Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

something rubs and drags my car slow after i lowered it

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something rubs and drags my car slow after i lowered it

i just lowered my 90 integra on coilovers about 1.5 inch. and its got a draging or rubing noise at the front of the car, everytime i try to take off . it happens , its like something is rubing hard , and it slows the car down when you try to accelerate. noise is not so lound but you can feel something is draging you car slow when its under 2000 rpm

after 2000rpm , i gusse car is fast already , i cant feel it. when the car is on the jack stands , i rotate the wheels there is nothing rubing, this only happens when its in 1st and 2nd gear under 200rpm. doesnt happen when i rev it in neutral when is not moving. but when the car is runing on streets about 30mph i put it in neutral then give it lil but gas it seems drags or rubs a lil bit. when its runing about 30mph i put it in neutral , i let it slow down like that its smooth , theres nothing draging the car slow.
when i first put the coilovers on , i was at 2", drove it about 20miles. the rubbing was getting lighter and lighter, during those 20miles. and felt like it almost went away, then i adjusted it at 1.5. the draging thing is happening like the first time after i lowered it.

and my father who used to be a machanic told me this might be the axle, cuz when the car its lowered , the angle of the axles change, but after you drive it, it will get better cuz it wears during years , its got some kinda its own track when it moves . after you change the angle of it , the axle would not move like before, so thats why it rubs and slows you ride down

this never happened before it lowered , i checked there is nothing i can see, that touches ans rubs . i really have no idea, i think the car is never been lowered of its life before , cuz all the bolts and parts had no scratches. i am lil scared now , how did yall felt when your first lowered , any ideas and thoughts will be really really appreciate. thanks guys
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: something rubs and drags my car slow after i lowered it

sounds like you're rubbing tires. Check your fender lining should have a hole in it soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you hear rubbing. look at everything, you should see wear somewhere. rubs are some of the easiest problems to fix, they visually show you where the problem is
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by STOCK_SOHC_DX
sounds like you're rubbing tires. Check your fender lining should have a hole in it soon.
there is a 3 finger gap between tires and fenders , i will check see if there is anything in side rubs, i doubt that cuz when the car is moving without i give it gas it doesnt feel like anything drags it, this only happen when i give it gas, if that happens i let goes the gas or push the clutch pedal all the way down , it goes away immidiatly.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
if you hear rubbing. look at everything, you should see wear somewhere. rubs are some of the easiest problems to fix, they visually show you where the problem is
like he said...you should see the wear. from the last line description it almost sounds like a drivetrain problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's your tires being sliced. I had the same problem with that noise and when I looked on top of the tires you can see that the inside of the wheel well is slicing it a bit.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civichb98
It's your tires being sliced. I had the same problem with that noise and when I looked on top of the tires you can see that the inside of the wheel well is slicing it a bit.

but tires dont touch anything, theres gap between tires and all the suspension parts.

its just dont make any sense, i just changed the springs, my car is not slamed. it only lowered about 1.5".
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could this be the axles doing this , i def feel i the car struggling to take off, this draging noisy thing happens when the car from not moving to like 2 or 5 mph, it feels like theres some thing doesnt get enough lubricant, again this only happens when i give it gas, and this doesnt happen to reverse
Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there some reason you are spending time posting "what if" questions rather than just pulling the wheel and looking for where it's rubbing?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did , i dont see anything.........
Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, it's hard to say then, sorry.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who did the install, yourself? If the tires were rubbing it would be very noticeable, my only guess is that the shock forks could be on backwards and rubbing the axles, But only a moron could pull that off.

My advice, get the front on jackstands and remove the wheels. Preload the suspension to ride height with a jack and run the car.

Take pics too and post.

Edit: After reading your post again, did you check/fix your alignment after lowering the car?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TerribleToo
Who did the install, yourself? If the tires were rubbing it would be very noticeable, my only guess is that the shock forks could be on backwards and rubbing the axles, But only a moron could pull that off.

My advice, get the front on jackstands and remove the wheels. Preload the suspension to ride height with a jack and run the car.

Take pics too and post.

Edit: After reading your post again, did you check/fix your alignment after lowering the car?
x2

i had all of these exact thoughts
Old 09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This should be easy replicate, put the car on jack stands, compress the suspension, and look around.

Be sure your wheels and lug nuts are all seated properly.

Check your brakes as well, A sticky caliper will behave like that sometimes. Make sure you didn't damage a rubber brake line during the install. Bleed the lines if you've done any maintenance, or touched a caliper bleeder valve recently.

Look at the brake dust shields as well, they bend easily when your working down there.

AC, Power Steering, and Alternator still work?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just didnt metion that i did all of you said before i post , brake, dust shield, backward forks shouldnt happen to me , i work on my car all the time , if i dont know it i dont even touch it, cuz i know i could mess things up if i dont know. if its anything like you guys said, i shouldve found out by now, and it should rub and drag the car down all the time , not like this only when i try to take off, under 2000rpm, anyways, this might just go away if my gusse is right. i havent drive it , i will just put on a 100 miles see whats gonna happen.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If something doesnt "seem" right, then something isnt right. I suggest you figure it out before you go and put other peoples life in danger because you're too lazy to take it back apart and figure out what you did wrong.....

Im still kinda confused what your issue is?....when your doing 30 mph, under 2000rpms, in first or second and the car is in nuetral....it feels like it is dragging....but only if you give it a little gas??? <---is that correct?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the way i describe it makes yall confused, i dont speak very good english, the weird thing is i didnt do anything wrong , i will put down 1000 bucks with any one, if i put it back to stock , the problem will go away. maybe i should just let it go, cuz every one that rides on my car told me they dont feel anything strange, they always think that i am crazy , cuz i alwawys want eveything to be perfect. anyways, thanks for your advise, yall can just think of me as another dump kid who asks dump questions.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Spongebrad Squarepants

haha. you mean dumb?? lol.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
haha. you mean dumb?? lol.
yeah
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by akacoke
maybe the way i describe it makes yall confused, i dont speak very good english, the weird thing is i didnt do anything wrong , i will put down 1000 bucks with any one, if i put it back to stock , the problem will go away. maybe i should just let it go, cuz every one that rides on my car told me they dont feel anything strange, they always think that i am crazy , cuz i alwawys want eveything to be perfect. anyways, thanks for your advise, yall can just think of me as another dump kid who asks dump questions.
Originally Posted by TerribleToo
did you fix your alignment after lowering the car?
With a only a 1.5 drop I doubt the toeout would be so bad that it would burn up the tires and give you the feeling the car has added friction but it is a possibility. But you should get an alignment done, or atleast string the car and do it yourself.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got this **** solved , sounds funny, it was something related to drivetrain, i took off the front lower tie bar, i installed the lower tie bar while the car was on jack, i gusse once i put the car down the bar pulls the front lower control arms , this caused the problem, but still i think it was this changed the alxes ' angle. anyway, thanks for you guys' help.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

like he said...you should see the wear. from the last line description it almost sounds like a drivetrain problem.

score one for me!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

score one for me!

yeah man , i knew it was the drivetrain . i am so damn happy, now i can corner this bitch 50mph , after all the bars and the springs i dont even feel like turning
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

score one for me!
Front lower tie bar isnt drivetrain...now if it was causing the axles to rub something then yes Ill give you that point. Even if the axle rubbing was a symptom and not a problem, Ill let you slide this time....you should have seen rub marks somewhere, you just werent looking hard enough
Old 09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Originally Posted by akacoke
i got this **** solved , sounds funny, it was something related to drivetrain, i took off the front lower tie bar, i installed the lower tie bar while the car was on jack, i gusse once i put the car down the bar pulls the front lower control arms , this caused the problem, but still i think it was this changed the alxes ' angle. anyway, thanks for you guys' help.

got to give it to me. the man said it himself. lol. point was in one of his posts he said something about when he would press in the clutch or put the car in neutral the noise went away. hence the drivetrain part.

Quick Reply: something rubs and drags my car slow after i lowered it