Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
The arms will probably be out of tubular steel, as I don't really have the budget for CNC hubs and control arms. Plus, I will be running (most likely) a polyurethane bushing setup instead of spherical joints. Main reason being comfortability. I do like to drive my car on the road, and would probably not enjoy the harsh impacts (or shorter lifespan) of spherical joints. That is, unless someone could sway me on a design that allows for slightly more comfort out of some spherical joints.

Yeah, that guy's EP3 is astounding. It's one of the very few threads on K20A that I find myself jumping back to, just for some more ideas.
Hardrace actually makes a very nicely designed spherical... Its a sealed unit, so no mainteneance, and the joint itself has a layer of rubber around it to absorb impact and vibration. I plan on running their offset sphericals for my front control arms.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Hardrace actually makes a very nicely designed spherical... Its a sealed unit, so no mainteneance, and the joint itself has a layer of rubber around it to absorb impact and vibration. I plan on running their offset sphericals for my front control arms.
Looking at what hardrace offers for LCA and their ep3 suspension components
Would u recommend up grading all my stock components for what they offer?
Because i noticed u changed ur ep3 suspension to rsx, was there a reasoning? A lot of labour?

What would ur expertise in this matter be if i were to upgrade my suspension later in the future
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Okay, did not know about those... and I'm loving the design. I'll have to investigate and see if they have other styles of bushings.

Example:

This mounting style:
Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, Sticking with the 17x9 in the front, would u recommend going 17x8+45/+35 in the rear? Just wondering the reasoning why u chose to go 17x7.5+48? Im placing the order early next week so just want to finalize what Rim size to go with in the rear
Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MissShift
Looking at what hardrace offers for LCA and their ep3 suspension components
Would u recommend up grading all my stock components for what they offer?
Because i noticed u changed ur ep3 suspension to rsx, was there a reasoning? A lot of labour?

What would ur expertise in this matter be if i were to upgrade my suspension later in the future
I would definitely recommend their sphericals, or if cost is an issue their hard rubber units are great aswell. The reason I got the TypeS suspension was that I wanted the front brakes, 5lug for wheel options, aswell as to refinish all the pieces while I was still driving my car. Other than the front brakes and 5lug the 02-04 TypeS and 02-03 EP3 suspension are exactly the same.

depending what your personal preference is and what you use the car for id recommend you change out all the rear suspension bushings with either hardrace hard rubber or energy suspension polyurethane. For the front I think Hardrace's offset sphericals are a must, since they allow for free movement of the compliance bush and give you some added caster.

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Okay, did not know about those... and I'm loving the design. I'll have to investigate and see if they have other styles of bushings.

Example:

This mounting style:
Yup, they make them for every pivot in the suspension I believe. It may or may not be the same as energy kits though where the rear shock, rear lower control arm, and rear upper control arm pivots are not supplied.

Also, Sticking with the 17x9 in the front, would u recommend going 17x8+45/+35 in the rear? Just wondering the reasoning why u chose to go 17x7.5+48? Im placing the order early next week so just want to finalize what Rim size to go with in the rear
I used the 7.5's since they are plenty wide to hold a 225 tire, and give me some extra fender clearance in the back to run as little as 0* camber. I wanted the room for adjustment since its easier and cheaper to tune the car a bit with camber than switching spring rates or sway bars. Right now Im running -1.5* but I havent had enough track time to start making changes yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup, they make them for every pivot in the suspension I believe. It may or may not be the same as energy kits though where the rear shock, rear lower control arm, and rear upper control arm pivots are not supplied.
After doing some research, I found these:

That's exactly what I'll need for the style joints I will have for my custom configuration. Thanks for the head's up, Evan.

(This is similar to what I'm hoping to accomplish: link)
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the 7.5's since they are plenty wide to hold a 225 tire, and give me some extra fender clearance in the back to run as little as 0* camber. I wanted the room for adjustment since its easier and cheaper to tune the car a bit with camber than switching spring rates or sway bars. Right now Im running -1.5* but I havent had enough track time to start making changes yet.
how bout 17x8+45 in the rear? or even +35? running -1 camber in the rear would i still need to roll fender?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how bout 17x8+45 in the rear? or even +35? running -1 camber in the rear would i still need to roll fender?
Well at my ride height I had test fit some evo8 wheels (17x8 +35) and with rolled fenders I would have needed at least -2.5 camber to clear. That was with a 235/40 potenza. My reccomendation is the 17x7.5. No need for anything bigger for a 225 tire.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I have 225's in the rear, and that thing goes no where but follow the front tires... These little things are fun a %$#@ to drive... Ez's ep-suspenion tech forum! I love it!

Im not ganna be tucken tire at all.. 245's all around and keepin it stiff- all you need is a finger gap and a mild fender roll! Just a opinion... I cant wait to see my gas millage depleat!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No need for 245's in the back! Just going to be more rolling resistance and give the rear too much grip. If you want a setup you can rotate to 235's or 225's all around.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No need for 245's in the back! Just going to be more rolling resistance and give the rear too much grip. If you want a setup you can rotate to 235's or 225's all around.
Ur saying ur current setup 245 front 225 doesn't rotate? I thought it would rotate more than going 225 all around? I was talking to some friends with going 245 on a 9 and 225 on a 7.5 today. They were concerned with several issues

1) It will understreer with stock or stock -2 front -1 rear?
2) Even with -2 on stock suspension I will rub either front fender or stock front struts
3)It will make the car too grippy for stock power and slow the car down
4) And since im going for a car which is meant for DD as well as some track fun (not going for best time) I dont need 17x9 in the front?

Edit: I looked back at ur previous post and realized ur talking rotating tires? But since we are on the topic of rotating im still curious on the different type of rotate (oversteer)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where are you getting your Hardrace stuff? I'm trying to source their hard rubber rear knuckle & RTA bushings. I was gonna get them from Special Projects Motorsports but they are not returning my emails.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ur saying ur current setup 245 front 225 doesn't rotate? I thought it would rotate more than going 225 all around? I was talking to some friends with going 245 on a 9 and 225 on a 7.5 today. They were concerned with several issues

1) It will understreer with stock or stock -2 front -1 rear?
2) Even with -2 on stock suspension I will rub either front fender or stock front struts
3)It will make the car too grippy for stock power and slow the car down
4) And since im going for a car which is meant for DD as well as some track fun (not going for best time) I dont need 17x9 in the front?

Edit: I looked back at ur previous post and realized ur talking rotating tires? But since we are on the topic of rotating im still curious on the different type of rotate (oversteer)
No Im saying that the suggestion of 245's all around will make the car push because the rear will have too much grip. The best setup to have is a staggered setup for FWD. Basically the tuning mindset is to take as much grip away from the rear as possible (especially with the ep3, dc5 chassis) and add it to the front. You can do this with tires, camber, toe, sway bars, and springs.

To address your concerns -

1) A staggered wheel and tire setup will undoubtedly understeer less than a square wheel and tire setup with otherwise same specs
2) I cant say what clearance issues might be, because Ive only run this setup with aftermarket struts and -3* camber
3) It will make the car a bit slower in accelleration because of the larger diameter (.5" larger than stock) and larger contact patch but will make the car exponentially faster in cornering and braking (more important IMO)
4) What size wheel you use is completely up to you. I used a 17x9 because I wanted the option of running 245's or 255's. I also build my car with my future plans in mind, so to not waste money. Its up to you to decide what you want from the car, and what you may want to sacrifice for practicality.

I have to say though there is really no drawbacks from running my setup over say a 225 up front other than clearance issues if youre on stock style struts. and not being able to rotate the tires.

When I talk about rotating tires I mean taking the front tires and moving them to the rear, and vice versa. I used to do this every oil change on my old car to keep the tires wearing evenly through their life. Obviously with a staggered setup you cant do this.

Originally Posted by jamescardenas07
Where are you getting your Hardrace stuff? I'm trying to source their hard rubber rear knuckle & RTA bushings. I was gonna get them from Special Projects Motorsports but they are not returning my emails.
I got my RCA's from a guy doing a group buy on EPHatch a while back, and Ive yet to buy anything else from them. I know that when we were doing research for our S2000 race car we tried to contact them about a spherical kit but they never responded to multiple emails.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the stuff you're doing, E. It's all real simple, but I like it. I like it a lot!

Also, OEM Evo VIII & IX wheels are 17x8 +38 offset. Enkei's and BBS alike! Not like it matters, but I'm just saysin.

-Jalal
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Velocityshop.com sells hardrace stuff
Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wrd thanks for the heads up J
Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great attention to detail, really thought out mods.. inspiring stuff !
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So keeping with the suspension theme on this page Ive got a new update finally!

Skunk2 billet control arms came in today so I was able to finally finish the rear trailing arm assemblies. These things are pretty trick, just have to swap out the bushings for some delrin at some point.

So here are the trailing arms all done up with fresh POR15, energy 3 piece bush, and the Skunk2 arms

Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks real good! Evan, when is there going to be another BBQ or something? I definitely want to find a weekend where I can come up and chill with you and Mike. It's been a while!

Check out my blog!
http://levantix.blogspot.com/

-Jalal
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Looks real good! Evan, when is there going to be another BBQ or something? I definitely want to find a weekend where I can come up and chill with you and Mike. It's been a while!

Check out my blog!
http://levantix.blogspot.com/

-Jalal
Thanks dude. Blog is looking real nice

First official BBQ is going to be a track day at Limerock on july 1st (friday) then the traditional summer BBQ at Baird Park in NY the following day. Were going to put up a thread real soon Ill link it to you when its up!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks dude. Blog is looking real nice

First official BBQ is going to be a track day at Limerock on july 1st (friday) then the traditional summer BBQ at Baird Park in NY the following day. Were going to put up a thread real soon Ill link it to you when its up!
Thanks, man!

Sick! Is it going to be a public session? If so, how much? Can't wait for the spring/summer to get into full swing!

-Jalal
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Thanks, man!

Sick! Is it going to be a public session? If so, how much? Can't wait for the spring/summer to get into full swing!

-Jalal
Yup open SCDA event. Its $345, I think reg just opened, or it will be open soon. I cant wait to just drive my car again haha I miss it so much! Let alone drive it with the windows open on a warm summer day
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those arms look awesome man
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk 2 arms any better than anything thing else on the market?

I was looking at Function 7's arms and also found this, looks interesting..

http://www.function-7.com/products/rsxrb

but im guessing it would run a pretty penny as well (even just for the arms) as apposed to skunk 2 which are pretty cheap for lca
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those arms look boss... I don't follow skunk2's products but looks like they have made some changes for the better. Michael Boice swears by there camber kits ahha

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...