have carb stickers, so they added that onto the actual sticker.

[Modified by rodrez, 12:32 AM 1/4/2003]
JDM or USDM motor? I am thinking about taking my JDM B18C to the California smog ref., in hopes of not being hassled when I try and get my car smogged in December of 2003.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The state ref is the big dog of smog.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog referee??? (93SSPHatch)

YES! you can now get a JDM motor bar certified, it has to be the same year or newer w/ all the USDM smog devices. just make it as stock as possible.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Re: smog referee??? (zzZZzzleeperCX)

YES! you can now get a JDM motor bar certified, it has to be the same year or newer w/ all the USDM smog devices. just make it as stock as possible.
u serious?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog referee??? (intezn)

u serious?

yes i'm serious.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog referee??? (intezn)

u serious?
Yes, that's true, as long as you have all of the USDM smog devices and ECU, a Jspec motor can be certified. My particular motor was US spec. The first questions they asked me when I walked in: "what year is your car/motor, is it from Japan or the US?"
Old 01-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 1992 civic cx
motor swapped 1994 integra LS......stock intake/exhaust manifold.....
As long as all of your smog equipment is hooked up and working properly, you have a good cat, you should have no problems at all. My buddy just got his 91 hatch w/a 94 LS swap certified, and it was SUPER-GHETTO.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:38 PM

i called that #.............not open weekends...
we'll see on monday..........thanks for the # gsr_vx_hatch.................
Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 AM

u serious?

Yes, that's true, as long as you have all of the USDM smog devices and ECU, a Jspec motor can be certified. My particular motor was US spec. The first questions they asked me when I walked in: "what year is your car/motor, is it from Japan or the US?"
By getting the BAR sticker did word get back to your insurance company that you had a swap in your car? At this point, the higher insurance rates are the only thing holding me back from getting the sticker.

I just called the smog referee number that was posted above, and I am waiting to get a call back in the next few days from an actual referee. Hopefully he/she will be able to answer all these questions.

[Modified by 93SSPHatch, 9:12 AM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:25 AM

I just heard back from my local California Smog Referee today! This is what he said:

JDM MOTORS CAN BE LEGAL AS LONG AS:

1. The engine is the same year as car or newer.

2. The ECU is a USDM and not JDM.

3. NO JDM wiring harness, it must be USDM. (I am a little confused about this, I am wondering if my USDM CX harness will pass?)

4. The intake must be the original USDM air box, OR an intake that has a C.A.R.B sticker that is STRICTLY for the swapped motor. (Example: an AEM CAI for a GSR with a GSR motor will PASS, a AEM CAI for a Type R with a GSR motor will NOT pass)

5. The exhaust manifold MUST BE USDM, and if it is not O.E. then it must have a C.A.R.B sticker that matches the motor. I asked the ref. if they could really tell the difference between a stock USDM and JDM exhaust manifold, and he said that they have pictures for everything, and there are slight differences.

6. No adjustable FPR's, not unless it has a C.A.R.B. sticker. Does anyone know if the AEM FPR is C.A.R.B legal?

7. Must have a catalytic converter hooked up (this one is pretty obvious).

8. All USDM O.E. smog equipment MUST be hooked up and working properly!

*YOU ONLY GET TO VISIT THE SMOG REF. TWO TIMES TO TRY AND HAVE THE SWAPPED MOTOR PASS; AFTER THE SECOND TIME, IF IT DOESN'T PASS, I GUESS YOU ARE **** OUT OF LUCK*

THE BIG QUESTION THAT I FORGOT TO ASK:

By getting the C.A.R.B sticker, will my insurance find out about the swapped motor?

I hope this helps for all the Californian's who have a question about whether or not their JDM motor will pass smog. If anyone has any more information, please feel free to had to this thread.

Please only post information that you know to be TRUE, lets try and keep all the falacies out of here. The facts listed above are all valid, and they can be confirmed by calling your local smog referee.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn it, if I would of known about the JDM ok thing I would of gotten a JDM itr, oh well, I guess I still could.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE]I just heard back from my local California Smog Referee today! This is what he said:

JDM MOTORS CAN BE LEGAL AS LONG AS:

1. The engine is the same year as car or newer.

went over it
2. The ECU is a USDM and not JDM.
went over it
3. NO JDM wiring harness, it must be USDM. (I am a little confused about this, I am wondering if my USDM CX harness will pass?)

your harness will be fine
4. The intake must be the original USDM air box, OR an intake that has a C.A.R.B sticker that is STRICTLY for the swapped motor. (Example: an AEM CAI for a GSR with a GSR motor will PASS, a AEM CAI for a Type R with a GSR motor will NOT pass)
I used an Injen intake, they listed it on my BAR sticker
5. The exhaust manifold MUST BE USDM, and if it is not O.E. then it must have a C.A.R.B sticker that matches the motor. I asked the ref. if they could really tell the difference between a stock USDM and JDM exhaust manifold, and he said that they have pictures for everything, and there are slight differences.
I used a DC 4-1 with carb #, also listed on my sticker
6. No adjustable FPR's, not unless it has a C.A.R.B. sticker. Does anyone know if the AEM FPR is C.A.R.B legal?
adj FPR are not CARB exempt
7. Must have a catalytic converter hooked up (this one is pretty obvious).

8. All USDM O.E. smog equipment MUST be hooked up and working properly!
including your check engine light, has to work properly
*YOU ONLY GET TO VISIT THE SMOG REF. TWO TIMES TO TRY AND HAVE THE SWAPPED MOTOR PASS; AFTER THE SECOND TIME, IF IT DOESN'T PASS, I GUESS YOU ARE **** OUT OF LUCK*
I've never known anyone that couldn't pass the second time, as they give you a list of what is holding you back
THE BIG QUESTION THAT I FORGOT TO ASK:

By getting the C.A.R.B sticker, will my insurance find out about the swapped motor?
I've had my motor in for about 2 years, insurance was not affected
Old 01-07-2003, 10:10 AM

Hey Rodrez, thanks for the replies!

Since I have the JDM DC 4-1 header, I will need to acquire a USDM GSR exhaust manifold, correct?

I have a Walbro 190lph fuel pump and a B&M FPR, I am going to try and find an O.E. FPR, will my emissions be to high b/c I have the Walbro pump and no adjustable regulator, or should I be fine?

That makes me so happy to hear that you have had the sticker for 2 years and your insurance has not changed. I guess the DMV and the insurance company are not in close contact with each other, or they just don't care. Would you mind giving out the insurance company that you are with, I just switched over to 21st Century, and I hope I will not have a problem.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap the stock fuel pump back in.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:26 AM

Default Re: smog referee??? (Spade)

Swap the stock fuel pump back in.
DAMN IT, I knew I should have saved the stock fuel pump. Do you really think it will affect the emissions that badly? Don't they use the emissions standards for a GSR not a CX?
Old 01-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn this is a very good and informative thread.

anyway, as for the insurance thing, if u dont want ur rates to go up, if they find out just tell them it doesnt have to be covered under the policy. thats how it is for my insurance. if theres special equipment to be covered, u must declare the value, and they will change rates accordingly.

question: do they have a way to find out the specific year of the motor. like if its a 94 or 95? or they only care if its obd 1 and obd2? can i smog it with an aftermarket exhaust without a carb number? and one last thing.... do they look at the block stamp and ecu?

krazy
Old 01-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Rodrez, thanks for the replies!

Since I have the JDM DC 4-1 header, I will need to acquire a USDM GSR exhaust manifold, correct?

I have a Walbro 190lph fuel pump and a B&M FPR, I am going to try and find an O.E. FPR, will my emissions be to high b/c I have the Walbro pump and no adjustable regulator, or should I be fine?

That makes me so happy to hear that you have had the sticker for 2 years and your insurance has not changed. I guess the DMV and the insurance company are not in close contact with each other, or they just don't care. Would you mind giving out the insurance company that you are with, I just switched over to 21st Century, and I hope I will not have a problem.

Yeah, the JDM DC has to be swapped out, it doesn't have a carb #. The fuel pump has to be stock, as well as the B&M regulator, it's won't pass visual, and with the pump, it's probably running way to rich. I'm using Viking Insurance. Been with them for about 8 or 9 years, never had any problems. When my old car got vandalized (sp?) they cut me a check w/in 5 days, I was pretty impressed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smog referee???