Notices

Start of a Project....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 HP 10 Sec Project CRX

Hey guys, well there isnt a TON that i've gotten done yet on this, but I just picked it up so i'll just post as I go. Lately i've been wanting to get back into the Honda scene that i've been out of since I was a kid. Something about a turbo Honda that once you drive....you'll always want. So here I am 25 and starting back in on a 88 crx si. I picked up the shell for a pretty fair price.....and I wont go into the block situation that that I bought along with it. Anyhow the plans are for a 500hp 10sec. CLEAN rex with full interior (stock with a few twists). The motor will be a B series turbo pushing 30 lbs running on E85. It WILL still be street driven however mostly drag. Heres just a couple starter pics of me tearing it up over the weekend. Lemmie know what you guys think. Also I could use a few interior pieces so if anyone has some lying around let me know.
Attached Images         

Last edited by TJChad; 12-07-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Start of a Project....

Pulled out most the the interior and carpet, carpet went the the DUMPSTER (smelled awful) replacement will be coming once I get some more funds in. Someone actually put a legit MOMO steering wheel on here thats inpretty decent shape. I think i'm going to see about re-covering it though. Wiring is a MESS right now so that will be coming out soon, and this interior is DIRTY. So ALOT of time will be spent pulling each and every peice/ switch apart as far as they go and hitting them with cleaner/ q-tips and towels. The home made aluminum seperator will be done away with as well.
Attached Images           
Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Somebody tried to put the cheap *** Ebay "power" remote lock kit on, thats already bye bye. The dash and pretty much the rest of the int. is out. Got all the "ricer" cool guy stickers off the car. Tail light are off and need a GOOD cleaning. Also got the ENTIRE front suspension pulled off, the guy actually shelled out a little money and went with Eibach coil-overs instead of some ebay ones, so those will get cleaned up really good and stay. The front LCA's need replaced so i'll be ordering those most likely next week, along with a FULL master kit energy suspension poly bushing kit. I'll try to keep updated as I go, but keep in mind this will be a pretty slow build as I go to school for 8 hours a day 5 days a week and still go fishing/drinking on the weekends! Let me know your guys input, still looking for the B series block/ complete set up to start machine work/ ordering parts so if you know someone or have one laying around (even if it's blown ect.) let me know!
Attached Images           
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Today, just ripped out the heating/AC ducting and heater core, and the drivers door panel finally. Didnt have alot of time to work but at least I got something accomplished. (It's hot as ***** too) I want to rip out the entire body and engine harness and go through the whole thing and clean it up but that is going to be a HUGE PITA, so for now i'm still putting off pulling all of that out and labeling.
Attached Images         
Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice start! This looks like its going to be a pretty sick build. I'm curious about the block though, are you going b20 or LS? I'm not very informed regarding turbo builds, but I've been wanting to boost my b16 pretty much since I got it, lol.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well at first I was going to do a B20 Vtec build because apparently that "all the rage" now since i've been out of the game for awhile, so i'm checking into all the new trends and "technology" thats come about since I took a break. But the more I look I think i'm just going to go full B16 it's less set up and piecing together and since i'm going to be Darton or Eagle sleeving the block anyways and I can choose my bore size, I don't see any reason to go through the headache of grabbing the engine piece by piece
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryd2TheMax
but I've been wanting to boost my b16 pretty much since I got it, lol.

Take it from me though.....boost is ADDICTING
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I like the tuna here

I'll bet...hell, I've never even ridden in a boosted car, none of my car friends had the money back in the day. I'm kind of like you in the fact that I had a CRX back when I was 18 (got stolen) but until last year I haven't had a honda since. I'm 25 too, just getting back into the scene after a lot of bullsh*t and having my license taken for a year and a half.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like the wunderdog from super street
Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rustanghunter
looks like the wunderdog from super street
i second that but it was accually built in project car using the old d16a6 with a homemade/juckyard turbo kit
Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TJChad
Well at first I was going to do a B20 Vtec build because apparently that "all the rage" now since i've been out of the game for awhile, so i'm checking into all the new trends and "technology" thats come about since I took a break. But the more I look I think i'm just going to go full B16 it's less set up and piecing together and since i'm going to be Darton or Eagle sleeving the block anyways and I can choose my bore size, I don't see any reason to go through the headache of grabbing the engine piece by piece
I wouldnt say the b20 is all the rage but the 2L displacement just gives u more potential over the 1.8 and 1.6 counter parts, if i convince u to not go boosted b16 and urge u into a boosted b20 build I would.

Happy building tho mam, cars clean as hell and I'm certainly watching.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your really going to build it right, the superior rod/stroke ratio of a motor thatcame with vtec might work better, b20s do make awsome power but they tear themselves apart faster than a b16 or a b18c
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rustanghunter
if your really going to build it right, the superior rod/stroke ratio of a motor thatcame with vtec might work better, b20s do make awsome power but they tear themselves apart faster than a b16 or a b18c
If you are looking from a standpoint of boosted stock applications then yes, oem materials, dimensions, and performance capabilities would put the lower displacement motor above the bigger one in reliability at higher revs, but once u go after market on the rebuild the scope changes. Higher grade, lighter, stronger materials in comparison to oem means that a fully built b20 would out rev and out last a stock b16 or 18, and match any of them im built form.

I own both a 16 and 20 in fully built boosted forms, both can go over 9 grand with equal durabiloty in my opinion in current form but hands down the b20 out performs I'm both hp and torque. Just saying, if ur gonna build and boost not stock boost, b20vtec Turbo all day over a b16 or 18.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I like the tuna here

Originally Posted by ExtraBlackRex
If you are looking from a standpoint of boosted stock applications then yes, oem materials, dimensions, and performance capabilities would put the lower displacement motor above the bigger one in reliability at higher revs, but once u go after market on the rebuild the scope changes. Higher grade, lighter, stronger materials in comparison to oem means that a fully built b20 would out rev and out last a stock b16 or 18, and match any of them im built form.

I own both a 16 and 20 in fully built boosted forms, both can go over 9 grand with equal durabiloty in my opinion in current form but hands down the b20 out performs I'm both hp and torque. Just saying, if ur gonna build and boost not stock boost, b20vtec Turbo all day over a b16 or 18.
Thats really interesting...I've wondered whether going built b20 turbo would be bad from a high rpm standpoint.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ExtraBlackRex

touche, lol hey op have you considered b16b? they are pretty sweet and thats what the wunderdog ended up with
Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never seen the "wonderdog" project, ill have to Google it. As for the motor selection, its not going to matter that much what block I pick cause it'll be getting fully sleeved (still debating on a girdle) and full new rotating assembly, so i can pick my own bore and stroke. I'm about to trade the sleeved d16a8 that came with the car for a trashed bearing B16.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MAn I got some wheels you might want???

Let me know if you want em
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chase7687
MAn I got some wheels you might want???

Let me know if you want em
Pic is just showin a red x, try again
Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i've been cleaning interior pieces on my free time and I got around to the steering wheel which I THOUGHT might need to be re-covered because it looked like the vinyl was cracking. Well it turns out that it was actually just so covered with grime and just dirt that the build up was cracking. MOMO wheel looks good as new now! Also, has anyone tried those "repair" plates from ebay for the HVAC controls? Do they work well/ look factory? Let me know cause i'm all about not spending $150+ on a new one. Even though I DO plan on installing A/C into this car and will need to get at least the button if not a replacement unit.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

off to a good start
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have a 88-89 instrument cluster housing and or the radio bezel where the storage pocket is completely uncut and no switches??
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice gl
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great start.....GL
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TJChad
Pic is just showin a red x, try again
Here you go... let me know if you want em?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the size/ offset on them? They look like about 16's I think I wanna stick with 15's How much are you looking to get for them? Those would be pretty nice street wheels. I'll need a seperate set for my drag wheels of course!

Quick Reply: Start of a Project....