Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

SMooTHn'z B20 VTEC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMooTHn'z B20 VTEC Problems

OK this is the 2nd time timing this cause my stupid comp did a update restart after the 10th time i clicked no it restarted on it own!

I am making this thread to help others, this information maybe useful to you in your future build.

I had a JDM b20b with GSR tranny.

A few yrs ago I traded 5 LS rims for a freshly machined JDM b16a head. 3
weeks ago I decided to install it.

I used a Golden Eagle VTEC kit and a Cometic Headgasket MLS .051"

Install was fine except i had Oil trying to squeeze through every OIL gasket it could find. I thought it was just breaking in the new OIL and head so I waited a couple days.

It didnt bother me much until i asked someone with LSVTEC if he had the sale problem, and he did, I already knew he didnt treat his motor well so I did research and it seems that the OIL squeezing thru the gaskets is the case of CRANKCASE PRESSURE.

What this does is it creates loads of pressure and used to be relieved with the PCV system but since it was eliminated after swapping heads onto the 96+ DOHC Non-VTEC (b-series) block that PCV system needs to be recreated in order to relieve the pressure in the block, thus stopping the Oil from trying to find a way out.

I make my own OIL Catch Can added a PCV Valve to it. I had to order Prelude Oil Cooler Fittings to hook my catch can too. I relieved the pressure so now it seems no more oil is trying to escape from odd places.

But I still have this damn Oil Leak from the headgasket in the front corner closest to the tranny. I checked my Oil plug and made sure nothing was obstructing the gasket from properly sitting. I tried 2x with the same Oil leak. My mechanic friend said use RTV silicone but I heard it was bad for engines. Luckily my Wifes Dad had a small bottle of Hylomar Sealant by Permatex.

Now this last night my nephew and I took off the head to check again. This time I was gonna use the RTV until i did research on this Hylomar and it seems that everyone had a good experience from using it. So i thought "Man F!@# IT, imma try this!".

First I read that my Cometic HG has the holes cut in them matched perfectly to my VTEC head but when I compared it to my b20b block some of the passages were partially blocked.

So what I did was clean the blocks surface really well and spread a thin layer of the Hylomar onto the surface where the HG sits. Then I put the Dowel pins in from the GE kit and placed the HG on top cuz the dowels pins held it where it needs to be. I could of cut the partially blocked passages up. but I dont have a tool that can cut through steel, plus I didnt want to cut the holes to big.

AFter i put the headgasket on I added another thin layer of Hylomar on top of the HG so it can properly seat to the head. After I applied it I reinstalled everything to specs and cleaned up, blazed up for a job well done. The car started fine, I thought I saw it leak but it was excess sealant. I let the car run for about 20 min. kept wiping the corner area where I saw it leak the most.

AND SO FAR NO LEAKS. Well see what happens later in the week. Hope this will help some of yall.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SMooTHn'z B20 VTEC Problems

go read this thread as well..
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...676914&page=50

i F with my head gasket two times too..

but i have a feeling its the vtec gasket is causing the leak.. i'm picking a B20 headgasket today. and gonna give it a try sometime nextweek.
you need to go for a drive not just a idle. go for a rip or two and check for leak. i hope you got it fixed
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always used an OEM b20 headgasket back then when I had my b20vtec. The only leak I had was my oil plug for my head was not flat enough with the head so it caused a leak. But externally there was no leak ever.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itr1244
go read this thread as well..

i F with my head gasket two times too..

but i have a feeling its the vtec gasket is causing the leak.. i'm picking a B20 headgasket today. and gonna give it a try sometime nextweek.
you need to go for a drive not just a idle. go for a rip or two and check for leak. i hope you got it fixed
Originally Posted by mouab18c1
I always used an OEM b20 headgasket back then when I had my b20vtec. The only leak I had was my oil plug for my head was not flat enough with the head so it caused a leak. But externally there was no leak ever.
Well I stil got my OEM gasket and another one from another JDM b20b. > what im a bout to do is line up the gaskets. Draw the B20 Gaskets outlines onto the COmetic gasket and cut it out where to need to be flowing through. Ill keep you posted.

Thanks for the input fellas. Ima try it right now, after, my car cools down.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your distributor seal. Sometimes they will leak down from where it goes into the head and run down to that corner because the till of the motor and mimic a H/G leak

My b16 did this exact thing and freaked me out, the oil was so clean it took a while to find it but it was that simple, oh and it DID have a new oring but still leaked

So give it a quick check, it could save you some time, money and headache
Old 07-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WEll I used an OEM gasket and no leaks in the corners. But now i have a BIG leak at the back of my block. I for got to use teflon tape on the Oil plug screw. This is gettng ridiculous.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta use that teflon tape. I had the same issue just because of that stupid oil plug
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im bout to tear it down for the 4-5th time and use teflon on it. I hope that fixes it.

So your leaked from the back cuz of the missing teflon right?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so everyone is saying its better to use the oem b20 head gasket rather then the gasket golden eagle gives you with there kit
Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also make sure the dowel pins are not keeping the head from seating completely on the block...If the head or block has been milled at all, you may have to take some material off the dowel pins as well...
A little hondabond around the oil returns are supposed to help also since its not a "perfect" seal with either gasket...
This is all stuff ive read or heard throughout the years so...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have this exact same problem i had a leak in the corner near the reans.
the thing that sucked on my build is i forgot to redrill the holes in the back for my dowell pins so i just put em in the front lol.
but we took it back to the shop got it redrilled and a lil resurface.
i was also using a ge head gasket.

also thank got i retook off the head cuz i noticed there wasnt a keeper on my retainer.
if i wouldve ran my motor i wouldve droped a valve and bye bye.
well we learn from our mistakes.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SMOOTHN
yea im bout to tear it down for the 4-5th time and use teflon on it. I hope that fixes it.

So your leaked from the back cuz of the missing teflon right?
Yeap that was my problem. But becareful not to strip that stupid thing trying to put it back in with the tape. Mine got stripped which caused it not to go in all the way. YOu could barely feel the leftover but it was enough to cause coolant to leak internally. Which sucked ***.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oldskooldan
the thing that sucked on my build is i forgot to redrill the holes in the back for my dowell pins so i just put em in the front lol.

also thank got i retook off the head cuz i noticed there wasnt a keeper on my retainer.
The dowel pins do go in the front.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we redrill the holes in the back and put the dowell pins in the rear.....
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just use a GE headgasket and be done with it, they make ones for lsvtec/b20vtecs you realize that right..?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by negusjuda
so everyone is saying its better to use the oem b20 head gasket rather then the gasket golden eagle gives you with there kit
Yea... the new ones should be a great fit for ls/vtec and b20/vtec... I used OEM b20 HeadGasket(s). I got 2 of them took out the retainers used Hylomar and bolted the head down to specs.

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
Also make sure the dowel pins are not keeping the head from seating completely on the block...If the head or block has been milled at all, you may have to take some material off the dowel pins as well...
A little hondabond around the oil returns are supposed to help also since its not a "perfect" seal with either gasket...
This is all stuff ive read or heard throughout the years so...
Yea your right about the "not perfect seal". The dowel pins worked great for me.

I didnt have to drill anything, just tap the Oil plug hole. And my dowels pins went in the front of the motor , none in the back.

Yeap that was my problem. But becareful not to strip that stupid thing trying to put it back in with the tape. Mine got stripped which caused it not to go in all the way. YOu could barely feel the leftover but it was enough to cause coolant to leak internally. Which sucked ***.
Wow coolant leaked inside, that must've sucked. And yea it was my oil plug I teflon taped it and no more leaking. Thanks for the reaasurance.

we redrill the holes in the back and put the dowell pins in the rear.....
I didnt have to do this. But if it worked for you thats good!

The dowel pins do go in the front.
I second that notion.
Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
why not just use a GE headgasket and be done with it, they make ones for lsvtec/b20vtecs you realize that right..?
Yea but i didnt wanna buy another aftermarket headgasket. maybe if this goes out on me ill look into it. Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ALL in all I used a OEM b20 Headgasket with some hylomar. and teflon taped the oil plug and all is well so far. well see in a couple days of driving.

THanks you guys.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or maybe you never realized they were giving out wrong head gasket for last almost 10 years
there is big thread about what gasket to use and i thought we all knew what to use.. NOT the VTEC gasket ..

BTW the GE head gasket is not after-market. it is OEM vtec gasket machined by GE.

so when we are talking GE or OEM B20. they're both oem . GE one is VTEC Gasket and B20 is obviously non vtec gasket.
we're talking vtec VS none vtec gaskets here.

when you're using the OEM B20 Gasket you need to remove the Brass O ring on the back of the head .. that will make head/block not seal right. and also have to machine (bore ) the B20 gasket where the dowel pin goes.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itr1244
or maybe you never realized they were giving out wrong head gasket for last almost 10 years
there is big thread about what gasket to use and i thought we all knew what to use.. NOT the VTEC gasket ..

BTW the GE head gasket is not after-market. it is OEM vtec gasket machined by GE.

so when we are talking GE or OEM B20. they're both oem . GE one is VTEC Gasket and B20 is obviously non vtec gasket.
we're talking vtec VS none vtec gaskets here.

when you're using the OEM B20 Gasket you need to remove the Brass O ring on the back of the head .. that will make head/block not seal right. and also have to machine (bore ) the B20 gasket where the dowel pin goes.

hmm this is interesting because i was always told to use the gasket required for the head and there are people who use the ge gasket without problems i guess it just depends on the motor either way it can be a issue with both gaskets
Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never had a problem with GE i recommend that over oem anyday of the week..
They have taken all precautions when setting up the gasket for use, **** you dont think of or forget, they also offer different bore sizes

i did 84.5mm, oem makes 84.5mm? No it doesn't.. you'd have to cut it yourself, ask yourself how many idiots cut the gasket and **** up a head.. no thx..

Golden eagle all day.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GE Head Gasket is an OEM Head Gasket. Niether the Non-Vtec Head Gasket or the VTEC Gasket are perfect. One cuts down some water flow, the other cuts down some oil return flow, the choice is yours to make.

I personally plan to use a Non-Vtec Head on my B20B.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never had a problem with GE i recommend that over oem anyday of the week..
They have taken all precautions when setting up the gasket for use, **** you dont think of or forget, they also offer different bore sizes

i did 84.5mm, oem makes 84.5mm? No it doesn't.. you'd have to cut it yourself, ask yourself how many idiots cut the gasket and **** up a head.. no thx..

Golden eagle all day.
so you think GE MAKES the gaskets?
very smart. they MACHINE IT like i said.
they take OEM honda VTEC gasket and machine it.

and i'm not saying GE ( OEM vtec) gasket is wrong one. but go ahead and read this longest post

i am not saying GE headgasket is the wrong one untill i change it to B20 gasket and if it stops the leak doing that. then i can come back and bitch at GE all day long.
i'm just waiting for that day.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok lol..
Old 07-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys can u helpme with this problem im having
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/b20vtec-help-2810053/
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished a b20 vtec swap with b16 head and used the blackworks b20 conversion kit and it was great, no issues what so ever.

Quick Reply: SMooTHn'z B20 VTEC Problems