Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fog light install issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light install issue

I have a 2000 Civic Si and i bought fog lights for it off of ebay and they didnt ship with instructions..supposed to be a factory kit..came with factory switch to mount next to my sun roof switch in the car..but my issue is A) i have a bad ground. or B) there is a brown plug that i have no idea where it goes its connected to a white wire thats comming off of the switch and it has a sticker tab on it that is labled "Lgn ition"...i tried bringing it up on line for a wiring diagram but no luck..they are VinJet brand...any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog light install issue

for the ground grind the paint anywhere in your chasis where not visible behind bumper...
as the brown wire gots to go to fuse box all the way up to there is like 5 in a row plug it where it fits that's it
Old 11-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no brown wire its white with a brown plug..i figured that for the grounds but im still stumped on this plug issue
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oopps read backwards but is the same explanation
Old 11-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the brown plug goes to the interior fuse panel. The slots for that plug are located at the top of the fuse panel and I believe there are 4... My 99 Si was really picky as to which plug the lights would work properly on though and my switch still will not turn them on and off, just come on with the headlights and won't go off with my high beams. Hope you have better luck lol
Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having issues with my install as well... I found my brown plug that goes behind the fuse box, however I am left with two other brown plugs (one connected to a red wire and one connected to a black wire). It says, in step 27 of the install manual, "connect the switch harness connectors between the headlight switch and the vehicle harness." the diagram http://www.handa-accessories.com/civ...cfoglights.pdf shows to disconnect the connectors from the headlight switch and pull them to the side (step 26) which I have done, yet I am confused on step 27... Suggestions?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

...When I do this, I'm going to throw that damn switch and instructions away. Many of those switches and instructions are dumb and really make the situation worse. I just plan to direct the lights into my parking light system.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this should help
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=61880
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95EG2
this is the same diagram with the same lousy instructions that do not clarify this step
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^. Now I've found a walkthrough that starts at the console and shows you how to swap the system into your parking lights by swapping a few pin connectors. at what point would I end the circuit? Because it's obviously an open circuit till you connect the switch. Would I just need to end the circuit at the vehicle harness/fog light harness connector? That's what makes sense to me. Then from there swap the pins.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a shot of my fog light switch harness... http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...=1280871135632

the two plugs I have vacant are the two brown ones, one red wire & one black wire. here is a close up shot http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...t=DSC01395.jpg

Since I cannot think of anywhere these would go, I am thinking about snipping the plugs off and grounding the black wire (which would be a second ground) and running the red wire to a fuse to generate power. Is this a good idea, or are these plugs actually meant for something?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. Now i had some issues kinda like your's, but to my knowledge the Red wire/Brown plug goes into one of the 5 connectors at the top of your fuse box. That "should" be your Pwr wire. Now the Black wire/Brown Plug is kinda iffy. I wouldn't cut it and assume its a ground since you grounded a "ground" wire already. That wire might plug into another Brown wire taped up with Blue tape to the Back side of your fuse box. Not Sure though. Try that and see if any of this helps you
Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also i didn't this route because when i pluged that brown plug into the fuse box, i went to hit the fog switch and Bam! it melted the inline fuse wiring and got all sketchy. LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ef8crxsi4u2nv
Okay. to my knowledge the Red wire/Brown plug goes into one of the 5 connectors at the top of your fuse box. That "should" be your Pwr wire. Now the Black wire/Brown Plug is kinda iffy. I wouldn't cut it and assume its a ground since you grounded a "ground" wire already. That wire might plug into another Brown wire taped up with Blue tape to the Back side of your fuse box. Not Sure though. Try that and see if any of this helps you
I was able to find one of those plug in wires behind the fuse box and plugged in 1 of the 3 brown plugs I had (before all of this). I do recall seeing another empty plug back there so ill give it a try and see if anything starts working. hopefully nothing will fry
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my kit off ebay too, but from K2 motors(thinking it should be really easy to install, cuz i seen an article in project car mag several years ago) and when i got my kit, my relay side of the kit had to be wired outside in the engine bay,Red wire with the inline fuse went straight to the battery, ground wire grounded, and the wire that is suppose to plug into the brown plug by the windshield wash resevoir(blue wire) i ended up cutting that extra wire u have with the plug and spliced it into the the other red wire so i could plug it in to the harness by the resevoir, now for the inside wiring, the green plug should go to the switch, mine had couple extra plugs also, i had a white wire with brown plug so i found a slot for it in the under dash fuse box......My kit has 3 wires coming from the switch=Red-wire it or plug it into the blue wire w/brown plug(its under their)
White wire w/brown plug-plugs into fuse box
Black wire- Find a good ground(i used the kick plate bolt right below the steering column......Hope this helps, i'll try and take some pics of my set up if possible....
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by si_motor_spt
i got my kit off ebay too, but from K2 motors(thinking it should be really easy to install, cuz i seen an article in project car mag several years ago) and when i got my kit, my relay side of the kit had to be wired outside in the engine bay,Red wire with the inline fuse went straight to the battery, ground wire grounded, and the wire that is suppose to plug into the brown plug by the windshield wash resevoir(blue wire) i ended up cutting that extra wire u have with the plug and spliced it into the the other red wire so i could plug it in to the harness by the resevoir, now for the inside wiring, the green plug should go to the switch, mine had couple extra plugs also, i had a white wire with brown plug so i found a slot for it in the under dash fuse box......My kit has 3 wires coming from the switch=Red-wire it or plug it into the blue wire w/brown plug(its under their)
Black wire- Find a good ground(i used the kick plate bolt right below the steering column......Hope this helps, i'll try and take some pics of my set up if possible....
You sir are correct. Thats what did, just didn't go look at my car at the time.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked again behind the fuse box, and the only wire with a plug at the end of it was that of a different connection and it was a two-wire plug (blue and black wires). here is the pic http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...t=DSC01404.jpg

Originally Posted by Ef8crxsi4u2nv
Okay. to my knowledge the Red wire/Brown plug goes into one of the 5 connectors at the top of your fuse box. That "should" be your Pwr wire.
are you saying there are connections for the vacant brown plugs to just insert into the back/top of the fuse box?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by si_motor_spt
the wire that is suppose to plug into the brown plug by the windshield wash resevoir(blue wire) i ended up cutting that extra wire u have with the plug and spliced it into the the other red wire so i could plug it in to the harness by the resevoir, now for the inside wiring, the green plug should go to the switch, mine had couple extra plugs also, i had a white wire with brown plug so i found a slot for it in the under dash fuse box......My kit has 3 wires coming from the switch=Red-wire it or plug it into the blue wire w/brown plug(its under their)

If you can post pics of this it will give me a good idea of what to do. Im following what you are saying but I am a visual learner. Was your kit also for a 99-00 or does the color of the wires just not matter?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya my kit is for a 99-00 coupe, the blue wire w/brown plug is tucked behind the fuse box with a piece of blue tape.....