Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning problem

Just had the a/c serviced a few weeks ago and now have an interesting problem. Cold air will blow from the passenger side vents, but not the driver's side. There is airflow, and it does cool down occasionally, but mostly it feels like just the vent is on. Switching settings on the control panel doesn't help. The car does not have dual climate control, and the fan operates normally. Any suggestions? The car is an '03 Accord LX four door.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air conditioning problem

sounds like some of the venting inside the dash is messed up... or not opening properly..
Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like it's low on refrigerant. What was done when the ac was serviced? If it's been an issue since the service, it's possible they did not properly charge the system. If this issue started sometime after the service than there is a leak.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The entire system was replaced a year ago after the compressor failed. It's still under warranty, so when they serviced it, the shop evacuated the system and serviced the refrigerant. It's blowing cold, just not from the drivers side.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should get the vent pipes checked.

It's possible they forgot to connect a pipe. etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Air leaks are common on systems that have had evaporators replaced, because the service techs do not take the time to retape/refoam the gaps.

It kinda sounds like the mode door is not functioning properly, do some quick tests so we can help you more.

Tell us, from side to side, what happens.

Does the heat function on both sides?
Is the air speed relatively the same side to side at all speeds?
Do you symptoms occur in other modes? (IE defrost, floor)
Does the recirculation door function?
Does blocking the passenger vents restore cold air flow on the drivers side?

Systems can have problems like this due to lack of charge. Most dual A/C mini-vans with low refrigerant may cool sufficiently in the front. but absolutely squat for the rear. This is due to the way A/C works, if there is low charge, only a small portion of the evaporator gets cold, and depending on the position of the mode door, one side could get colder than the other simply due to design, but kinda serves as a diagnostic aid as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem as you in my 05 accord, and the problem ended up being that it was low on refrigerant, mine blew cold on the two passenger side vents, but the two driver side vents blew like i just had the fan on. maybe your low on charge? i would get it checked out.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again, refrigerant was just serviced. It is not a dual mode system.

I haven't tried the heat or defrost functions yet, but on recirc it does the same thing - blows cold on the passenger side only. I noticed last week that it will intermittently blow cold on the driver's side. Air speed is the same both sides, and it will change with increase or decrease in the fan speed setting. I'll try the other functions and closing off the passenger vents to see what happens.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmex
Once again, refrigerant was just serviced. It is not a dual mode system.

I haven't tried the heat or defrost functions yet, but on recirc it does the same thing - blows cold on the passenger side only. I noticed last week that it will intermittently blow cold on the driver's side. Air speed is the same both sides, and it will change with increase or decrease in the fan speed setting. I'll try the other functions and closing off the passenger vents to see what happens.
Doesnt matter if the refrigerant was just serviced. It could have leaked. take it back and have it checked. Sounds like a low charge or poor duct sealing/routing
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For some reason, my post was completely ignored, why don't we try and look at it again, so we can, um, help?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
For some reason, my post was completely ignored, why don't we try and look at it again, so we can, um, help?
Meh, Most people just want the answer handed to them with out having to spend any money or do any work. you know how that is......

(11 year CMAT and L1 tech myself)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Trial User

Refridg. level is low prob. one of the service ports leaking
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got a chance to drive the car again today. Heat, defrost, recirc and temp control all function normally. Air volume increases and decreases with the blower switch. Shutting off the pax side vent increases the airflow to the rest of them. After I drive the car for about ten or fifteen minutes, the driver's side vents start blowing cold air again.

So it does sound like a leak or low refrigerant. I'll take the car back and have them look at it again, as it's still under warranty.

Thanks for the help, everyone..

slowcivic2k and DCFIVER; your comments were not appreciated. Please let me know what shops you work for so I can advise people not to take their cars there. Hope you don't treat your customers like that.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do not need to appreciate my diagnostic steps, just follow them and you will find the answer you seek, that's why me and DCFIVER are here... to prevent you from blowing your cash on hunches.

Sounds like low refrigerant or a bad expansion valve possibly due to debris.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Trial User

Question?
Where would you find the expansion valve on the 90's civics?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slrrls
Question?
Where would you find the expansion valve on the 90's civics?
All civics up to 2000 have an expansion valve attached to the evaporator, requires that part to be removed to replace it.

Never had to replace a metering valve on an 2001 and never Honda yet, they may use an H-block now, never really paid a whole lot of attention.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Trial User

Man they sure don't make that one easy.

I've had the car 4 years now. The air never worked. I replaced the compressor and rec/dryer as well as added freon last year but it still would not switch on. I also replaced the little switch next to the coil at the radiator.
Lost interest in it last year. Gave it to my daughter and would like to get it working for her.
When ever in the past I had one that would not switch on I would replace the compressor and rec/dryer then load and they would work.
When I bought the comp and rec/dryer they also sold me the expansion valve saying the mfg would not warranty the parts unless I installed this too. So I'm guessing it is time to install it and see if it helps. Any ideas would help. It is a 93 del sol.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

Took the car back to the shop this week. The compressor was still under warranty, so it and the expansion valve were replaced. The system was evacuated and reserviced. This did not fix the problem. It still blows nice and cold from the right side vents, but not the left. The tech measured a 40 degree difference in air temp at the vents from left to right. There were no refrigerant leaks found.

A few observations - all the other settings, heat, defrost, max air, floor, etc, work normally. If I rev the engine to 2k rpm in park, or it's at 2k or above while driving, cool air will blow from the left vents, but not as cold as the right ones. Air velocity from the fan will increase and decrease equally on both sides when the fan speed is changed.

Troubleshooting continues.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jetmex
Finally got a chance to drive the car again today. Heat, defrost, recirc and temp control all function normally. Air volume increases and decreases with the blower switch. Shutting off the pax side vent increases the airflow to the rest of them. After I drive the car for about ten or fifteen minutes, the driver's side vents start blowing cold air again.

So it does sound like a leak or low refrigerant. I'll take the car back and have them look at it again, as it's still under warranty.

Thanks for the help, everyone..

slowcivic2k and DCFIVER; your comments were not appreciated. Please let me know what shops you work for so I can advise people not to take their cars there. Hope you don't treat your customers like that.
But they are absolutely right. I've tried helping people, even in person, to try and get them to think things out and walk them through the Diag process, with hopes that they will learn something from the experience. Most people seem to just want to throw parts at anything nowadays.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got to have ac working in top shape with Houston heat
Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm so they replaced these parts and just told you we didn't fix the problem and just let you go home? They should diag. farther at that point..
If AC is blowing cold on passenger side but not driver side... I know that it can't be AC refrig. It must be air mix vent problem. I would check for air mix vent cable/motor. If vent is stuck open or not shut all the way, heat can mix in with cold air and will blow warm air.

Last edited by HNDA_4SHOOR; 07-08-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Trial User

I know this is a old post but did you ever get it fixed? if so what fixed it?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I would also like to know the outcome.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Trial User

I have same issue, blowing warm driver side cold passenger side. i noticed before it started I could hear a fluttering sound coming from behind the instrument panel. Fluttering has stopped but now have the temp difference. Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy yourself a r134 gauge set and get amitchell
Online DIY subscription and figure it out yoursel
That's how I learned. We can only guide
You in the right direction. For the price of taking it
To the shop you will get the tool, knowledge, experience and
Satisfaction of figuring it out yourself. Don't
Be afraid of taking anything apart.
ASE dual Master Tech