Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Dirt track CRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt track CRX

I didnt see a Dirt forum so thought I'd post it up here.

First off I've never been a honda guy, so this build is my first ever honda project. My neighbor however has been a honda nut for a long time, and talked me into building a honda for the dirt track. Not long after I started building mine he did too...

So I bought this shell off him, and a LsVtec off another dude and started building...

motor mounted...

added some KYB AGX struts and megan coils with some ebay adjustable upper arms...

cell mounted and interior stripped for cage work...

cage work started, mostly done...

and with the paint on it...

and with the decals ready for the track...

sorry so many pics but that usually makes a thread more interesting. I more or less did this post for other people considering dirt track racing to get some ideas from, because I had such a hard time finding any good build posts, anywhere. So if anyone else has some good dirt track honda pics post em up or hook me up with a link to check em out...thanks for looking
Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dirt track CRX

Haha, I love it! No windshield, or is that just not installed?

I'd get some rollbar padding on the bars near your head, especially since it will be awfully close there.

Also, I can't tell but it looks like the rear arms inside terminate in a weird way. More pics of the inside rear?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great job
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky

I'd get some rollbar padding on the bars near your head, especially since it will be awfully close there.

Also, I can't tell but it looks like the rear arms inside terminate in a weird way. More pics of the inside rear?
padding is in just not shown in those pics...

heres a pic of the rear diagnal bars with them terminating into the new rer strut bar/support

no windshield on the dirt...open air baby...lol
thanks for the input for sure...
Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have thought about doing this sense the only really close track in my area is a dirt track but I have been told they don't allow fuel injected cars as one of the rules so I have never even looked into it. Your build makes me want to check into it. Great job looks like fun.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AcuraIntegraLS-T
I have thought about doing this sense the only really close track in my area is a dirt track but I have been told they don't allow fuel injected cars as one of the rules so I have never even looked into it. Your build makes me want to check into it. Great job looks like fun.
Thanks...We actually talked the track we race at to allow fwd and fi this year...it has never been done before at our track. We did get very open rules for the new class...mini-outlaws. not many tracks will allow vtec or dohc motors, at least the tracks close to us. heres a link to our "rules"
http://www.madrasspeedway.com/mini%20outlaws.htm

them agreeing to let us run fwd was trying to boost car count, 2 of my buddies also built cars a ef hatch and and eg hatch. so we actually have 3 hondas showing up to make a statement all running lsvtec motors...lol they are gonna be surprised
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Spongebrad Squarepants

flipping awesome. i didnt click the link..but what kind of cars do you run against?

what kind of mods are allowed?

do you expect to be competitive given the field?

how soft of spring rates do you run? psi?

i could keep going but ill stop. lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
PM Garage

Nice sound like dirty fun and you do not get to many chances to make local history with your Fuel Injected FWD Honda keep us posted and more action pictures. Speaking of dirty where is Paul ? Cochino (inside joke on ht let see if he posts anything lol)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
flipping awesome. i didnt click the link..but what kind of cars do you run against?

what kind of mods are allowed?

do you expect to be competitive given the field?

how soft of spring rates do you run? psi?

i could keep going but ill stop. lol.
right now biggest competition(that Ive seen run) are a datsun 510 built, dual weber side drafts 18yrs racing experience with 7 track championships, a datsun pickup with a built motor, 4bbl holley 750, 12.5 to1 comp. 4 link rear suspension with weight jacks and 11" hooosier dirt tires dirty fast. last years track champ (also my brother-inlaw), and a full tube chassis pro4 car with a built 2.3 ford also dirty fast.

our rules are pretty wide open...any 4cyl motor, any carb or injected, 1800lbs minimum to the line no driver, 13" stamped tires, any suspension, 90" minimum wheelbase...oh no turbos, no2, or superchargers.

I ran with them at our test and tune on the 17th, and took the 510 2 1/2 laps to catch me from about 4 cars back when we started, and I had no power in the corners due to(I think) bad main relay and some shitty wiring at my obd0-obd1 jumper connection. I think its got a good shot at track champ this year.

Im running megan springs with 450 front, and 350 rear on the kyb agx...and it seemed to hook well. down the straights it ran like a scalded dog...lol

civichb20...your right, I hope it is good history...lol
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a couple of vids shot from test day...quality sucks sorry, but you'll get the idea...lol...our next outting is this sat. if the weather is good, there will more video (better quality too) coming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v43yWvXUBbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElpLS...eature=related
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh looks Hella fun man... little disadvantage being front wheel drive but as we know the motor we love, B series, is a real fighter.

Good Luck...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
Dirt racers cannot use a windshield due to visibility problems. They use a wire mesh.
Disconnect the front sway when running on dirt for better results. Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

also too..have you thought about proportioning of the brakes differently?

or even running bigger rear brakes to pitch the car into the corner?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
also too..have you thought about proportioning of the brakes differently?

or even running bigger rear brakes to pitch the car into the corner?
Ive thought about those options for sure. Havent really got a chance to run it to its full potential yet, but so far its handling nicely in the corners, the 12lb flywheel seems to help set the weight forward and get the *** loose just by letting off the throttle just as your entering the turn. Hopefully I'll find out its true potential on sat. thanks for the input, always welcome and appreciated
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
PM Garage

I have no circle dirt track experience

but it looks like from the videos you not hitting the apex in the circle to take the shortest route but you are head of pack so what ever you are doing is working.

I have been to rally school and they teach us how to Left Foot Brake this help get the rear loose while you driving FWD and you get back on the gas to correct it or go straight. You can get so good at this you will need very little steering input and just turn with just brake and gas.

You want to get it loose but you do not want to lose control dirt is slippery, you want a controlled slide and what is great about FWD is that if you ever get in trouble just get back on the gas. LOL

Good luck

Last edited by civichb20; 04-28-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is awesome! I've never seen a Honda dirt track car, but I think after word of this car gets around if you do well things will change haha.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Suspetise...

Originally Posted by WhiteSlipsWithStickers
That is awesome! I've never seen a Honda dirt track car, but I think after word of this car gets around if you do well things will change haha.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, one of the biggest setbacks for Honda dirt racers is the whole carburetor thing. A lot of dirt organizations require it, which means goofy fabrication and tuning of an EFI motor.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah our track rules allow efi....most do not. be sure to check your track rules before commiting to a build. during the test day, I never got to actually run the rex all out because it would lose all power entering the turn and all of the way through it pop and sputter, then as it was exiting the turn would light off again and scream down the straight. It did it all day long until it finally quit running down the front straight at the end of the day. after checking it over found the main relay had a few broken solder joints, and the jumper at the ecu 3 of the first 5 wires we pulled on were only held on by the shrink tube. So I never really got to see what it does with power in the corners yet. apexes should be better with everything running right...as it was when you came into the corner and the motor lost power it would load up on the front and slide sideways, lot of right turn to correct (because no throttle)then coasting and then pop back to life. If it runs right on sat I'll have a way better idea of improvements...but even with those problems, still took the 510 2 1/2 laps to catch it...lol
Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Contact Sleepy Gomez for more info directly related to your project and others regarding the carburator setup required at other tracks...

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...car/index.html

He IS the man.....good luck
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have that article saved on my computer, that was my main inspiration for sure. They kinda dropped off on the follow ups of how everything worked though. I cant find any contact for sleepy gomez either was gonna email and ask how things were going.

anyway here a couple more pics of the builds, until I can get some actual footage of em running in traffiic...enjoy.

89 ef hatch...

out with the stock d15a and in with the new mini me swap...

the 3 Hondas during cage construction...

So after dave got his mini me built me and nate the other driver decided to build lsvtec motors...so dave ripped out the mini me and built a lsv with some goodies to it...

this is pretty much race trim...except just added kybs and a new alum. radiator...at test day his car would only blow the tires off...no traction due to old struts allowing hella wheel hop.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...and the EG...i think its a 92 or 93. this car was a drag car first a few years ago. then I talked him into building for the dirt...more racing time in a night plus its like doing two 1/8mile drags and 2 corners every lap...lol.

it does have a new air filter now, and some updated motor mounts after this happened only 4 laps into testing, and ended his testing day on a bad note...

and a pic of two hatches at the scales to be weighed...

ef...1895lbs
eg...1819lbs
crx...1877lbs
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can try him at sleepy.gomez(at)yahoo.com
I've spoken to him on the phone recently, he will give you his # when you e mail him.
Good Luck.....
Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JOE BD-0
You can try him at sleepy.gomez(at)yahoo.com
I've spoken to him on the phone recently, he will give you his # when you e mail him.
Good Luck.....
Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

see this car in person SICKK bumps
Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 AM
something different

holy crap.that looks like A GOOD TIME