Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord Type-R Turbo build thread 56k 3x BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord Type-R Turbo build thread 56k 3x BEWARE

Hi guys,

Decided to share some info with you. Building this car for 2.5 years, had already one setup that had mahle gold's that broke, they aint no good. Trust me.

So now there is the new setup. Pictures starting from newest.

Whats more please give some advice, i have unknown engine clicking noise at very low rpms. One you throttle it even 2$ noise dissapears.

There is some video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsaJ405Utc

Build thread in next post

Last edited by funnyboy; 10-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Accord Type-R Turbo build thread

Enjoj. If anyone ask im from Europe-Latvia

Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Accord Type-R Turbo build thread 56k 3x BEWARE

WOW that's some crazy work there.

I'm interested to see how this performs
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funnyboy
Hi guys,

Decided to share some info with you. Building this car for 2.5 years, had already one setup that had mahle gold's that broke, they aint no good. Trust me.

So now there is the new setup. Pictures starting from newest.

Whats more please give some advice, i have unknown engine clicking noise at very low rpms. One you throttle it even 2$ noise dissapears.

There is some video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsaJ405Utc

Build thread in next post
Impressive build! I really like the Euro R... As for the noise? It sounds like it's coming from the bottom end. I would go through it once more. Before any possible catastrophic failure. GL and keep us posted.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OMG
CRAZY BUILD...
I see LOTS of pics and I thank you for that but please list specs..
>EDIT: GANGSTER MANIFOLD BTW..
Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm diggin the turbo manifold. That is a wicked setup. I would love to see what kind of power numbers you put down on this setup.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice build... you got some pretty good fab skills and clean.

does the sound go away if you press the clutch ?

or maybe valves ?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow....woww twice once for an actual EuroR and the second one for all that hard dedicated work put into that CL1 nice job man!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

F#@k'n Sweet Build! Nice manifold fabrication. The pictures say it all

Not 100% on the noise......maybe a valve out of adjustment?

Last edited by GhostAccord; 10-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JUst wow!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I......love......that.......header............That is eye candy. Such a mess of tubes, its a work of art!!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Type R Accord you got there mate, love the subtle differences between the Type R Accord and the Euro R's.

I was wanting to Turbo my Euro R as I see lots of people putting Turbo's onto Type R engines with great success. You sir give me more fuel for my lust for boost!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With GT35 it will probabbly be some 500 WHP with good torque and 600whp with low torque.

Bsides EuroR and Type-R are two differend cars, on two different chasis. EuroR is CL7 and Type-R is CH1.

Accord Type-R was produced in Europe in United Kingdom as a limited edition of 2000 cars each years, for Honda to be able to participate in WTCC competition. Type-R has H22A7 engine, sport chasis that is completelly different to other accords. And some other changes.

After UK made Type-R, Japan unsderstood that Europe has cheated from them Type-R model and said that Type-R's are japanese models. So they got angry and as an answer made EuroR that is for Japanese market bus is more or less standart Accord with H22A8 engine that in not half/hand crafted as H22A7. Type-R also got specific engine management on OBD-2A that had some serious tuning over any other H22 engine in the market. Although H22A7 has always had 212HP it has always performed a lot better than any H22A8 or H22A that claims to had even 220HP.

From what i know they made only 6000 Type-R's, as for 2000 units each year. All where built in United Kingdom.

EuroR

Type-R

Last edited by funnyboy; 10-07-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to take anything away from you or try to sound snarky / pissy funnyboy but.....
The Euro R has a seriously tuned / specific ECU for the car - OBD2B. Reason for this being the engine has larger cams, a ported head with a single runner intake (like the H22A7).
Also it is far from being a "standard" Accord with a H22A8 engine slapped into it, the suspension is uprated, has larger 300mm 5 lug brakes, close ratio box fitted with Hellical LSD standard, Recaro interior (as with the Accord Type R) full spoiler kit and a twin exit exhaust amoung other things.
Its downfall is that its based on a more narrow / shorter wheel base due to taxation laws in Japan giving it less track and possibly less handling ability compared to the Type R Accord.
Either way both cars are an engineering feat and both adorn the great "H" badge so they must be good right?

Top work on the Turbo Manifold BTW loving the placement of the turbo.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GlassJAw
Not to take anything away from you or try to sound snarky / pissy funnyboy but.....
The Euro R has a seriously tuned / specific ECU for the car - OBD2B. Reason for this being the engine has larger cams, a ported head with a single runner intake (like the H22A7).
Also it is far from being a "standard" Accord with a H22A8 engine slapped into it, the suspension is uprated, has larger 300mm 5 lug brakes, close ratio box fitted with Hellical LSD standard, Recaro interior (as with the Accord Type R) full spoiler kit and a twin exit exhaust amoung other things.
Its downfall is that its based on a more narrow / shorter wheel base due to taxation laws in Japan giving it less track and possibly less handling ability compared to the Type R Accord.
Either way both cars are an engineering feat and both adorn the great "H" badge so they must be good right?

Top work on the Turbo Manifold BTW loving the placement of the turbo.
Ok, i went too hard on this.

Still Type-R main advantage is that it has different chasis not just lowered like EuroR, Theoretically Type-R chasis was used in WTCC, but i believe in modified form.

Still i like Type-R look way more than EuroR. But it depends on individual.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Questions I have for you funnyboy, was the original damage (piston / liner scouring) done to the engine in N/A form??
Did the cambelt snap cause any damage to the engine??
Either way I love all the work you've put into it, it must pull like a school boy thats recently discovered he has summin in his pants!!

My individual taste is towards the Euro R's looks over the Type R..... but I'm biased as I have a Euro R (to me the Type R looks like a JDM Raf aga) Type R has too much ground clearance from Factory. The white car pictured above is just a standard Accord with a Euro R Grille / Bumper on it, Euro R's have Fender Flares & lightweight Magnesium 16" rims as well.
Also the Euro R has a stiffened Chassis, 4 point front Strut Bar - not just a lowered with bigger dampers / stiffer springs standard chassis setup. Theres even strengthining added to the rear strut towers just like the type r Integra's / Civics and bigger sway bars.
I think the added HP figure is more than likely due to the fact it runs EPS, so it doesn't lose any power running the power steering pump??

Last edited by GlassJAw; 10-08-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks for shining the light on the differences i thought they were interchangable names (EuroR & Type-R) so i guess i stand corrected and should put it like this ...

nice CH1!! lmfaoooo

and i have to agree that manifold is eye candy every time i check in on this thread thats the first thing i scroll down to see lol
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That build is epic... Jesus Christ!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Questions I have for you funnyboy, was the original damage (piston / liner scouring) done to the engine in N/A form??
Either way I love all the work you've put into it, it must pull like a school boy thats recently discovered he has summin in his pants!!

My individual taste is towards the Euro R's looks over the Type R..... but I'm biased as I have a Euro R (to me the Type R looks like a JDM Raf aga) Type R has too much ground clearance from Factory. The white car pictured above is just a standard Accord with a Euro R Grille / Bumper on it, Euro R's have Fender Flares & lightweight Magnesium 16" rims as well.
Also the Euro R has a stiffened Chassis, 4 point front Strut Bar - not just a lowered with bigger dampers / stiffer springs standard chassis setup. Theres even strengthining added to the rear strut towers just like the type r Integra's / Civics and bigger sway bars.
I think the added HP figure is more than likely due to the fact it runs EPS, so it doesn't lose any power running the power steering pump??
Type-R went first

Ok lets not got too hard on this. Both cars are great, no matter the differences. At this point all that is interesting in this story, is that European Honda cheated one Type-R model from japanese and built it first. So Japanese guys just god angry and although they didnt need to build that car for any competition purposes they still couldnt stand the fact that European Honda engineers in UK made a real competition car under Tyoe-R name.

There is some video from Top Gear, that is worlds most famous car show, this series is made at 1998 if im correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMZtAnKDuE
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originaly nothing was wrong, i still have my 11:1 pistons lying at garage floor, just as the rods. Can sell them to sameone, very rare.

Mahle Golds that you can see in first pictures are just ****, i didnt do anything, they just broke. End of story. Piece of crap.

I love your quote about the boy. :D
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Truly amazing work and great pictures. Looks like nothing I've seen before, and it looks awesome! Can't wait for more updates.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

holy **** that some nice fab work bro
Old 10-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by funnyboy
Originaly nothing was wrong, i still have my 11:1 pistons lying at garage floor, just as the rods. Can sell them to sameone, very rare.

Mahle Golds that you can see in first pictures are just ****, i didnt do anything, they just broke. End of story. Piece of crap.

I love your quote about the boy. :D
I'm starting to feel like a school boy thats just ha a sample of the latest confectionary available and want more - have you done anything to the beast over the weekend??
Any pictures of the original setup with the crappy Mahle Golds??
I sometimes wonder if the Type R Accord is what inspired the new FD2 Type R Civic's as the Europeans have the hatchback version correct??

You're also very correct about the Japs getting mad that Europe made a Type R Accord and decided they had to do something about it!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 AM
0x5359-0055

Awesome build

Love the new mani. Quick question though, your placement of the oil cooler with the old log mani, how well did that work for you? Assuming you have an oil temp guage of course.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best tool for finding unplesant sound locations in any rotating or moving car part.

So, i cant see anything bad in valve guides or valves themself. I see that there is EGR channel, maybe it is the one thats making that knocking noise at low rpms?

I have no idea where to go from there. Actually i have i just wanted to say so.
I think i will take the head apart and will take it to machine shop so they check the alignment of guides to valves etc. What you people think about it?

Also bought a new bumper.

Quick Reply: Accord Type-R Turbo build thread 56k 3x BEWARE