Notices

yet another "CRXurection" build

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building my 89 CRX

after having this junky for more than a year now, i finally had the time to start working on it.

while working full time as an IT engineer and having to attend with my family-of-four needs, it's only during my free that this old ride will see some progress. i guess this will be my start of yet another long restoration journey.

i started tearing her apart last week, thinking of swapping some used EF8 front end i acquired a couple of months back...

only to find a mangled front bulk head...

i wanted to prep her a bit so i can take her to the nearest local traffic department, pass the vehicle inspection program, renew the car's registration and get her a valid permit so i can drop her to a local workshop, have the rest of it's body parts fixed and get her painted, in and out.

poor baby with some sexy but ugly springs and a leaking strut.

an old set of GC/KYB AGX from my hatch will replace them soon so no biggy.

then the quest goes on, needing some weight reduction program! LOLs

some few OE parts that needs to go in

got some replacement axle boots to prep them shafts...

while am waiting for some more extra parts on its way, few things i've been collecting the past few months...

shipping costs owns me as usual since most of these parts are not available locally.

i hope to post more updates as my limited time allows. thanks for viewing

Last edited by ef92b; 08-02-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: change title of the thread
Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: yet another "CRXurection" build

nice nice. though in the photo with the hatch and the new rex together, i feel the hatch has a nicer front end.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll try to make the rex close to it as my funds or the wifey allows. thanks!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

always wanted to cut rear part of a rex and stitch it to a hatch.. future project, anyone?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

parts are looking good, im in for this one and glad to see you got some stock tails cuz the ones on it ruin it lol
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and what is that between the hatch and the rear? is that the only way to stop the damn leaky *** hatch? lol
Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by project91crxsi
parts are looking good, im in for this one and glad to see you got some stock tails cuz the ones on it ruin it lol
am glad am able to grab them too. shipped all the way from UK, along with the rear bumper and center garnish.

one legit seller, fast shipping too

yeah, what's the deal with that crx reared hatch? i bet it's fugly!

why not a sedan instead with a rex rear end LOL
Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look like a nice project man GL!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the build!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!

dam get dusty much? LOL
Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great start so far. good luck with her
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is my buddies ukdm ee8, just a little inspiration.!!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow your hatch build turned out really nice! looking forward to the crx, good luck.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:08 PM
New User

looks like it's gonna be a nice build, enjoy. Not sure exactly where you're at, but that electrical distribution installation there looks pretty scary on the wall near your car.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it's very hard to get the parts especially in middle east (katulad ko din po) but you're the master!

nice one sir! good luck!

i hope i can come to your place one day
Old 10-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef nine
look like a nice project man GL!
Originally Posted by r b k a
good luck with the build!
Originally Posted by red_EF9Si
great start so far. good luck with her
thanks guys! yup! i need all the luck

Originally Posted by sh!ft
dam get dusty much? LOL
that's why i call her my project: Desertstorm 2, my hatch was supposed to be the version 1, LOL

Originally Posted by SIR HATCH
this is my buddies ukdm ee8, just a little inspiration.!!!!
now i'm envious!! haha i love them white cars. inspirational indeed!!! thanks for sharing man!

Originally Posted by abnaasefmb
wow your hatch build turned out really nice! looking forward to the crx, good luck.
thanks man! how's the snail doin?

Originally Posted by mrgibby91
looks like it's gonna be a nice build, enjoy. Not sure exactly where you're at, but that electrical distribution installation there looks pretty scary on the wall near your car.
thanks! i'm over here in Saudi Arabia that thing's like that for the last 10+ years so am not i even tapped an extra power source outlet myself from the main breaker switch

Originally Posted by alexEF
I know it's very hard to get the parts especially in middle east (katulad ko din po) but you're the master!

nice one sir! good luck!

i hope i can come to your place one day
thanks alex! you're most welcome sir. i need some extra hands infact.

yes sure! shipping costs = my arm and a leg

too sad today, my grandma just passed away due to old age and i needed to shell out some extra cash. may she rest in peace.

bought myself some 8 cans of spray paint. 4 gray primer and 4 black ones so i can paint the lca's, knuckles, etc. too bad there's no one in town who does powder coating jobs. how i wish i have my own garage and buy myself the tools to properly complete the job. i always wanted a sandblasting enclosure and a large air compressor too but i'm poor, leaving in a rented apartment

more pics later...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sir i can help you with sandblasting! :D send your parts to me and i will clean it for you! hehe

do you have any goodies that i can use for my EF? looking for low cost shipping! LOL
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alexEF
sir i can help you with sandblasting! :D send your parts to me and i will clean it for you! hehe

do you have any goodies that i can use for my EF? looking for low cost shipping! LOL
i wish you're near my place. shipping costs no go! i wanted to ship a set of used CTR pistons towards a friend in UAE and it costs more than the part itself
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s doing pretty good, just went through a major refresh after getting back from your neck of the woods. I still need to weld some bungs on my valve cover and powder coat it the same color as the turbo and intake manifold, and make a better breather box, but honestly it’s about done. I’m looking for a new project, something rear wheel drive with a LSx engine, maybe a 240 or a rx7………..
Might have a chance to work in SA, would you recommend it for an infidel? lol

Old 10-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lovin the pics! how i wish having a nice place to work on just like your garage. pretty neat and nice setup as usual. looks solid! how much power is she making now?

powder coating FTW!

with your family along, working in here is nice. it's a very peaceful place i may say. great when intending to save more money. no hang-outs, simply a work and home business kinda thing.

about the breather box, after doing couple of FI'd civics the last few months, am a fan of the "larger the better" setup. the biggest you can fit in our tiny engine bays. here's some pics i stumbled upon while lurking around, just to give you more ideas.

Last edited by ef92b; 10-18-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: added some pics
Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OH!!..... big boos . Finally decided to start work on the car .

good luck man!

mr. amar
Old 10-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the design of that first one you posted, I’ve been racking my head on how to make it. Like you said there is just not much room in our engine bays for extras, my EG hatch pisses me off every time I open the hood on that pos. I could drop a v8 in that thing compared to the EF. It also doesn’t help that when I was painting the car I welded up EVERY hole in the engine bay that was not being used, so if anyone else gets a hair up their but and decides to shave the hell out of there engine bay remember things like breathers, alarm siren thingy and other crap, and since I’m on my rant, I would say the hell with all that extra work, I’ve never once have had anyone say “wow, looks like you spent a buttload of time, meticulously welding up all the extra holes (and there was like 5 billion of them)in your engine bay, that really looks nice” so save yourself the pain. So to add insult to injury, now I have to go drilling holes in the fire wall to mount the thing.

On another note, just in case you didn’t already know, powder coating is super easy, here in the states any retard with $70 can walk in to Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94244 and come out with a powder coating gun, (thank you Chinese people)buy a used oven from Craig’s list and you’re in business. Lots of powder here http://www.powderbuythepound.com/catalog/index.php like anything, there is a right way to do it and it will involve some research, but it’s not too hard. Of course space is your issue and there is no solution for that, I have read a lot about SA I just finished a book from Sandra Mackey call the “The Saudis” very interesting read, learned a lot, so if this book was at all accurate you shouldn’t have to worry about someone stealing your stuff from outside. lol
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by abnaasefmb
I like the design of that first one you posted, I’ve been racking my head on how to make it. Like you said there is just not much room in our engine bays for extras, my EG hatch pisses me off every time I open the hood on that pos. I could drop a v8 in that thing compared to the EF. It also doesn’t help that when I was painting the car I welded up EVERY hole in the engine bay that was not being used, so if anyone else gets a hair up their but and decides to shave the hell out of there engine bay remember things like breathers, alarm siren thingy and other crap, and since I’m on my rant, I would say the hell with all that extra work, I’ve never once have had anyone say “wow, looks like you spent a buttload of time, meticulously welding up all the extra holes (and there was like 5 billion of them)in your engine bay, that really looks nice” so save yourself the pain. So to add insult to injury, now I have to go drilling holes in the fire wall to mount the thing.

On another note, just in case you didn’t already know, powder coating is super easy, here in the states any retard with $70 can walk in to Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94244 and come out with a powder coating gun, (thank you Chinese people)buy a used oven from Craig’s list and you’re in business. Lots of powder here http://www.powderbuythepound.com/catalog/index.php like anything, there is a right way to do it and it will involve some research, but it’s not too hard. Of course space is your issue and there is no solution for that, I have read a lot about SA I just finished a book from Sandra Mackey call the “The Saudis” very interesting read, learned a lot, so if this book was at all accurate you shouldn’t have to worry about someone stealing your stuff from outside. lol
yup! that can fits like it's at home you may also like some K&N crankcase vent filters, exactly the same size just like those from T1's "bentley" cans lol summit p.n. 62-1515. got two of them couple of months ago.

i feel you about covering those holes on the firewall! hahaha. i really find it a PITA specially when i've tuned couple of rex's and ef hatches and tried finding a way to route the WB's harness from the bay to the cabin. : good thing they don't have a/c's hehe oh yeah, wait till you work on an EK. you'll be shitin' yourself why you still have an EF chassis lol

here's one that i've built for a customer and was recently completed. hoping for 450whp on pump and 550+ with race gas. complete ground-up, engine assembly(built inside my room) lol, harness rebuild, ecu chipping then tuning(Neptune). will hit the dyno after installing the new Precision fmic along with the Fullblown twin walbro kit and larger feed/return AN lines, hopefully after a week or two.

about those two links you posted, i guess we're living in a small world after all. exactly what i've been eying on. unfortunately, it's prohibited to ship by air anything that contains flammable items(paint, oil, etc.). i wish i'm living in the states so i can easily grab those tools without hurting my bank.

slow progress for me as of yesterday still cleaning parts as usual.

today i got myself some new o-ring/spacers as well for my old GC springs sleeves. the old ones are completely worn out and i'm glad i found some replacements with identical sizes. a pair of new Koyo wheel bearings too, cheap $21.27 a piece compared to $101 from the local dealership.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRX-B16-TURBO
OH!!..... big boos . Finally decided to start work on the car .

good luck man!

mr. amar
thanks man!

hmmm... i bet you miss these places! haha

Quick Reply: yet another "CRXurection" build