Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

90 Accord climate control knobs - how to get at the back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Accord climate control ***** - how to get at the back?

Hi,

I've been lurking and doing searches here for a few days and have been able to find a good amount of information but require some meore. Here goes:

I've got a 1990 Accord 4 cylinder, Auto transmission.

Both the temperature adjust dial **** and the blower moter dial **** are broken, each in its own special way...

The blower ****'s metal spline is broken about 1/2 way in. It can be used if one pushes toward the dash while dialing and has the **** in the right spot.

The temp control **** has become detached from the cable that (please correct me if wrong) goes to the heater control valve. The heater control valve and cable are sticky so I can see how this could have come about.

The FAQ on removing the bezel is quite helpful but I'm not sure I need to do all that to get at the back of these *****. Does anybody know? Is it just easier to do that than hack the crap out of your hands and car trying to tear out all the pieces of the climate control assembly?

I'm headed to the junkyard on Saturday to do a little investigative dissasembly but I'd like as much info as I can get before then.

Has anyone had to do this?

Does anyone know of a series of pictures like I've seen for getting at the cluster in later models?

Do the parts I'm talking about come apart from the climate control instrument panel assembly or are they integrated such that I need to get the whole thing?

Thanks for any experience, advice, links.
Rob
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 Accord climate control ***** - how to get at the back?

its more economical to get **** from the junkyard. it only costs a few bucks. I saw a thread awhile ago with a picture of a mask assembly on honda tech 1990-2002 Honda
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I fully planned on obtaining my parts from the junkyard, but was trying to get as much information as possible before that, as I could only go on the weekend.

Thanks for your reply.

If anyone has this same problem and finds this thread in the future, the parts do come apart from the rectangular HVAC cluster that also holds the buttons, but the bezel has to come off (see FAQ section) and the radio and the little box underneath it have to come out. There is more information online as well. I have another thread on a different site where somebody posted a blow-up of the hvac cluster. I found that a screwdriver with multiple magnetic bits, a really long skinny phillips driver and a really short phillips driver were all needed at one time or another. Mostly the magnetic one.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, my cold/hot dial has disconnected itself in the back also. The dash trim, stereo, and many other pieces have to come out.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe not Raf99. I was able to reattach mine by taking out the radio and the little box attached to it and reaching up behind. The plastic guard under the moving parts is bendable so you can wrap you finger around and try to put the circular end of the cable back on the pin. I found that it still worked hard and not great, so I replaced it with the junkyard piece, including cable anyway. It works much easier now, everything opens and closes all the way, and I'm not worried that the cable will pop off any more.

The one thing I had trouble with was the dashboard dimmer switch. I broke its faceplate digging it out of the dash. Good Luck!