Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Adding aux input on OEM Integra Radio.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding aux input on OEM Integra Radio.

I am getting fed up with making cds, and having to listen too the radio. I use Pandora daily, and play music through the Cell. I am also wanting to keep the OEM radio, the aftermarket ones look too cheesy and I cant stand them.

I couldn't find anything for the integra radio, anyone ever complete the task, or can it even be done ?

I went to junk yard this morning and found one the same as the stock radio, cut used headphones I had laying around, and stuck now because I cant seem to get it to work. I used the left side into bottom left pin, right side into bottom right pin and ground into the bottom one.

Alpine Pin# Acura Pin# Pin Name Pin Function Wire (ext) Wire (int.)
8 8 GND Ground Black Orange/White
6 6 BATT +12V Yellow Blue/White
7 7 ACC Accessory Red White
1 1 BUS Bus Green Red/White
3 3 B.G Bus Ground Black Orange/White
4 2 R Right Signal Red Blue/White
2 4 S.G Signal Ground Black White
5 5 L Left Signal White Red/White
Shell Shell Chassis Chassis Ground Black Chassis

I used an ohmmeter to see which wire went to what pin, put them together without soldering, inserted blank cd and nothing.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Adding aux input on OEM Integra Radio.

http://www.amazon.com/USA-SPEC-PA11-.../dp/B000NN9SMK

Use the additional input it provides for the cell phone, or anything else you'd like to connect.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im really not an expert on this it all, but Im pretty sure you are going to need to make the bus connections think there is load attatched to to input (a changer). I don't think that just sending a left and right audio signal is going to be suffiecient enough to allow you to be able to tell your radio to turn the changer control input on. We need to be able to tell your changer input that there is a changer hooked up to it when there actually isn't. I know there are plenty of products out there that will allow you to turn that changer input into a standard rca input, but somehow it also transmits some kind of data to the radio through the bus connection letting the radio know the changer is actually hooded up. Im sure it is done by transmitting some kind of small amount of voltage coming out of your pin #7 into one of your bus inputs, if I find it, and noone else has posted it for you, ill get back to you. I think the easiest thing to do would be to get the stock changer, cut out pins # 4 and # 5 (your left and right audio pins) and conneting your left and right rca or headphone pins to this, and grounding your headphone or rca ground side to pin #8. I know there is a way to do it without the actual changer in the car, however I don't know how much voltage the bus connector needs to be able to see in order for your stock radio to activate the stock changer control. Ill get back to this thread if no one posts the info we need first...
Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sorry man, eveything i try to find on the honda/acura data bus protocol just wants to sell me something. I cant find anything specific on voltage for data transmission through bus protocol. However, all the parts are relatively inexpensive, that being a plus... I wish I could help more, but hopefully here on Honda-Tech, someone actually knows the needed info... at this point, Im thinking just buy one of those adapaters... PIE seems to be fairly popular, and the're not very expensive.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

O well, thanks for trying to help. There has to be a way, im going to try again tonight. Me and my buddy did it too his RX8 and had to take the whole radio apart and solder inside. His works perfectly fine and there were plenty of diy's and info for his. I just cant seem to get it to work for some reason.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This guy I found on CI, bought an Alpine 8pin cable, then hooked it up to a Male RCA + 3.5mm cable..It didn't fit because of the 8pin, but could I solder it onto the pin I got from junkyard because its a direct fit and make it work ?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, IDK why I can't find it for this 8 pin connector, I found some ppl soldering inside of the indash CD part, for left and righ audio signal on the circuilt board, and I've found stuff for Pioneer's IP-bus, but it didn't require data transfer for load information. All they did for the IP-bus was give it left and right positive and negative input (four wires), and it was good to go. If you find out how to do it, would you mind posting the info so we have if for later?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AlAddiN|502
This guy I found on CI, bought an Alpine 8pin cable, then hooked it up to a Male RCA + 3.5mm cable..It didn't fit because of the 8pin, but could I solder it onto the pin I got from junkyard because its a direct fit and make it work ?
Yeah, I found something on that, they just had to swap left and right audio bc the alpine pin was different from the acura. I honestly don't know if it will work in this case. I think they left the factory alpine changer in the vehicle, with a blank cd playing that had zero audio recorded on it to make it work.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about soldering it inside, but no luck finding a diagram. Could you try looking for it, if you cant come up with anything ill just try to trace it back to find it and solder inside. Also, yeah, I will post what ever I find !
Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK man, I don't wanna say anything else for risk of damaging your vehicle, but ive been searching for like an hour. I found your rx-8 hack that you did, and i found another for the newer honda's with the 16 pin aux in plug. My guess at this point is hooking up left and right channels like you've already done, do signal ground with the unshielded part of your headphone wires, but after that, i gotta leave it alone. We need to apply voltage to your bus system, so the radio recognizes that the bus is activated, and it will let you change sources on your oem radio to cd changer mode. I just have no idea how much voltage to send to that. It would be through the bus connector. My guess is that you would have voltage come out of your acc pin on that 8 pin connector, and we need to send some of that to the bus pin, I just don't know how much. If its my radio, Im just gonna get the PIE piece and call it a day... I wish I could help you more, but Ive tried for prob longer than any normal person would at this point, and I don't wanna be responsible if your radio gets damaged somehow...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your fine, its just making me want to get it done. You've been right about that the whole time, I was just being hard headed and trying to make it less simple. It just aggravated me because the RX8 was simple because it had so much info and a diagram which I cant seem to find anywhere.

It would have to been done like that, use a cd changer and solder into 2 wires to play the audio, find a diagram and go one from there, or just buy a newer system with aux. Whats the PIE piece you speak of ?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=hon-aux

I know $60 bucks costs a lot more than just headphone plugs, but it saves a headache... I promise you, I tried to find a way to hack into that 8 pin plug, I just couldn't find it... no one posted anything on it. Atleast this way you get to keep your stock radio, and its plug and play. No guess work or research needed. You could wait a cpl days before ordering it and see if anyone had done it without the part, but hasn't had a chance to post on your thread yet, You may be able to just google 'oem aux in for integra' and find it for cheaper, that was just the first link i found for you, but either way, I wish you good luck!

PS... Ive used the part before, and it works quite well. You should enjoy it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, once again. I think I will just wait a couple days and see where that goes.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Trial User

Any luck on this one guys? I've been pondering this for a few months as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up buying this off ebay, works perfect !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...#ht_2627wt_856
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can usually open up a factory radio and solder directly onto the board at the internal amplifier's inputs, but you usually have to have either a blank noise CD playing or a dead FM station playing in the background. Not quite audiophile quality. Like Joeymc13 said, there's more to it than running a line input.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, I may buy one of those, and put my meter on it and find out exactly what its doing. Measure resistance and find out what type of load the bus is reading to allow it to turn on so the left and right inputs pass audio.. If I can get those measurements, we may be able to figure out how to just throw a resistor in there, and send audio through it to accomplish the needed task. If it ends up being a cost effective and easy to do endeavor, it may be worth it to give that info the Honda-Tech community. Im sure parts wise, we'd end up spending less than $10, but its just a matter of how easy the task is to accomplish, to see if its worth saving that extra $40...

Are you listening to your MP3 player through the changer mode on the stock stereo with that piece? What is the procedure you have to do to get the radio into the proper mode to play your aux input?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang, you paid $50 bucks for that cable?

I just did the same thing on my old Blaupunkt radio. I searched for the past couple of days trying to find the pinout for it without much luck. I eventually figured it out myself though and got it working today

Anyway, you said in your first post that you used a blank CD. Did you mean literally a blank CD? You should be using a CD full of dead/silent tracks (or a single dead track on repeat) as opposed a "blank" CD.

If you have ground, L, and R correct and are using a CD with dead/silent tracks, there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't work.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by James89DX
Dang, you paid $50 bucks for that cable?

I just did the same thing on my old Blaupunkt radio. I searched for the past couple of days trying to find the pinout for it without much luck. I eventually figured it out myself though and got it working today

Anyway, you said in your first post that you used a blank CD. Did you mean literally a blank CD? You should be using a CD full of dead/silent tracks (or a single dead track on repeat) as opposed a "blank" CD.

If you have ground, L, and R correct and are using a CD with dead/silent tracks, there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't work.
We meant silent track. It still won't work, with left, right, and ground, bc the bus data transfer system on the oem radio won't recognize a load to activate the input. That was what the whole thread was about...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

useful thread here, i want to add that this is on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALPIN...fAudioQ5fVideo

wonder if it does the same thing as that $50+ device?

anyone figure out the wiring to do this to a 3.5mm without an aux cd changer/player?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any new info on tricking a stock head unit to think there is a CD player plugged in - and thereby be able to use the multipin round CD player jack for an AUX input? If it matters my car is a 1994 Integra. I know you can buy modules that accomplish this. I want to do it cheap! Seems like something perfect for this forum...
Old 01-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Trial User

Hello, I see this is an old thread but the EQ ready radios use a plug on the back that goes to that port on the back which is essentially a loopback if you remove it then it enters into a defeat mode killing all of the input to the radio. One could solder connections to the analog inputs on an EQ ready radio and a switch to go into the loop. The CD changer radios accept analog input from these as well but will actually play over what is playing on the radio. One could insert a blank tape to the radio and it a headphone jack in possibly ?