Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

How bad does this look to you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad does this look to you guys...

Why is the clear coat peeling that bad??? I have [3] 10W0 subs in my trunk. Would they play any part in the peeling? I am just befuddled... it started happening about 2 months ago, started as a little spot, and just started getting bigger and bigger and now its at this!!! Pretty soon the whole trunk will be bare. Thanks. Peace!
Old 11-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (MJ23FE)

thats a ******* bitch. new paintjob.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Accord94DX)

what the hell happen?
dude it eats up paint faster than cancer
Old 11-14-2002, 10:37 PM

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Accord94DX)

thats a ******* bitch.
dude i love the picture you took it shows great detail. just get a new paint job. i really dont think the subs could have caused that but yet again anything is possible.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (WhoNeedsVtec)

thats a ******* bitch.

dude i love the picture you took it shows great detail. just get a new paint job. i really dont think the subs could have caused that but yet again anything is possible.
Do you really think the pic is good or are you mocking me? Just so you know i just took the pic with my buddies new Nikon Cool Pix 2500 digi cam, and it was like 2am. **** the paint job... this car is my hooptie, i just wanted to see what you guys thought was the source, and if anyone has had this happen to them.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:53 PM

maybe some one put bologna on your trunk(maybe that dosent like you) and it baked in the sun fing up your paint. hey it could have happened
Does it feel rough when you touch it?

[Modified by WhoNeedsVtec, 2:54 AM 11/15/2002]
Old 11-14-2002, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (WhoNeedsVtec)

maybe some one put bologna on your trunk(maybe that dosent like you) and it baked in the sun fing up your paint. hey it could have happened
Does it feel rough when you touch it?

[Modified by WhoNeedsVtec, 2:54 AM 11/15/2002]
Yeah it does feel rough where the clearcoat has peeled off. It could be a possibility that someone did do that, but i didnt see any bologna marks or anything that would hint towards that. LoL ::laughing at what i wrote "bologna marks" laughing some more::
Old 11-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats not a pretty sight......
Might as well paint it over, but I still don't think some JL subs would do that
Old 11-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (JDM_CB7)

Thats not a pretty sight......
Might as well paint it over, but I still don't think some JL subs would do that
I do not think that they would do that either. But they might have contributed to the quick spread of the peeling. When it rains and water gets under the already peeled paint, and when the trunk vibrates from the bass, water gets under the paint more and that paint itself is vibrated allowing more and more water to seep in further. That is my theory for the time, and i think its the only logical one.
Who knows! All i know is that it is a great way to keep people from looking or being interested in stealing my POS!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but if it's just the trunk the paint may have been redone at sometime and is finally letting go. Seen all the GM cars with that condition ? Our '94 LeSabre didn't do it until last summer, 7 years old. It's pretty rare to see it that bad on Honda's, although my '91 EX has some small spots like that and most of the upper surface is getting "crow's feet" in the clearcoat. It's just the nature of the stuff after long exposure to UV radiation and airborne pollutants. Especially if you park for extended periods near any chemical plants or in rural areas where they spread a lot of fertilizer etc.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Hippie)

I've seen that a lot on third gens. My 89 has almost all of the clearcoat picked off. Once a little chip comes off the clearcoat around it loosens and the it peels eventually spreading out of control. Ahhhhh, it's a paint eating virus!!!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Stew Pidasso)

thats a pretty common thing to happen on a car that age. Definately not caused by the subs. best thing you can do is sand it down and paint it. since you already said you aren't doing that the next best thing you can do is keep it waxed. even if you don't normally wax your car, you should do it on this section. reason is that the paint that is left will fade very quickly now that the clearcoat is gone. eventually it will get thin enough that the metal will start to surface rust.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (jweller)

thats a pretty common thing to happen on a car that age. Definately not caused by the subs. best thing you can do is sand it down and paint it. since you already said you aren't doing that the next best thing you can do is keep it waxed. even if you don't normally wax your car, you should do it on this section. reason is that the paint that is left will fade very quickly now that the clearcoat is gone. eventually it will get thin enough that the metal will start to surface rust.
You do mean, this don't you: Even if you don't normally wash your car. I have had the thing for 2 years now. It's probably been washed about a total of 3 times, and i use armorall and the interior constantly. That's probably the only thing i have been consistant with. I really do not care much for the car, since it was a POS hand me down. I take care of her in terms of driving, but i can barely even do that considering she is an auto, and auto that slips from 2nd to 3rd, and auto thats the laziest, slushiest, dumbest auto in the whole god damn world. Yeah, i know its the computers fault for those god damn 4th to 2nd shifts when your already going 45mph and all you want is to get into 3rd gear, but still, i atleast wish i had a manual. Than the ECU wouldn't seem THAT bad.
Yeah so getting back to the whole peeling clear coat thing. Thanks for all your contributions of theory's. I will be taking another pic of it today in the sunlight, so that you guys can better those theory's. Thanks again! PEACE!

EDIT:: Forgot to add, i should probably wax the trunk, so it does not rust up like you said... that would definately suck a fat tig ol lady hanging down to the knees bitty!

[Modified by MJ23FE, 9:27 AM 11/15/2002]

[Modified by MJ23FE, 12:07 PM 11/15/2002]
Old 11-15-2002, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let it go.. it will make it sooo soo so sleeper
Old 11-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Life is Suffering

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (KTeller8)

Jalal, I'll talk to my dad's friend Harold for you to see about getting you a trunklid. It'll be about $75-125, and the paint will be in good shape.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's that big of a POS why worry about it ? DA it smooth and hit it with some Krylon Clear Acrylic so it's at least kinda shiny and to hell with it. If it was mine I'd just DA it and shoot it with some gray primer. After all it's just a beater, right ?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Brandon)

let it go.. it will make it sooo soo so sleeper
I would, but there is NOTHING sleeper about it. Just a stock F22 with drop in K&N air filter. The suspension is totally stock, and i think the only thing changed in the life of the car has been its front struts. The rear shocks, and all 4 springs are still factory i believe! It's a POS!!! UGH! But hey, i can still do 90mph with ease!!!
Jalal, I'll talk to my dad's friend Harold for you to see about getting you a trunklid. It'll be about $75-125, and the paint will be in good shape.
Dude, Brandon that would be so awesome if you could get me a good deal on a trunk. Only real reason why i would want to change it would be because i would not want it to rust and just.... you know.... rust. Whenever you went to close the trunk and it was wet, you would probably get rusty crap all over your hand.
ALSO, my trunk would not serve as a bench anymore for the girls that want to feel the wrath of my [3] 10W0's.
Remember, although not posted, the car is nicknamed the Climax System.
Girls love sitting on my trunk! And in my back seat! And in my front seat! And when i am drunk and hilusinating girls also love to sit in my lap!

[Modified by MJ23FE, 12:17 PM 11/15/2002]
Old 11-15-2002, 03:03 PM

This is cancer of the trunk. I give you 6 months max. THe only thing that may help is medicinal marijuana.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (DillHole)

This is cancer of the trunk. I give you 6 months max. THe only thing that may help is medicinal marijuana.
Yeah man, i know. I am going to make its final days as comforting as possible. I'm thinking something along the lines of having some nice scrumcious toosh sitting on it. Basically giving it as much love as possible, it does deserve it.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:26 AM
Life is Suffering

Girls love sitting on my trunk!
Maybe that has something to do with it....
Old 11-16-2002, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Brandon)

They got some sandy asses!
Old 11-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (DillHole)

My trunk was given only 6 months also. I tried the medicinal marijuana also (you blow it onto the paint right?) but it didn't seem to help (the car anyway).
Unfortunately it has spread...

Old 11-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (Stew Pidasso)

My trunk was given only 6 months also. I tried the medicinal marijuana also (you blow it onto the paint right?) but it didn't seem to help (the car anyway).
Unfortunately it has spread...
I only hope that does not happen to my car. It does not look like it is going to becasue there are no signs of the clearcoat coming off anywhere else.
Are you doing anything to help it? Are you just going to let the disease take its course?
I only hope Brandon can come through and get me a new trunk lid.
I atleast know that i am not alone in the world!
Old 11-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 4:11 PM 11/17/2006
Old 11-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad does this look to you guys... (schlit)

That looks like your color coat is gone too. That is exactly what happened to the top surfaces of my wife's '94 Buick. If you ARE down to primer it will start rusting SOON. We had to have ours stripped and repainted. I have never seen a Honda that bad, GM's and MoPar's usually. On those it was caused by improper paint curing at the factory.

Quick Reply: How bad does this look to you guys...