93 Civic Si/H2B - Code 20 ELD

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic Si/H2B - Code 20 ELD

Car: '93 Civic Si
Motor/Engine: H2B
Mods: Pherable H22 mapped P28, everything else is stock.

This is a weird problem, every time i get in higher rpms around 5-8k i get Code 20. It drives perfectly, no other codes and only happens in higher rpms. VTEC doesn't engage either. Alternator and battery checks out fine, and I'm not running any audio equipment at the moment either. Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 20 ELD.

Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

(This is from memory)

Flowchart for code 20 ELD points to:

- Bad electronic load detector (built into under hood fuse box)

- Bad ECU

- Bad wiring

I do not have the flowchart here at home, or else I'd gladly post it for you. Basically you would probably want to start by picking up an under hood fuse box (probably salvage yard since new one is $170.00 at wholesale price) and swap it in to see if the code goes away.

If the new fuse box doesn't work then you can try swapping in another ECU (borrow one from a friend) and see if the code goes away.

If neither of these works then it will come down to wiring, which isn't always an easy fix that someone here can tell you about.

I'll check back here on Tuesday once I get back to the shop, and I'll post the actual flowcharts since that is really the best way to tackle a diagnostic issue. My suggestion of parts swapping is merely from a time standpoint. If you can find a $20.00 fuse box, and/or borrow an ECU then you're not out a lot of time or money.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info, i been looking everywhere for a fuse box... My local junk yards don't have them and can't seem to find them anywhere online. But anyways any luck on the flow chart?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man (almost weird) but i have the same exact problem in my prelude. recently swapped with a jdm h22a and a phearable p28 h22 base map. and i am throwing code 20 (eld) as well, but only at the top of 3rd gear i go into what ppl call is limp mode it feels like you hit a wall and only have like 10hp also vtec does not engage and my gas get eaten up at this point please let me know if yours does as well well the gas gauge just drops but eventually rises back to where it was? but besides that i have been asking every knowledgeable honda enthusiast and all they do is stare at me with a face like who the he** am i talkin to here bc they say they have thrown eld nuemerous times and nothing even happens but the mestery is why are we going in "limp mode" im borrowing my friends fuse box tom or thursday, and will be back with updates. i have put another ecu but thats to long of a story to discuss, it said i was throwing my knock sensor, egr valve, etc. etc. so rev cut was at 6500 on a p13 throwing these codes so i couldnt get a valid conclusion. im gonna borrow my friends p28 street tune and see what happend its for a b17 so hopefully nothing drastic happens with the different fuel maps but i gotta get to the bottom of this its bugging me i cant even dyno my car bc its engageing limp mode right were ppl typically hit peak power with h22s lol but ill keep this thread updated i hope this thread gets advertised soon so some one knowledgable can help me and you out bc im stuck in the same mud hole as you man but im sure some one out there has had the same problem and has fixed it but im gonna fix this problem bro! but if anyone has any input please leave a reply bc im lost out of other possibilities! thanks!

also from how i comprehended what you wrote on the origonal post you said it doesnt engage vtec at all sorry if i was mis lead but are you throwing this code in all your gears or just 3rd like me but once i hit it in 3rd it will stay on till i shut the car off but doesnt pop up until im back at the top of 3rd please let me know when your CEL pops thanks man
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Crack
But anyways any luck on the flow chart?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man just wondering on your update with the issue... fortunatley my friend with a b17 civic let me borrow his ecu, street tuned by a reputable tuner local in the area. he uses crome as a program and am not aware of what phearable uses, but i believe its ec-tune. but with a crome b17 basemap on a p72 ecu all was fine it felt slower (obviously) due to the tune lol but i went to the top of 3rd and no codes no limp mode nothing! i was so excited so immediatley switched back to my h22 basemap for "peace of mind". im confident enough to say that possibly the program phearable uses or the ecu its self messes with our set-up. i still havent got the chance to swap out different fuse boxes, for the actual ELD problem but i believe our ecu and program set-up is the culprit let me know if you came up with a different conclusion man! thanks!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn finally got my internet back.
@RonJ: Thanks for the flow chart dude gonna get to that sometime today.
@HpreludeH: Son of a bitch if it turns out not to be the fuse box, guess i'm gonna have to fork out some dough for a new ecu.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well man not really.. alot of ppl are running the p28 with the h22a so i have a feeling its with the combination of ec tune w/ the p28, so im gonna use a the same ecu just get a crome program and get a street tune by a known tuner locally. hopefully this will solve the issue! but ill figure this out once the turbo and stuff gets slapped on but hope yuu figure it out bro!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 93 Civic Si/H2B - Code 20 ELD

ELD might still be bad, you can disable it in crome IIRC.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is true but with my phearable tune when plugged into the computer it displayed eld was already disabled!!??!!?? so im really thinking its the programs combined with an h22a bc none of this happened with my friends p72 on crome but yea i will still be deleting eld when i put the crome program in needless to say
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man, i know it has been a while especially since i was the last comment; but i was just wondering if you have fixed the problem, or have even bothered with it? unfortunatley for me im still having this problem, but have not put much time into it since i do not get on it much. i kinda forgot about it to be honest but i did just fork out cash for another tuned ecu and still did it afterwards! im leaning towards a bad connection but please let me know what you found out thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone is having this exact problem HpreludeH has had (which is me) mine turned out to be the chip in the ecu and only the chip. the ecu was fine i ended up getting another p28 ecu with a h22a basemap and all problems disappeared! so to make sure what it was i put the new ecu's chip in the old ecu and still everything was fine! i put the old chip in the new ecu and wouldnt ya know... eld popped right up. i got my ecu with this problem from phearable.net they will NOT refund or exchange anything for ecu stuff they swear up and down there ecus are perfect when leaving... lol i beg to differ hope i help some ppl out in the future ahead!
Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah ive always suspected the tune or chip being the problem, I have the exact same setup but kept getting cel 20 so just put the stock p13 back in, I recently found the p28 in my garage and decided id go get it tuned lol good to see I wasnt the only one with this problem.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old thread locked.