Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DEPO fog lights killed my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEPO fog lights killed my car!!

Well sorta. I cant start my car now, it doesnt even click over, the electrical stuff still works like the headlights, radio, air etc. But the engine WILL NOT start. I had to push start the car and it fired up just fine to get it home, so it's not the engine. The only thing I have done was last night I installed some depo fog lights. I was unclear on the instructions online and I hooked it up the way it seemed it needed to be, what did I do wrong? And what can be the problem, why wont the car start? I have tried jump starting it but nothing, so the battery is good.

Last edited by farkiller; 08-28-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: DEPO fog lights killed my car!!

I just put brand new OEM spark plugs and spark plug cables on about two weeks ago, I dont think that has anything to do with it though, just thought id mention it.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 PM

CHECK THE STARTER FUSE AND THE WIRES THAT GO TO THE STARTER.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by O2DAB05
CHECK THE STARTER FUSE AND THE WIRES THAT GO TO THE STARTER.
What am I looking for on the fuse? Will I know it's bad by looking at it? Also what am I looking for on the cables? Just to see if they are plugged in properly?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So did I have everything connected properly?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 PM

on the fuse panel. I see you used open spots one and two. I believe #1 is constant 12v and #2 is switched. So just make sure your not draining the battery because your lights will work even if the battery doesnt have enough juice to turn over the starter. My battery went dead(almost) it had 7v left and all my dash light would work and headlight but just a click when trying to start. It sounds like something may be draining the battery
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by slow96lude
on the fuse panel. I see you used open spots one and two. I believe #1 is constant 12v and #2 is switched. So just make sure your not draining the battery because your lights will work even if the battery doesnt have enough juice to turn over the starter. My battery went dead(almost) it had 7v left and all my dash light would work and headlight but just a click when trying to start. It sounds like something may be draining the battery
I even tried jump starting it though, if the battery is dead it would have started with a jump. And the fog lights went off with the car, They werent on once the car was off.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

farkiller, it doesnt make sense if you install your own fog light kit but you dont know how to determine a blown fuse

it may be goodto learn some basic things before or WHILE your tinkering around your car
Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time have a shop do the wiring for you..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Linked
farkiller, it doesnt make sense if you install your own fog light kit but you dont know how to determine a blown fuse

it may be goodto learn some basic things before or WHILE your tinkering around your car
I asked for help on here last night and didnt really get any, just links to this, which doesnt seem right, because mine are depo and this DIY is for OEM fogs.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=61880
Old 08-28-2009, 07:34 PM

ok, understood. have you checked that starter for loose wire, corroded wires. My little 1/4 spade plug that goes to the starter for the signal also comes loose when I dont want it to. And sometime it just gets a little corroded/rusty from the salt in the air and gives me problems. Have you checked the main relay?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by slow96lude
ok, understood. have you checked that starter for loose wire, corroded wires. My little 1/4 spade plug that goes to the starter for the signal also comes loose when I dont want it to. And sometime it just gets a little corroded/rusty from the salt in the air and gives me problems. Have you checked the main relay?
Honestly I have no idea how to chek all this, im just going to have to take it to a mechanic. I was just curious if I had everything connected properly.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked

+1
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I can take a picture of the starter fuse if you like? I dont know how to tell if its bad.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Could it have anything to do with my alarm? The guy I bought the car from installed it, and if I open the door with the key and not the remote the alarm will go off and make the car not start unless I put the key in the ignition and press this button 5 times. Also there is a fuel cut off switch, but it''s not on, and there is a little chip under the steering wheel area that if taken out makes the car not start, but the chip is in.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not trying to rub you the wrong way but at what point did you think you were capable of wiring the fog lights when you can't even check if a fuse is bad. However the fact that you are typing on this computer means you can handle the simple problem solving involved in diagnosing the problem. Just think about it like anything else... in a systematic fashion. Here are some pics you should be able to tell good from bad if there is a break it is bad...When you turn the key do you hear a click?
Attached Images   

Last edited by joelmatt89; 08-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

There is no click when I turn the key.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by farkiller
Could it have anything to do with my alarm? The guy I bought the car from installed it, and if I open the door with the key and not the remote the alarm will go off and make the car not start unless I put the key in the ignition and press this button 5 times. Also there is a fuel cut off switch, but it''s not on, and there is a little chip under the steering wheel area that if taken out makes the car not start, but the chip is in.
check the wires coming from where the key is, if it is dei and has the ignition kill hooked up there will be two wires one green and one green white if one of those is not connected to the ignition wire it won't start. If you don't hear any clicks it either the fuse or a wire before the relay
Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

OK guys I got it working. I pulled a few blue fuses out and looked at them and put them back. Also on that little chip that when taken out makes the car not start it has a little button on it, so while the chip was inserted I pressed the button then it fired up.

NOW.

Can someone PLEASE tell me exactly how to hook up these god awful depo fog lights properly? I do not want to blow a fuse or something in the future.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just read this. On a forum.

"i have an ebay kit and the genuine honda kit..

i never installed the ebay one but i had a look at it today... a started tracing the wires and within a few minutes, it started making perfect sense...LOL...the confusing parts were two unused connectors on the sub-harness(mine was a 3 harness kit). turned out that the two connectors were both electrically connected together and aren't even used for anything.

if i have time, i'll wire it up on a workbench showing how to connect up the harness..."

So all I connect is the one one pin connector and leave the other two two pin ones that I had to the fus box not connected?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

This is going straight to GDD.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Eran
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

This is going straight to GDD.
huh? If it was brought there people would say to post it here.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you guys help me I promise to leave HT for a week! And not make threads.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he's saying to mock you because you didn't know how to tell if a fuse is bad, seriously though bro you could have just googled "blown fuse". I really don't know where to start with the fog light that might be too big a task
Old 08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
he's saying to mock you because you didn't know how to tell if a fuse is bad, seriously though bro you could have just googled "blown fuse". I really don't know where to start with the fog light that might be too big a task
Dang im sure someone on here has installed depo fog lights before.

Quick Reply: DEPO fog lights killed my car!!