Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 What do yall think of vtec killer cams

Don't know much about them..
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What do yall think of vtech killer cams

the search function is your friend. i have no personal experience with them, people typically use them for aggressive street racing or track use only. good luck.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Icon3 Re: What do yall think of vtech killer cams

what setup of vteck killer cams would u go with... I have a type r
Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM

Default Re: What do yall think of vtech killer cams

vtech
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What do yall think of vtec killer cams

Look in the all motor and drag racing forums for guidance. These extreme cams eliminate the VTEC system and use a single lobe, rollerized rocker setup. For the price, potential gains, and associated issues, you may want to look at other engine platforms.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its VTEC guys. . . . anyways had a buddy with some in his em1 it sounds really cool and makes a huge difference if you have the engine work to go with them but they sucked for nice street driving. Also Honda makes their engines "reliable" for 400,000 VTEC engagements so with killers that is ticking away by the second lol. I read somewhere that no engine has lasted more than 80k miles on killer cams.

Last edited by 541DB1; 12-17-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Might as well switch to an LS head LOL.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92integra_ls
Don't know much about them..
I guess if you have a built B series race car they would be nice. They are bacically made for high power builds that are for race like driving conditions where you will be in the top of the power band most of the time. You may low end driveability.

Last edited by variable; 12-17-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not intended for a daily driver....

What made you look into these cams?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:18 PM

my type r is already all motor, I dont wanna go turbo or nos... i like how da toda vtech killer cams sound... and I want to put out more power then what i already have... so what else can i do
Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I drive a G35, it's silver, surprised?

my type r is already all motor, I dont wanna go turbo or nos... i like how da toda vtech killer cams sound... and I want to put out more power then what i already have... so what else can i do
The fact that your reasoning to go with such an extreme set up is based upon how it sounds....yeah, you're not ready for that.

If you want more power, look into the standard power up grades before even considering removing vtec.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah if you want aggressive cams get SK2P2s.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 PM

if you dd why would you want to get those aggressive cams? unless your cars being tracked?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Well I thought it works with vtech or no vtech... Which one is it 4sure????
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
New User

Ok lets get this straightened up... I'm almost positive v-tech killer cams from toda don't ever up your performance much if at all for that matter. All they are made for is to eliminate v-tech, there is ONE lobe instead of TWO. all v-tech is, is 2 lobes that cross over at a certain rpm range and increases the lift on your valves, which then allows more air flow, therefor makes the cams more aggressive when they cross over at that certain RPM range that it is set for on the ECU. that's all v-tech does, so the killer cams eliminates v-tech which evens out the powerband. I'm pretty sure they were made for strictly track use for N/A races where things like v-tech are not allowed within the regulations. I don't think they really even give power gains like a crower or skunk2 setup would. They just sound cool and that's why a lot of people like them. You can go on forums and use the search or look up articles and it will show you the cam lift and duration so you can compare for yourself and make a decision. What are you going to use them for anyway? You have to explain your goals/purposes so we can give you proper advice here. If your just after the noise then get an LS head and slap on some crower 62403's or 404's and advance your timing just a tad. Will sound lopey as hell just like the toda cams.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i really am havin a hard time with this concept, why build a vtec motor for the track if u cant use vtec? also why would u want to eliminate vtec, it helps produce more power, so if u have a even powerr band throughout the acceleration without the extra power of vtec, then wut the f is the point?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VA99GS
Ok lets get this straightened up... I'm almost positive v-tech killer cams from toda don't ever up your performance much if at all for that matter. All they are made for is to eliminate v-tech, there is ONE lobe instead of TWO. all v-tech is, is 2 lobes that cross over at a certain rpm range and increases the lift on your valves, which then allows more air flow, therefor makes the cams more aggressive when they cross over at that certain RPM range that it is set for on the ECU. that's all v-tech does, so the killer cams eliminates v-tech which evens out the powerband. I'm pretty sure they were made for strictly track use for N/A races where things like v-tech are not allowed within the regulations. I don't think they really even give power gains like a crower or skunk2 setup would. They just sound cool and that's why a lot of people like them. You can go on forums and use the search or look up articles and it will show you the cam lift and duration so you can compare for yourself and make a decision. What are you going to use them for anyway? You have to explain your goals/purposes so we can give you proper advice here. If your just after the noise then get an LS head and slap on some crower 62403's or 404's and advance your timing just a tad. Will sound lopey as hell just like the toda cams.
its so aggravating when people spell vtec wrong. its VTEC people.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SkidmarkEH2
its so aggravating when people spell vtec wrong. its VTEC people.
ok ur post is pointless, it wus already stated earlier in the postthat its spelled vtec, READ! now can someone answer my damn question!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread is pointless there is a search button. use it.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mayfly
i really am havin a hard time with this concept, why build a vtec motor for the track if u cant use vtec? also why would u want to eliminate vtec, it helps produce more power, so if u have a even powerr band throughout the acceleration without the extra power of vtec, then wut the f is the point?
VTEC doesnt produce more power-its kinda like a good compromise-You get good low end power and fuel efficiency, and good top end....GSRs also compromise a little more, trading off some more top end for midrange punch. Basically 2 came profile in one. On a high end, high power b series race car, vtec could be a liability and somewhat pointless, as you would be in the high rpm range anyway, so why not just use a cam designed for high rpm power at the sacrafice of low rpm driveability? If you simplify things, the B18C motor is a high output motor designed for optimum power along with driveability and efficiency, which makes the dohc vtec motors so popular. If your goal is to get max hp on the top end through a race setup with little to no regard for the sacrafice of low end power, driveabilty, then the "vtec killer" cam is a race cam-designed for builds that focus on high rpm hp and will see majority of track use. If you are on the track and will always be in the RPM range above say, 5500 RPMs, them Vtec is not fully utilized and you may be better served with a cam designed for strictly high RPM power output. Stupid for any street car, unless the motor is built to suit the cams. In other words, a B18C with bolt ons that you drive on the street would not benifit from this item. Appears the OP is in this situation. There ar plenty of good quality power producing aftermarket VTEC cams that would be a better option.

Last edited by variable; 12-17-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I thought it works with vtech or no vtech... Which one is it 4sure????
LOL I want to make this my sig.

VTEC stands for Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. It's a belabored acronym but it gets the point across. The most important thing here is 'VARIABLE.'

Basically VTEC controls valve timing by switching between two different valve timing/lift modes. This effectively allows VTEC cars to run on two different camshaft profiles. Normal non VTEC engines only get one cam profile -- tuned for either high or low peak torque on the powerband. VTEC gives us two cam profiles and therefore a profile that is torquey on the high and low end. The purpose of this is to give us useful low-midrange torque while simultaneously allowing us to make useful power at very high engine speeds. The VTEC system controls the point at which the engine switches from operating off of the mild profile to the aggressive profile.

The VTEC killers eliminate VTEC by providing only one cam profile. This means that the car stays on a relatively extreme profile ALL THE TIME. The only advantage to this is one of oil distribution. Otherwise, it's always better to have the lower range cam profiles available for low-rpm driving. The VTEC killers cams suffer from the problem that all aggressive cams suffer from on non-variable valve timing & lift engines -- they idle very poorly and produce very weak power low on the powerband.

VTEC isn't always on or always off when the VTEC killers are in the engine. It's effectively disabled. There's a big difference. In fact, the only way for VTEC to be 'on' is if the system is working properly. It's confusing because people use the misleading term 'I'm in VTEC' to mean that they are on the secondary profile of the cam. It doesn't mean VTEC is 'on,' just that they are on a different part of the cam, and a VTEC cam is simply a cam that has multiple profiles.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 541DB1
Its VTEC guys. . . . anyways had a buddy with some in his em1 it sounds really cool and makes a huge difference if you have the engine work to go with them but they sucked for nice street driving. Also Honda makes their engines "reliable" for 400,000 VTEC engagements so with killers that is ticking away by the second lol. I read somewhere that no engine has lasted more than 80k miles on killer cams.
Agreed, However...
Anyone who buys VTEC Killer Cams for a daily and expects all of Honda's "reliablity" to roll over is suffering from borderline mental retardation. Look, these are meant for a "RACE" car not for your b16 to sound like your dad's 68 Camaro! A couple guys around here have had these cams and make great power but between snapping timing belts and buying valves left and right, you can make just as much peak power with other cams on the market today! Besides VTEC was created so you can have good low end power and still have high rpm power as well...
Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The killer cams are sweet. I've driven a k20 and b16 with em and loved them. But I'm also the a-hole who has an open down pipe on his daily, so there ya go. Just do some research and be reasonable about your application.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you say your motor is built for NA are you talking like stock type R or higher comp? If your only choice to use these cams was due to the sound you make you really shouldnt be going with that cam choice. IMO your type R cams are prolly the best for your set up unless you are running some crazy NA build that you have stated