Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

DIY Fix for all that had the P0401 code

Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 DIY Fix for all that had the P0401 code

Well I got the P0401 code, EGR insufficient flow. Auto Zone told me that a new $150 EGR and some fuel injector cleaner will fix this problem, but I had other ideas. Here's how you can save $150 by just cleaning the EGR chamber, and get rid of the CEL. You will need; wire brush, some carb cleaner or brake cleaner, a shop vac, new EGR gasket $1-$2 and new EGR chamber gasket $32.00 from Honda.

1. Remove the fuel rail with the injectors intact if possible. (Do it slow and gentle)
2. Unbolt the EGR valve.
3. Unbolt the EGR chamber underneath the fuel, that is bolted on to the intake manifold.
4. Soak the EGR chamber with a cleaner and scrub the hell out of it, this took me a while as you can see how dirty it was. I mean it was hard as a rock at some spots.
5. Use the shop vac to suck the carbon build up as you break it away on the intake manifold.
I used a small flat head screw driver, and carefully scraped away. All four holes were clogged up as you see. I hope this helps, its seems that my car idle's better and has a better pick up. But most importantly there's no more CEL.
Attached Images      
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Fix for all that had the P0401 code

More
Attached Images      
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good write up. Should be faq'ed ha. Does it concern you though when those bits of carbon build up from the EGR ports in the manifold fall down into the runners? I plan on doing this soon (no engine code, just because i never got around to doing it when original maintenence was done)
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigsnorlax
good write up. Should be faq'ed ha. Does it concern you though when those bits of carbon build up from the EGR ports in the manifold fall down into the runners? I plan on doing this soon (no engine code, just because i never got around to doing it when original maintenence was done)

Yes, I was a little concerned, but I figured it would get burned up anyways. I tried to get as much as I could with the shop vac. I mean the best way do to this would be to remove the whole Intake manifold and clean it as well. However I didnt have the time to do it, since I was installing new rotors and pads that took like 2.5 hours " Damn hub over rotor" =(
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECn83
Yes, I was a little concerned, but I figured it would get burned up anyways. I tried to get as much as I could with the shop vac. I mean the best way do to this would be to remove the whole Intake manifold and clean it as well. However I didnt have the time to do it, since I was installing new rotors and pads that took like 2.5 hours " Damn hub over rotor" =(
Yeah i gotcha, so a shop vac isnt powerful enough to just like suck it all out of the ports? phooey.. ha thats how i was thinking of doin it ha. I plan on keeping the injectors installed just to minimize risk of crud fallin in there or loosing an O-ring ha but i fooled around with them for a bit and couldnt figure it out..there's small plastic clips on the ends of them, and i couldnt figure out at all how to get them removed and keep the injectors installed ha. Did u run into this? or not fool with it?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it or not is IS faq'd but I'm sure those pictures are long gone. TouringAccord or RedneckDave should toss this in there no problem.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigsnorlax
Yeah i gotcha, so a shop vac isnt powerful enough to just like suck it all out of the ports? phooey.. ha thats how i was thinking of doin it ha. I plan on keeping the injectors installed just to minimize risk of crud fallin in there or loosing an O-ring ha but i fooled around with them for a bit and couldnt figure it out..there's small plastic clips on the ends of them, and i couldnt figure out at all how to get them removed and keep the injectors installed ha. Did u run into this? or not fool with it?
I didnt even bother with that, since they came out so easily with the fuel rail. But I didnt even look how to un-clip them. If some one else could chime in, it would be great. You also said that the shop vac inst powerful enough? Well the carbon build up was hard as rock, that I needed something to break it up. I used a screw driver to gently break it up while the shop vac did the rest. I also glad the I took the injectors out, because they had crud around them where they sit on the O-ring. But for 216K injectors the spray tips looked extremly clean.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
He knows where you live!

The suggestion in the other thread (and what I used) was a Dremel to clean up that gunk. 99% of it popped outwards and I just used an air can to get rid of it
Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
The suggestion in the other thread (and what I used) was a Dremel to clean up that gunk. 99% of it popped outwards and I just used an air can to get rid of it
What kind of a tip did you use? was it a soft?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
He knows where you live!

What kind of a tip did you use? was it a soft?
Nope, I used the spherical shaped tip and just went at it. Seemed to work pretty decent. I did do it at a relatively low speed.

Think I used PB Blaster or Brake Cleaner after that to make sure the holes were good.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Nope, I used the spherical shaped tip and just went at it. Seemed to work pretty decent. I did do it at a relatively low speed.

Think I used PB Blaster or Brake Cleaner after that to make sure the holes were good.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Great write-up. My g/f's accord has this problem and I simply didn't know how to go about tackling it.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
Great write-up. My g/f's accord has this problem and I simply didn't know how to go about tackling it.
Its very easy, just take your time =D
Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
New User

I assume that this wirte up if for the 96 accord under you user name? I have a 98 accord with what looks like the same motor in the picture f23a1. I don't see the egr chamber anywhere near the fuel rail or under it for that matter. Do you guys know if the 98 has it or not. I read somewhere else about needing to tap out plugs and put in new ones, but I can't confirm either way for a 98 accord with the f23a1. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ride_hard12
I assume that this wirte up if for the 96 accord under you user name? I have a 98 accord with what looks like the same motor in the picture f23a1. I don't see the egr chamber anywhere near the fuel rail or under it for that matter. Do you guys know if the 98 has it or not. I read somewhere else about needing to tap out plugs and put in new ones, but I can't confirm either way for a 98 accord with the f23a1. Thanks.
I have the same question for 98 V6 accord. Can somebody please list the part # for egr gasket and chamber gasket? I'll attached the pic of the exhaust part.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by govtec
I have the same question for 98 V6 accord. Can somebody please list the part # for egr gasket and chamber gasket? I'll attached the pic of the exhaust part.
6th gen Accord V6 is different. See TSB for instructions and part #:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/A99-085.pdf
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think the local dealer will fix this under good will warranty?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished doing this project today in my 98 Accord V6 per the TSB instruction. Big improvement in acceleration but the CEL is still on. I will try replacing the EGR Valve next and hopefully this will solve it. If not, it's definitely the O2 sensor.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Trial User

this is for all 98-01 4 Cyl EGR problems....................

dissassemble intake manifold. and locate EGR ports
Name:  IMG_1091.jpg
Views: 39057
Size:  107.7 KB

look at left side of manifold top
Name:  IMG_1093.jpg
Views: 17154
Size:  69.8 KB

unblock plug with screwdriver and throttle body cleaner
Name:  IMG_1094.jpg
Views: 42989
Size:  84.3 KB

reassemble manifold and clear out cel.....
Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW that F-in DIRTY!!!! This is why I hate emissions system the way it set up... polluting the **** out of the motor.... For my next car I'm definetly going to try to do a EGR delete and an OIL catch can... I got no words for this.....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW that F-in DIRTY!!!! This is why I hate emissions system the way it set up... polluting the **** out of the motor.... For my next car I'm definetly going to try to do a EGR delete and an OIL catch can... I got no words for this.....
Unless your shade tree wisom is better than that of engineers with PhDs leave it alone.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nicefeet
Unless your shade tree wisom is better than that of engineers with PhDs leave it alone.
Just cause they got PHd's don't mean anything.... don't you see the evidence in the pictures.. PHd's at their finest.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just cause they got PHd's don't mean anything.... don't you see the evidence in the pictures.. PHd's at their finest.
EGR is the best Nox reduction method we have. You would "delete" your EGR system because carbon builds up after a couple hundred thousand miles? The ports plug up where the system cools off like when it reaches the intake manifold. The fix is usually pretty painless and doesn't have to be done more than a couple of times in the life of the car, if that.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That evidence means nothing to me.

What do the intake ports look like?
What do the backsides of the intake valves look like?
More importantly what do the tail pipe emissions look like?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Fix for all that had the P0401 code