Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Tow Strap Pic Request

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Strap Pic Request

I did some searching, and there are a lot of threads talking about tow straps, but I couldn't find any pics which were still working as most of those threads are quite old. I just ordered my I/O Port strap and will be installing it this upcoming week and just wanted to see some examples of how others attached it to the car. I have some ideas, but never hurts to see what others have done.

Currently my plan will be to use the front bumper beam, but eventually I'll need to find another way as I may switch to a JDM front bumper support. Also, I'd currently like the strap to come out thru the grill so I don't have to cut a hole in the bumper, but the strap isn't here yet and I haven't pulled the bumper off to mock it up, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tow Strap Pic Request

search harder. we covered this exact topic (tow strap on jdm beam integra)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Search Even harder cause I found a pic in .009 sec
I'll make it easy for you..
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...t=bumper+strap

Your idea is sound in using the bumper support. Thats where we all mount them to.
depending on where you mount it you might have to put a slot in the actual bumper cover.
No biggie though.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lo-Buck EF
search harder. we covered this exact topic (tow strap on jdm beam integra)
I read that topic last week, but it wasn't exactly full of pics. There are a couple solid tow hooks and one example of a u-bolt attached to the bumper support which could then have a strap attached to it.

I'm just trying to check out my options and see what others have done. The topic has been covered, yes, but like I said, most of the photos are not around anymore. I know you guys in this forum don't like re-posts (and neither do I), and that's why I'm not looking to discuss mounting methods or have any sort of lengthy conversation or debate, just looking for photos, just trying to provide some visual aids to compliment the multiple tow strap/hook threads from the past.

Originally Posted by dirty19
Search Even harder cause I found a pic in .009 sec
I'll make it easy for you..
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...t=bumper+strap

Your idea is sound in using the bumper support. Thats where we all mount them to.
depending on where you mount it you might have to put a slot in the actual bumper cover.
No biggie though.
Yeah, I found that thread too, but that's a different strap with different attachment method (although it could be adapted to work w/ my style of strap).

Originally Posted by heel_touge

THANK YOU! That's more of what I was looking for. I had not thought about bolting it directly to the beam like that and then wrapping it around. That makes sense to do it that way though considering that if you bolt it right on and pull the strap thru it'll pull on the metal attachment end at a 90deg angle which seems less than ideal. I was assuming I'd have to bolt it to the top or bottom of the beam so that the strap pulled straight on the end.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Just be careful about starting a thread with "post up your pics"
About the only thing that gets posted continuously is in the TA picture area.
Many noobs start those redundant threads like post up your this or that, and never search.
For the most part the mods will correct them pretty fast, but theres always those who dont like reading for some strange reason and they post anyway.
Here we dont tend to spoon feed noobs.. We guide and ask them to read read read.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I completely understand, I'm not a noob by any means, I've been on H-T and G2ic for 10yrs now. I'm usually the person telling others to search... You guys aren't familiar w/ me in this forum as I don't post really at all, but this and the for sale section are pretty much the only areas of H-T I bother with anymore, and most of my time is spent using the search function. In this instance I found a decent amount of info, but lots of posts from '02, '03, '04... which originally had photos and they no longer are being hosted somewhere. Possibly I should have picked one of those threads and simply asked for more pics. I've been seeing this a lot lately, telling noobs to search for posts that I remember vividly from 5-10yrs ago but once I find them myself they're not as useful as I remember due to lack of pics or the fact that a lot has transpired in the time since that post.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering - how strong is the bumper support (crosspiece)? The reason I ask, is that on my car, the tow hook was welded to the crosspiece, but when I had to get towed, the crosspiece pulled right off the car. The bolts were fine, but the crosspiece was made of pretty thin metal, and the metal actually sheared a little ways from the bolts. The tow guy said that the tow hook or strap is actually supposed to be strong enough that they could left the front of the car if they had to. Where they park the tow trucks, they usually keep a bunch of parts that come off the cars they pulled in, and there were quite a few of the bumper crosspieces, but I'm not sure what make of car they were from. - Jim
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
Just wondering - how strong is the bumper support (crosspiece)? The reason I ask, is that on my car, the tow hook was welded to the crosspiece, but when I had to get towed, the crosspiece pulled right off the car. The bolts were fine, but the crosspiece was made of pretty thin metal, and the metal actually sheared a little ways from the bolts. The tow guy said that the tow hook or strap is actually supposed to be strong enough that they could left the front of the car if they had to. Where they park the tow trucks, they usually keep a bunch of parts that come off the cars they pulled in, and there were quite a few of the bumper crosspieces, but I'm not sure what make of car they were from. - Jim
Hey Jim,

The OEM bumper supports are fairly beefy on your model car, however you might of had an aftermarket piece on yours if it ripped out that easy.
I am told those ones are no better than tin foil.
Chris Smith had one rip off his car last month at T-hill when he was being towed in.
Hit up a wrecking yard and see if you can grab one from there instead of these craigslist autobody parts places.
Those places are good for fenders, and such but that piece needs to be OEM to be able to take a tow.

Colin I hear ya man the search feature sucks here now. Try one word searches from now on.
Stinky created a search sticky just in case people actually want to read.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always hear that people hate the search feature, but I never have problems. Between choosing specific forums, certain terms, title or full posts... I usually don't have problems finding anything unless it simply isn't there. In this case I found info, just no pics. And I'm still interested to see what creative solutions people have come up with for using the JDM support. In the other thread pretty much everyone just said to mod the bumper and use the USDM support (doesn't apply to me anyway since I have a DB2 and not a DC).
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Suspetise...

Jim, how did you have the bolts supported? If the washers weren't big enough (or weren't there at all) that could lead to a failure. Hard to tell if that could've been related to yours without pics though.

Colin, the problem you describe with old pics is a big problem here. We have so many formerly-great threads that are basically worthless now because the pics are no longer hosted on their original servers. For that reason, we try to encourage folks to attach them to their posts here, as they won't be deleted as long as the site is running.

The close-up shot here is my car, which is one of the "standard" methods I've seen. The actual strap isn't shown, but you can figure out that it loops through there. I wanted a soft strap, and this method worked out better for me.

The Integra is Sander's car. You can see he has a bolt going all the way through the top and bottom of the bumper, and most of the metal strap end is supported by the bottom of the bumper.

Edit: Sorry, that pic quality is crap. Apparently my phone pics look way worse when full-sized

Double-edit: CRAP, I missed that you have a JDM bumper support. I would NOT advise using that. That's really there just to hold the bumper skin up, I doubt it would hold up to lifting the car. Modding the US support really isn't that bad, you just go to town on the plastic end-caps.
Attached Images   
Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know what a db2 is or what the jdm beam looks like for that chassis but using the us beam its easy to bolt the strap through the beam with large washers. That's how sander and I have it. I have been tow'd in many times with that set up and it works just fine.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Suspetise...

The JDM beam is like 1-2" square stock. And...that's it. It's been awhile, but I'm more inclined to think it's closer to 1" wide.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stinky, thanks for the pic!

And just to clarify... A DB2 is a 92-93 GSR. I currently have a USDM front bumper support and that's what I'll be using for the time being. I would never even consider mounting a tow strap to a JDM bumper support as they're extremely flimsy.

The bumper supports on the G2 integras are slightly different from the G3's, but the same concepts should apply. Here's a link with pics of the USDM and JDM supports.

http://www.kurisukurusu.com/carstuff...tda/index.html

Currently I'm going to use the USDM support. It'll be the easiest solution, especially since I need to get it mounted before I head to Buttonwillow in the 25th. But down the line I would like to use the JDM support in order to get some weight off the front end. My guess is that when I change supports I'll have to come up with a much more creative solution, and probably do some fabbing. So in my instance, pics of both setups are useful.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, ok. You could make a 90* bracket to bolt to the end of the rails where the bumper beam mounts to. Or make one that mounts to the tow hook locations. Or bolt it to the front crossmember.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my io port bolted where the factory tow hook is the hole is big enough and I kiser a oversize washer for better load on the bracket if ever used. It sticks out long enough without issue. It dosent interface with the front spliter mount either. With it there I don't think you will have a issue with the JDM front bumper bar. Ohh this is mounted on a 99 civic hb. I'll see if I can get pics later today.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Suspetise...

A probably-stronger alternative to the JDM support that I've seen is to use a single bent tube of rollbar DOM with two supports welded on. Stronger than that square stock, but still lighter than the big US one. I've had plans to do this for a long time, but never got around to it. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. This also would not be legal for H2-H5 if the car were going to be raced in Honda Challenge.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My strap just arrived in the mail, along with the hardware I needed to mount my harness's 5th point.

TopDog, if you get some pics that'd be great.

I wouldn't even bother with this tow strap if I still had the stock ones in place, but they had to be removed when I mounted my Full Race front crossmember. But yes, I figured that either the OE tow hook mounting location or the bumper support mounting location would be where I'd need to attach my tow strap once I change to the JDM support. Possibly the OE tow hook location would work simply with a longer bolt in there and some form of bracket to attach the strap to. That might very well be easier than trying to rig something up where the bumper support attaches. I'm not sure how it is on EG/DC's but on the DA's there's a support "block" then the support itself and all of that just complicates things a bit.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
A probably-stronger alternative to the JDM support that I've seen is to use a single bent tube of rollbar DOM with two supports welded on. Stronger than that square stock, but still lighter than the big US one. I've had plans to do this for a long time, but never got around to it. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. This also would not be legal for H2-H5 if the car were going to be raced in Honda Challenge.

Slight correction for you.

H2 Limited Preparation Vehicles Only rule states:

10.2.q) Impact bumper may be fabricated, modified, or replaced with a metal substitute (i.e. DOM tubing) to perform same function.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wanted to update with my pics. I ended up using the same basic concept as Heel Touge. Full set of pics can be found
. Forgive the small then large pics, the link generator extension I'm using for flickr is having problems generating consistent size images.

Front View
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clen/5034975907/Medium

Side view showing bolt, nut and washers
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clen/5035597774/Medium

Rear view showing how it squeezes between bumper support and bumper cover
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clen/5035597774/Medium

With bumper cover installed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clen/5034979985/Medium

And the best part, that when driven on the street I can tuck the strap completely out of the way. This thing was installed for a reason, and that reason was not looks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clen/5035601480/Medium

And I just happened to get this thing installed in the nick of time. I had an off at Buttonwillow the following day which landed me in some pretty deep silt which I couldn't get out of on my own. Tow truck hooked up easily and pulled me right out!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Suspetise...

Originally Posted by Austin
Slight correction for you.

H2 Limited Preparation Vehicles Only rule states:

10.2.q) Impact bumper may be fabricated, modified, or replaced with a metal substitute (i.e. DOM tubing) to perform same function.
Whaaaat? Last time I looked at the rules I must've missed this. I was looking specifically for it too Well, good to hear and know, thanks Austin.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Colin

Great write-up! I have a EF with Full-Race traction bar that when installed, it doesn't allow the use of both front tow hooks.

BTW which length of strap did you get?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
Colin

Great write-up! I have a EF with Full-Race traction bar that when installed, it doesn't allow the use of both front tow hooks.

BTW which length of strap did you get?
ah now i see where you got the lame idea.

unless you plan on being pulled out of a gravel trap by a cherry picker on the back of a tow truck, this is NOT useful for your street car.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
ah now i see where you got the lame idea.

unless you plan on being pulled out of a gravel trap by a cherry picker on the back of a tow truck, this is NOT useful for your street car.
who said this was for my street car?
I wouldn't even consider it if it was for a street car.
Tow hooks are for function, not a fashion statement or a trend... if i saw it that way I would of just gotten something shiny.

I only drive my ef in the summer months. past 10yrs, she's seen 5-6K.... so average that out & you'll see how seriously I don't drive my car on the streets. lol

As much as you know Tyson, sometimes it's helpful if you just answer the questions of members. I do understand that you also try to get them to think about what they are doing.

LoL - thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Colin-that is how i have mine on the last 2 race cars i built.

Quick Reply: Tow Strap Pic Request