Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Popping after new LCA bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping after new LCA bushings...

So my fiance's car (2001 Civic LX) has had bad compliance bushings for a while and last weekend I finally decided to replace them. While I had the front LCAs off, I also replaced the rear bushings and the right ball joint that got murdered during the removal process. The car is bone stock, no mods whatsoever, and has 103k miles on it. Once I got everything back together, I go to drive the car and it has a strange popping sound every time I pull out from a complete stop and randomly while driving down the road.

My first thought was that maybe the front swaybar end links were shot, so I went to Honda today and bought new ones. Installed those, and the popping is still there. Tried tightening the end links with both wheels off the ground at the same time and then again with both wheels on the ground. Still popping. I didn't have the popping before I replaced the LCA bushings, but now I can't get it to go away. I haven't had the car aligned yet because I'd like to finish messing with the suspension prior to spending more money on that. I've tried turning the springs to "seat" them but it hasn't helped.

Today I had a mechanic put the car on a lift and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Everything was tight, nothing was worn. He suggested to just keep driving on it until something breaks. However, it's pretty embarassing and I know it isn't normal, so I'd like to figure it out. Any ideas here?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popping after new LCA bushings...

You should call Car Talk--see if you can get on "Stump the Chumps."

Did you tighten the LCA bolts with the suspension loaded?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sad story from Mechanic..
Few question for Vagabund07,so you may think what was wrong when you replace.
1.when you compliance bushing, there should be arrow mark on new bushing and it should be pointed to outward.(hard to explain by word). If you have 180 degree turn, there is a chance LCA can slightly touch with engine cradle.
2.You replaced rear bushings of LCA. Did you use press? because it always seized and you gotta use torch to remove or replace LCA with vehicle.
Anyway, When you put LCA back, LCA should be 180 degree from ground then tighten rear bushing bolt. If you just tightened while vehicle is on air, rear bushing will be stressed and can make noise after sit on ground.
3.Have you check sway bar bushings? It is very common the sway bar bushing worn and
makes noise for 2001 year(cause 01 and 02,03... uses different bushing size).
Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the same popping noise coming from the front, right side in my 2003 civic ex with 79k miles and it's pissing me off! I'm no mechanic but could it be the control arm or an end link? Whatever it is I hope to get it checked out within the week and get it fixed and I'll let you know what's up. You should do the same There was a thread here not too long ago with the same problem i believe, but i guess they deleted the thread
Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same here
The lower ball joint is coming off and on making the sound
Replace them with ones with stop ring

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 05-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by emicha1
Same here
The lower ball joint is coming off and on making the sound
Replace them with ones with stop ring

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
How can that be? The spindle pulls on the b/j in the opposite direction that they get installed.

My front pops due to bad struts.