Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 HELP!

Don't laugh at me I know this was BEYOND stupid! LOL

Today on my way home, I was driving about 40 then coasting down a hill, and I wanted to put it into neutral to see if it would make it the rest of the way home. Well I accidently skipped over neutral and it went into reverse, (DUMB to try it in the first place!) I quickly put it in to neutral, slowed down put it into park and shut the car off cause I noticed my battery and oil light were on... The whole car jerked really hard when it happend, obviously. Well when I turned the car back on the lights were off, but when I started to go again I heard a clicking noise coming from the right side of the car like it was the transmission. As I would go faster it would click faster and even in neutral it clicked. Is it my transmission? Or did I mess something else up? Here recently, it was having a hard time shifting into 3rd gear and slipping but that hasnt been a problem for a few weeks. Am I ready for a new transmission?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!

theres nuffin wring with putting it in neutral to save a lil gas. also let us know the year make and model. not that anyone has actually tried it but ive gotten a lil slap happy with my autos (trying to drive them as sticks) and burnt up a couple of legnd trannies doing it. anyway most cars die before any damage occurs
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no answer for your problem, but I will say a couple of things.....
1. Putting in neutral wont save you a dollar (a higher gear and coasting downhill actually saves you a dollar!!)
2. You shouldn't coast an automatic any faster than 20 or so MPH - it should say that in your owners manual under towing.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know that a car under vacum saves more gas than one thats not. my mistake. i meant that putting it in neutral will allow the car to coast farther saving more gas in the long run and contrary to what the manual may say it wont harm anything. at least from experience in living in virginia where theres alot of 20 degree or more banks
Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The transmission pump is driven by the input shaft from the torque convertor. Therefore if the output shafts are spinning at 50mph and the engine is idling it won't be delivering the required pressure / oil to the tranny. It's the same as running your engine at 3000rpm with an oil pump delivering 1000rpm of oil pressure. The result is increased wear, burnt tranny fluid and a premature visit to the tranny shop.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a 94 accord EX and last night my stepdad went out to look at it, and he said there is a seal leaking other than that he isnt sure whats up with it. but surely a seal wouldnt make it jerk really hard in reverse and be clicking all the time. I dont know what to do. =|
Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll probably just take it to aamco and see what it is. We have a transmission on a 94 accord lx but its still in the car and we are pretty sure its fine. I guess I'll see how much I can just pay someone to take that one off and swap them. Not looking forward to that...
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GlassJAw
The transmission pump is driven by the input shaft from the torque convertor. Therefore if the output shafts are spinning at 50mph and the engine is idling it won't be delivering the required pressure / oil to the tranny. It's the same as running your engine at 3000rpm with an oil pump delivering 1000rpm of oil pressure. The result is increased wear, burnt tranny fluid and a premature visit to the tranny shop.
and u realise that that pressure is used to engage the clutches and shift the car not necesarily to lubricate. if the car is in neutral theres nothing engaged. and if ur implying that the fluid in a tranny is used to make a barrier betwen bearings and things like an engine ur wrong. tranny fluid is mostly a hydraulic fluid aka meant to push stuff which is why u see companies like toyota and bmw to use it in thier power stering systems
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You dont make much sense to me with that comment sorry, what lubricates the bearings in the transmission??
I know that the fluid is a form of hydraulic fluid, but it is also to prevent friction caused by metal on metal - otherwise you would just use something like water for example (can be pressurised!!).
Also why would a manifacturer go so far as to write in their manuals "do not tow over 20mph" if there's no real damage or harm going to done to the transmission.
Older cars Pre 1960's used to have a pump on the rear of the trans that would lubricate the trans if you were coasting in neutral (you could even push start it!!) but newer cars no longer have this extra pump - they use the main pump.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess everyone missed where the OP said it slipped past neutral and went into reverse?

Your transmission needs to be professionally looked at as do your axles. You most certainly ****ed something up.

And do NOT take it to AAMCO, they're morons. Take it to a dedicated Honda shop (preferably a dealership) and pay for the diagnostic.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt.. i stated that ive done it a few times and the car turned off before damage occured. and to glass i said "not nesecarily" meaning it does and it doesnt. im dropping it. i hope to op it sumthing simple like and axle
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by arkangel2487
i didnt.. i stated that ive done it a few times and the car turned off before damage occured. and to glass i said "not nesecarily" meaning it does and it doesnt. im dropping it. i hope to op it sumthing simple like and axle
You commented on slipping it into neutral - you don't mention going into reverse while traveling at 40mph.....QUITE the different problem. If that's what you were implying - I didn't read that into your statement.

Throwing a car into reverse while going 40mph is not a healthy thing and most certainly there is some damage done.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol oooooooooooooo oops. i didnt did i. sorry
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by arkangel2487
lol oooooooooooooo oops. i didnt did i. sorry
It's all good - just clarifying
Old 03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Trial User

I know I'm still new here.. but, for once think I can input something positive ..LOL I don't know all the technical on the tranny, but, I have made the same mistake (different reason). I still have the same tranny 40,000 miles later ... but .. I did have to replace the pass half-shaft to get rid of the noise it was making because I blew out the outer cv-joint. I could be wrong, but, if the tranny is shifting fine and the only thing (unless I overlooked something you said) you've noticed is the clicking..
NOT saying not to check your tranny to be sure .. but .. is where I'd start.

Just a thought..
Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really want to continue the argument as to whether dumping the (I'm assuming Automatic) transmission into neutral on a hill will cause excessive wear to your transmission or not. I've done it many times at higher speeds up to about 90mph (hooray for hills in Western Maryland and West Virginia) and have noticed no adverse effects thus far. I do not shut the engine off, I just bump it to neutral and let it idle. I have heard its possible to foobar the pumps if you shut the engine off and do this.

I do, however, have a suggestion should you ever wish to try this again. On my 92 Accord EX, there is a gate between neutral and reverse that forces you to push in button on the side of the shifter. Next time, just push the shift lever and NOT the button on the side to go from D4 to N, and that should keep you from putting the car into Reverse again. It's designed that way so in an emergency (think stuck accelerator, toyota style or not) you can safely jam your car into Neutral without damaging the transmission by hitting Reverse or even Park.

I'm no expert, I'm just speaking from my experience.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by livin_target
I know I'm still new here.. but, for once think I can input something positive ..LOL I don't know all the technical on the tranny, but, I have made the same mistake (different reason). I still have the same tranny 40,000 miles later ... but .. I did have to replace the pass half-shaft to get rid of the noise it was making because I blew out the outer cv-joint. I could be wrong, but, if the tranny is shifting fine and the only thing (unless I overlooked something you said) you've noticed is the clicking..
NOT saying not to check your tranny to be sure .. but .. is where I'd start.

Just a thought..
Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is her mom......thanks and we will first check the pass half-shaft and outer cv-joint.. how about the mounts?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need some other help...

Had someone come look at it and drive it a lil bit, to see if he knew what it was...
Well today my mom got in it and its not going anywhere when she put it in reverse or drive it wouldnt go anywhere reving and reving still not going occasionally would catch and go into gear with loud clunk. We have been googling... could it be the driveshafts or transaxles? We honestly dont think it having this much problems is just the tranny. HELPPPPP!!!!! Willing to talk on the phone if necessary.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
He knows where you live!

The axles have been recommended multiple times.

The half shaft is most likely ok as it doesn't have any joints like an axle does. Both axles are probably toasted.

You need to have the transmission checked out as well - not just driven by some random guy.