Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts
Default 07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue

Hey fit guys, doin some research here...

Was there ever a solution for this problem?

Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I havent looked through all these posts, but heres my issue.
Another member on Fitfreak is having the same problem. Im not the only one....

When I turn on my headlights, sometimes they dont turn on. My runnings and fogs are on but my headlights wont come on.
I thought it was my HID's and due to weather. The first time it happened it was cold and rainy. I was pissed as I kinda needed my headlights. It was morning but not REAL dark.

Happened a few other times in the morning, also during colder weather. Today at around 1-2pm; HOT as hell they didnt turn on.

I turned them off and on numerous times and the last time I turned it rather hard and they popped on.
Im putting a combi switch in an '07 for a friend tomorrow, she has this problem and ordered the part for me to install since the dealer really wanted to jam her (not my words, and as an ex honda technician, I do understand that thats the way they make their money, so whatever). Anyways, there's a few blips around the internet when I search of people having this problem It seems that there is a corrosion issue somewhere, most likely at the connector from the column harness to the switch.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I really hate throwing parts at a car if its not gonna fix the problem. Wastes both of our time, her money, and makes me look like a hack. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue

No one?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Re: 07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue

Intermittent electrical problems involving heavy gauge wires and high current systems are almost always due to a loose, and/or corroded ground connection. You may eliminate that loose ground as you install the switch, but it would be a good idea to trace as much of the headlight wiring from the switch, all the way down to the lights, as you can. IIRC, the headlight circuit on Fits is a positive ground. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on thanks man, I have an etm for it too.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I found:

There's also obviously a bit of heat damage on the pin in the old headlight switch. I'm having the owner call Honda of America tomorrow to see if there's a resolution or updated product for this. The dealer didn't even take anything apart, just said that it was a switch and quoted her $180 to remove the column cover, drop the four column bolts and pull the switch.

Oh well. Just wanted to document this for others who might have this problem. Ill keep the thread current woth any updates.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue

Wow! The insulation looks a little fried on two of those wires. Thanks for posting the photos- this may help other Fit owners with this problem. With the number of other posts that you mentioned, on top of your Fit-owner friend's problem, this looks like a defect that may be covered by a Honda TSB in the future. I'm sorry that it was not a simple loose ground connection.

It's nice to see tech-oriented folks like yourself posting evidence of the root cause of a problem, instead of finding the problem, and just letting the thread die. If the headlights in my '09 Fit start to give me problems, I will just order a new switch and replace it myself.

Thanks for your complete information!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Absolutely. I'm always glad to contribute.

From what I read before and from what I saw first hand, it looks like there was some corrosion at the contacts that caused that pin and that pin only to get hot to the point of melting the plug shell and damaging that last 1/4" of insulation. The problem was intermittent at first, but by the time I got to it the lowbeams did not work at all. I cleaned the connector with contact cleaner and applied dielectric grease to all the pins to hopefully prevent any future corrosion issues, but that plug shell really should be replaced. Replacing the whole column harness would be a bit overkill though. Hopefully the dealer/Honda will have a fix when she heads up there tomorrow with those pics. From my point of view that looks like a product defect AND a safety issue.

I'm also going to call one of my old coworkers tomorrow and see if he knows anything about it, he's currently the shop foreman at the dealer that I used to work for.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks once again. Yep- headlights that won't go on, and particularly ones that shut off by themselves is a definite safety issue. I assume that most people are smart enough not to just drive off in the dark if the lights won't turn on, and that event would really **** off any car owner. But the problems that you illustrated could cause the lights to just shut off at any time. That kind of event could kill you. This is not the kind of quality that people expect in their Honda Fits, or any Honda model.

Please let us know how your friend was treated by her dealer, and if your tech buddy has any inside knowledge about the light problem, post that too if you can.

The importance of this issue ranks right up there with the early failure of the EPS (Electronic Power Steering Module) that has been heavily discussed in several forums. If you "go blind" in the dark, or can't steer your car, WTF do you do? If you survive the event, you call a tow truck- but you didn't buy this car to be calling tow trucks just to get to work or home.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:01 AM
TRIAL USER

Well this problem is the reason I joined this Forum. My low beams were not working but everything else was. And when I opened up the steering column I found the same thing but a little more fried! I am a former helo mech but and absolutly hate wiring and anything electric. spAdam do you know if the dealer was able to fix the problem by just replacing the switch or did they need to replace wiring?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 07 fit intermittent headlight switch issue

lol buddy the driver side headlight looks like the yellow oem fogs lol so i believe i have my work cut out lol

where can i get the 3m headlight restoration gunk from?

Last edited by akitodito; 05-27-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a recall on fits for this problem. just like 01-05 civics. the kit consists of a new connector, larger wire, butt connector and new combo switch.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet. another recall. have 48k miles and haven't had this problem yet..
Old 05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r710
theres a recall on fits for this problem. just like 01-05 civics. the kit consists of a new connector, larger wire, butt connector and new combo switch.
I just ran into this problem with my fiance's Fit last night. Do you have a link for any more info about this recall? I couldn't find any info about a recall or tsb about this specific issue at all. I googled it but came up with nothing about this specific problem.

The weird thing about it, is that the switch works. I turn the low beams on, the relay clicks, the fuses pass 12 volts, there's even 12 volts at the plug. I haven't found a definite wiring diagram for the fit yet, so I don't know if the plug for the bulb has a 12 volt common or of the common is ground. Does anyone have a service manual, or have a circuit diagram for the Fit's 9003 plug? Did anyone else have these same symptoms and have it turn out to be the burnt wire to the switch anyway?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can find quite a few posts on this problem on another Fit forum web site:

www.fitfreak.net

I am no longer a member of those forums, but I remember a long-running thread on the GD3 headlight switch problems.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, sorry I didn't abandon you, life has just been in the way for the last few months... especially since this was a friend's car, I'm still driving around in a 00 civic and building a 94 haha...

Most of the initial info I got was from the threads on fitfreak. I still haven't contacted my buddy at Honda, but I promise you that I'll keep updated as soon as I do.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Trial User

My version of the headlight issue with my 07 Fit Sport is similar to the other posts. The high beams still work, but the low beams and the fog lights both quit working at the same time.

I contacted the nearest dealer, Phil Hughes Honda in Athens, GA last Friday, May 14th, and was told by the service manager that there was currently no recall for this issue, and I would have to pay around $100 to diagnose the problem. I said paying for the diagnosis was not appropriate, and they advised that I could call the 800 number for Honda USA customer service. They were useless and also told me there was not a recall and I would have to pay for the diagnosis.

I then contacted the dealer where I purchased the car, Honda of Conyers, GA., and was told to try changing the light bulb; that it was possible that both low-beams could burn out simultaneously. If that didn't work, the service manager said to call him back. After thinking about it, I decided it didn't make sense for both the low-beams and fog lights to burn out at the same time, so I'm not going to waste time changing bulbs. The fog lights have only been used for maybe 4-5 hours since I bought the car. BTW, I have about 61,000 miles on my Fit Sport.

This appears to be exactly the same issues others have experienced, so I plan to pursue the issue again tomorrow with the Conyers service mgr. Just checked the Honda owner link website and no recall has been released for the headlight switch issue as of 12:13 am EST, May 20, 2010.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: 07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue

It sounds like Honda USA is shooting itself in the foot by denying that this flaw exists. Sooner or later this is going to blow up in their faces like the current Toyota fiasco.

A little customer service and honesty would earn Honda more sales than denying a real problem is saving them in warranty coverage expense.

This is similar to the deaths from the gas tanks located under the driver's door of Chevy pickups, deaths from gas tanks just in front of the rear bumper on Ford Crown Vics, and deaths from electronic module failures on the distributors of Ford Rangers and Bronco II's, and vehicle loss from fires caused by faulty cruise control wires in the brake master cylinders of Ford pickups.

If all of these geniuses would just say "Sorry, we goofed. Come right in and we'll fix it", (and really MEAN it) they would see a much bigger return on their investment.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Hey fit guys, doin some research here...

Was there ever a solution for this problem?

Im putting a combi switch in an '07 for a friend tomorrow, she has this problem and ordered the part for me to install since the dealer really wanted to jam her (not my words, and as an ex honda technician, I do understand that thats the way they make their money, so whatever). Anyways, there's a few blips around the internet when I search of people having this problem It seems that there is a corrosion issue somewhere, most likely at the connector from the column harness to the headlight switch.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I really hate throwing parts at a car if its not gonna fix the problem. Wastes both of our time, her money, and makes me look like a hack. Thanks in advance guys!
I've had this problem with both sides. The connector on the back of the bulb would come loose. First with the light working intermittently then not at all when the connector finally came completely off.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-09-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Trial User

I have the EXACT same issue as in the 3 photos shown and I am at the Honda Dealer now with this result:

I got to Hanson at 8:00am and after the inspection, it was determined that the connector was burned and no reason why.
My 2 choices (I had an appointment for the whole day in case they needed to replace the whole harness) was:

1. To just remove the connector and about 6" of wire and cut the end off of the new wiring harness and solder that on with heat shrink tubing and it will take 2-3 hours and I have to play for the whole harness and labor ~$500.00 OR

2. I can have them replace the whole harness and 7 hours of labor for ~$800.00 and it can't be finished today and I would need a rental car and pay for that!

I am going to contact Honda Corporate after I leave today and NHTSA as I have an open complaint (i have to do just the connector - cant take more time off!) and fight this. I got here in time for a day’s labor but now they can’t do this and this is the exact scenario I have found on other blogs talking about the same issue.
Stay tuned for more!!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm omw to replace yet another one of these after I get done with work tonight. Still haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone on the dealer side of the issue.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Trial User

Honda Corporate said until more people complain to the NHTSB, I wil have to wait for a recall to get reimbursed. I have a complaint filed just need others woth 02's to complain _ i'm going to fight this!

Mark
Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Feds are investigating this now:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

NHTSA Action Number: NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
PE10037 N/A
Make: HONDA Model: FIT
Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
Year : 2007
Component :
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:SWITCH
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:HIGH/LOW BEAM DIMMER SWITCH

Date Investigation Opened : September 16, 2010
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
The Office of Defects Investigation has received eight reports from consumers alleging the low beam headlights stopped working. Several of the complainants report having a wiring harness connector and headlight switch replaced as the repair.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Trial User

Please file a complaint with the NHTSA at
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. There already has been a report about it, but still complain. The more complaints there are the faster it will be taken care of. You can do it online in the comfort of your own home and it only takes a few minutes.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just saw on CNN that Honda has announced a recall on this issue.

Quick Reply: 07 fit, intermittent headlight switch issue