Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Homemade "password jdm washers"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade "password jdm washers"

I noticed a thread the other day talking about how to do this so I figured I'd try it. I replaced all the rusty fender and headlight bolts with these cool washers/screws. Obviously this isnt the real deal, but I'm not about to pay nearly 45 bucks to have them shipped to my door when I could make some for less the ten dollars. Let me know what you guys think. Pic was taken with a crappy camera thats why its small and lacking quality... I will take some better pics tomorow at the car show I'm putting my car in.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Homemade "password jdm washers"

Looks good, where did you get it, how much and what paint did you use? Good work!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks very nice. Good work!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much to ship me some to 90018 lol!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not bad for trying to be creative, however I'd rather have the real thing. Yours are still bulky unlike the PWJDM ones... Which is what I like about the PWJDM washers. They are shipping me valve cover bolts/washers to replace the huge bulky ones we have stock.

The idea of the washers isn't to be washers. You are just using a screw/bolt on top of a washer That was either anodized or some sort of Candy Paint over a shiny washer. They designed theirs so the bolt will be flush.

Pull off the flush design and you have yourself an answer to PWJDM's washers. Thats what I plan on doing. Prob by the next time I go into town I'll hit up Hardware stores. Bolts with the V Shape base are easy to come by in different lengths. The washers shouldn't be too difficult, Esp if you have a small lathe.

I wish you had my camera, you could zoom all the way in on it and see every spec of dust lol
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol these are nice but for the money, i got better car mods to do then worry about some bolts....
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats not bad

I put a kit together for myself, I went with steel washers instead of golden brass tho:

much cheaper and just as good. PWJDM kits are way overpriced.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the compliments! It was actually very simple to make. You can make as many as you would like, I only made enough to replace the fender and headlight bolts. So this is how I did it. You can get all of this stuff at any hardware store (i.e. Lowes Home Depot, etc.).
-----------------------------------

Heres what you'll need if you want to replace the headlight and fender bolts as I did:

(4) M6 x1.00 x 16 (for the headlights) ($0.97)
(6) M6 1.00 x 20 flat head machine screws (fenders)($1.20)
(10)#12 Finish washers ($2)
One can of Duplicolor Metalcast (color of your choice) ($6)

Just lay the finish washers out on a piece of newspaper and paint them. Its best to do this on a warm, sunny day. Do a couple light coats at a time. After you've done about 5-6 coats, they're probably ready. Using a 10MM wrench, remove the headlight and fender bolts and replace them with the washers and screws. Pretty straight forward. Total cost: $10.17
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SWAT
...Yours are still bulky unlike the PWJDM ones...
I agree, The reason Mine are kinda bulky is becuase the hardware store I went to was out of the "Flat" type machine screws, they have a flat head and will be countersunk into the finish washer. If I had used those instead of the Oval type I have now it would look more flush. In the write up above, I listed to use Flat machine screws. Although they arent as good as the Password JDM ones, it still adds a nice touch, and shows attenion to detail.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a bad mod for the price. Someone has got to make a beveled washer similar to what Password sells, and then you can anodize parts at home pretty cheap using RIT fabric dye and a battery charger. The paintball guys have been doing it for a long time now.

Anodizing is a more durable finish than paint because it's like in the metal, not just on top.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Not a bad mod for the price. Someone has got to make a beveled washer similar to what Password sells, and then you can anodize parts at home pretty cheap using RIT fabric dye and a battery charger. The paintball guys have been doing it for a long time now.

Anodizing is a more durable finish than paint because it's like in the metal, not just on top.
if I could give you a thumbs up I would in a split second.... I was just about to say Anodizing is too f'n hard. lol I was gonna powdercoat my washers.

What I'm planning to do is use a hobby lathe and aluminum bars. I'll first drill out the V grave and then cut the washers out. I was going to lay them all down on a plate and powdercoat them. But the anodizing
Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder how much password charges to ship those bad boys? Probably an arm and a f*cking leg, knowing them.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96hb
I wonder how much password charges to ship those bad boys? Probably an arm and a f*cking leg, knowing them.
Yeah, probably like $25. Jerks.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ u must had meant $2500 to shipp em lol
Old 04-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by miguel329
lol these are nice but for the money, i got better car mods to do then worry about some bolts....

Amen.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RagnarX
Thats not bad

I put a kit together for myself, I went with steel washers instead of golden brass tho:

much cheaper and just as good. PWJDM kits are way overpriced.
were did you find those?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

little DIY projects are the best! good job on the washers! I'm off to get some and do this project too....more pics would be awesome.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not bad for trying to be creative, however I'd rather have the real thing. Yours are still bulky unlike the PWJDM ones... Which is what I like about the PWJDM washers. They are shipping me valve cover bolts/washers to replace the huge bulky ones we have stock.

The idea of the washers isn't to be washers. You are just using a screw/bolt on top of a washer That was either anodized or some sort of Candy Paint over a shiny washer. They designed theirs so the bolt will be flush.

Pull off the flush design and you have yourself an answer to PWJDM's washers. Thats what I plan on doing. Prob by the next time I go into town I'll hit up Hardware stores. Bolts with the V Shape base are easy to come by in different lengths. The washers shouldn't be too difficult, Esp if you have a small lathe.

I wish you had my camera, you could zoom all the way in on it and see every spec of dust lol
you gotta kidding right? your gonna pay for washers that are anodized colors? thats just a waste you might as well do what the thread starter did and just spray paint your stock ones
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i was the one that started the thread the other day, i havent gottin around to it becasue my car is going for paint in 3 days so i figured i would wait until then..But all it is a #12 finish washer and a M6 x 1.00 16 or 20 bolt depending on were your putting them..

It turns out really nice.. and ONLY A PWJDM FANBOY would pay 15$ + shipping for 5 bolts and washers..

GL with it guys nice upgrade for the Bay..!!

-BlackDiamond
Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol @ the PWDJDM fanboy thing
Old 04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah lol,
Old 04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if I could give you a thumbs up I would in a split second.... I was just about to say Anodizing is too f'n hard. lol I was gonna powdercoat my washers.

What I'm planning to do is use a hobby lathe and aluminum bars. I'll first drill out the V grave and then cut the washers out. I was going to lay them all down on a plate and powdercoat them. But the anodizing
That's what forums are for, sharing information to help eachother.

I'm not sure how else to make washers like that, but it seems like someone would make them for something. I searched "bevel washer" and found some things similar to these, but not exact. Maybe if someone else is ambitious, they could look into it more
Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good idea! I have some PWJDM ones up front, now I feel like a poser fanby! LOL
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

http://passwordjdm.com/images/Products/1997_3.jpg

http://www.odv2.com/pc/catalog/image...er_washers.jpg
Password:JDM doesn't ever really make the original of anything. They make replica parts with their name on them.

These are a rip off of the Mugen license plate bolts (which are flush too btw). Only the Mugen bolts are $25 for two. The first few times I saw beauty bolts on an engine bay I think they were the Mugen bolts and they were on some very baller cars. It's obvious whoever did that put some money into the bolts.

I know one of the first people I saw do anything like this was donut. and as per donut., QUESTOYZ by RHanDy. So that was '06 or '07 or so, maybe earlier.

Not trying to say everyone should spend a lot of money on bolts for their engine bay, but if you're going to say something about a certain brand being the original, just check up on that.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 PM

password jdm ships for free actually. well they are shipping my battery tie down and radiator stay for free. im actually thinking about making my own fender washers too. its nice to see someone else doing it too.

Quick Reply: Homemade "password jdm washers"