Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Presidential Detailed: Frshly painted EG, almost ruined by a hackjob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Presidential Detailed: Frshly painted EG, almost ruined by a hackjob.

This customer came to me after having his civic freshly painted black, everything was done the right way, the car was completely stripped of everything including glass and seals so that no area was missed. He was then referred by his painter to a "detailer" in the same complex to perform a wetsand/buff on the car. Well, unfortunately he got a hold of the biggest hack I have ever come across. There were severe holograms, swirls, sanding marks that hadnt been completely removed and worse of all he burnt through most of the edges on a fresh paint job!!!

He was well aware that he was getting a service that wasnt up to par once he got the car back and pulled the car into the sun only to find the car looking like a 20 year old car again. He pointed out everything to the guy and he declined any wrong doing, telling him that the swirls are normal for a fresh painted car and they will go away after a month. So he waited a month only to find they are worse and called me up to perform a 50/50 on the hood to show this guy what he was doing was completely wrong. I was able to get the hood looking like it should again and the guy claimed there was no different and trust me it was VERY different! haha! Long story short, the guy didnt even have a legitimate business and I ended up taking on the entire job. I had my work cut out for me!

Are you ready for a nightmare? Keep in mind this cars paint is barely even a month old.

The Hood.

Roof.

Rear Bumper

The painter for some reason shot extra clear but taped off the inner portions, it looked horrible and your eye is drawn straight to the tape line. I later sanded these portions level to reduce the eye sore.

This is a close up of the roof, if you look deeper into the paint past the circular swirls, you will see straight line scratches. These are sanding scratches that the previous guy failed to remove creating a horrible haze on the entire car.

Here is where the real nightmare begins,

Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Default Re: Presidential Detailed: Frshly painted EG, almost ruined by a hackjob.

Before starting the long buffing process I knew was going to be required on this car, we took out the lights, moldings and anything that was easily removable to make my job a little easier and to get a full correction all the way up to the edges.

Side Moldings and Skirts Removed.

The flourescents really brought out the worse of the sanding scratches, bringing them to focus.

The 50/50 from a few weeks prior that the hackjob declined seeing a difference between what he did and what I did. He must be nuts.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Default Re: Presidential Detailed: Frshly painted EG, almost ruined by a hackjob.

A quick walk around the car with halogens really lets you see how bad this thing looked in person. Once again, remember this is a BRAND NEW paint job!!

A close up of the sanding scratches that werent fully removed.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Knowing that I am going to have to cut into this thing pretty hard to get the sanding marks out I pulled out my Meguiars Red Wool Pad and began to prime it using the KBRM for fast hard cutting results. This combination is VERY aggressive and wouldnt recommend it to anyone without proper experience with a rotary.

Part of this method is applying M105 to the pad.

To my surprise, this method even being as aggressive as it was, totally blew away the finish left by the previous guy. I could only imagine he used rocks and a broom to polish this thing! haha! This is only the first step for me, still gets better!

Here is the passenger door panel untouched..

Here is the passenger fender after cutting with M105 and polishing with M205.

Passenger Door before.

After M105.

After M205 with camera flash.

rear 1/4.

After M105

After M205.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Driver Rear 1/4.

After M105.

here you find the difference between my very aggressive cutting stage on the rear 1/4 next to whatever the heck this guy did.

Driver Door After M105.

Driver Fender Before.

After M105.

No more swirls, just LOTS of dust!

Finally starting to see some depth in the paint again!

Here is the full hood completed.

Then moved onto the rear hatch/bumper area with a 50/50.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Detailing Mastermind

And finally, the results youve been waiting for! These were the best sun shots I could get.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM

niccee work!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa. you do unbelievable work. keep it up man
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that is clearly amazing, question though?? how do you go about keeping the paint looking so nice after that??
Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That is some amazing ****! Really did a fantastic job from what I'm seeing here!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Detailing Mastermind

Originally Posted by Jdmsoles
wow that is clearly amazing, question though?? how do you go about keeping the paint looking so nice after that??
You just have to learn the proper was to hand wash a car and always use high quality mitts and MF towels. Do a search on the "two-bucket method".
Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

holy **** man i want you to do my S2k!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was the owner of this car I'd be very inclined to want to you after you got finished. Looks really good, you are truly a master at this stuff.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Presidential_Detail
You just have to learn the proper was to hand wash a car and always use high quality mitts and MF towels. Do a search on the "two-bucket method".
FTW!!! Thats the only way I wash any car... The water in the first bucket gets so dirty, I have no idea how people wash their car with it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU ARE THE MAN!! I love seeing your threads and the sick work you can do.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that guy he took it to sucks! thank god he took it to you
Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Ra-ta-ta-tat dat GDD

Very nice, great job!
I want to know what the first "detailer" thinks now haha.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Detailing Mastermind

Im sure the owner is scared to bring his car even close to that guy again!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow!! Great job man. You probably punk'd the other "detailer". lol
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good job bill!....i have a car i will be calling about real soon!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Detailing Mastermind

Originally Posted by boca
good job bill!....i have a car i will be calling about real soon!
Oh boy, what do you have NOW?? You go through cars like I do buffind pads! hahaha!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

beautiful work! what did you end up doing for the spots that where the previous guy burned through the paint?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Presidential_Detail
Oh boy, what do you have NOW?? You go through cars like I do buffind pads! hahaha!

lol....i have the same cars for the last year and a half, eg hatch and accord...

but i need you do my gf vw cause we are gettin ready to sell it....and if it is clean and pretty i will get my askin price...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn... You're good... Real good!

Quick Reply: Presidential Detailed: Frshly painted EG, almost ruined by a hackjob.