for 30k i'll buy a beamer or something.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: " 2009 Honda Civic Type R " in United States

Originally Posted by EvenStar
There are no mugen type r?
No, there is however a Mugen RR:

Ohh, and can't forget the Mugen RR Advance, Mugen's next monster Civic.

Honda is selling about as many Si as they expected, most Americans still have the "It's just a Honda" mentality. Then they see things like the Cobalt SS and think the cars are in the same class, or that the Cobalt will be worth more than 6-8 grand in 5 years. (Not hating on the Cobalt SS, it's an amazing demonstration of a well built driveline but lets be serious, the only GM car worth anything after about 5 years is the Corvette and a few random cars here and there)

You also have to realize that Honda is the best selling automaker in the world that doesn't do fleet sales. Companies can't order 200 Honda Civics in lower than base trim like you can with Toyotas and many other automakers. I lean to the idea that Honda is doing great, better than most.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ricey McRicerton
I'd be willing to bet your boyfriend got fed this information by somebody who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.

No, it's not coming. Never has been, never will be IMO.
i agree 100%; i will be amazed if ANY type r model ever comes to the u.s. again. from what i've heard/read, honda lost money on every itr that was sold here, and i'm sure they won't do that again. the rumors of a ctr coming to the u.s. have been circulating for the past 10+ years, and we've yet to see anything. the civic is seen as an economy car here, nothing else.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The closest Honda ever came to bringing a CTR to US soil was the EP3 and even then it was the Euro CTR.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Southern Calif. and own an Si and rarely see other Si's. I use mine as a daily driver and put around 23,000 miles a year. There really arent that many out here.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by robfrmny21
they sold every mugen civic made they were just a limited amount made and they moved them quick. people were putting down payments on the car 4-6 months b4 delivery.

the pricing was crazy imop but it was ment for the person who would buy all the mugen **** for their car
lol it took over a year for the dealership i bought my si from to sell their mugen si..that's not 'quick' to me..
Old 08-16-2009, 05:27 PM
K5^
Brand New

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kartman5
I live in Southern Calif. and own an Si and rarely see other Si's. I use mine as a daily driver and put around 23,000 miles a year. There really arent that many out here.
Back at uci I'd see 3-4 Si's in any given parking structure.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 07SIcpe
lol it took over a year for the dealership i bought my si from to sell their mugen si..that's not 'quick' to me..
when i was at the honda dealership about a month back they STILL had a mugen on their lot.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kartman5
Depends on what part of SoCal. I bet you see more M3s than SIs.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see si's all over the place in san diego :X
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sayyoooon
I see si's all over the place in san diego :X
as a SD native i cosign to that.
hell, there's 2 SIs on my street, which is btw lower middle/middle class.
both the owners seem to be in their early 50s..
Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rjHella
as a SD native i cosign to that.
hell, there's 2 SIs on my street, which is btw lower middle/middle class.
both the owners seem to be in their early 50s..
Yeah, to be honest, i'm more surprised the newer civic ISN'T an si rather than it being one.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Road House

Originally Posted by sayyoooon
Yeah, to be honest, i'm more surprised the newer civic ISN'T an si rather than it being one.
???
Maybe I'm just up too late...but I cannot figure out what you're saying.

What does that mean?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
???
Maybe I'm just up too late...but I cannot figure out what you're saying.

What does that mean?
Meaning when I see one of the newer civics, it's more of a surprise that it isn't an si than it actually is being one. How common they are around San diego :/.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see Si all the time here in Sacramento.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mugen Si rims.... LOL
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/1330430500.html
Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 AM

seems like it would be best served to get rid of the Si and have just the base civic and a type-r. honda parts are cheap enough anyone getting a base model could easily get the Si power out of it, and the die-hards would have a real type-r to buy..
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda could have an SiR fairly easy by equipping the Si with all the HFP components and bumping HP by 10.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by robfrmny21
they sold every mugen civic made they were just a limited amount made and they moved them quick. people were putting down payments on the car 4-6 months b4 delivery.

the pricing was crazy imop but it was ment for the person who would buy all the mugen **** for their car
really? sure about that? there were 1000 made. at one time, in 2007, we had 3 on our lot at my work which is a honda dealership. we dealer traded 2 and it took them 6 months to sell them. then, it took us til the end of 2008 to sell ours. people were not very interested in those cars. out of the 1000, 200 people might have put down payments in advance but no not everyone did.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM

IMO, Honda simply isn't trying hard enough.

They never advertised the Si, and look how many you see per day. (I see probably 3 a day, and can only imagine what it must be like in SoCal, and other places where people actually care about cars)

Had they advertised it, we'd see a lot more of them. How many people in a random group of 20 could point out an Accord, and how many could point out an Si?

I'd say it is probably a 5 to 1 ratio. You could claim that the Accord, "appeals to the mainstream market", but in my opinion that is only so, because it had been advertised, and hence became mainstream.

People are reluctant to spend $30k on a car they know nothing about.

If Honda advertised the CTR as being for sale in the U.S. in the near future, I feel that there would be a tremendous response. However, without advertising there is no point.
I don't think that would make a huge difference, people don't want to spend 30k on a civic. The civic is the car you see that is "priced at 15,999 with 0% APR!!!", its in the same category as the corolla and mazda 3. People will spend the money on an accord because it is higher in the food chain than the civic, it pairs up with the mazda 6 and camry.

The Si appeals to a unique market and I would be surprised if Honda really does sell them left right and center (from my perspective in the North). I see a regular civic in every parking lot up here, but where I live, I have only seen a red, white and black (1 of each!) Si. No blues and I am the only ROP I have seen period.

The Type-R would fail in our market. For 30k USD, I am over at Acura.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TEGGSRB18C1
There was a guy in my area that daily drove one, I passed it everyday going to work. For a while I thought mabey it was a fake or whatever because it got washed once a month if that.

But I stopped and looked at it one day, it was real. During the winter months it would be covered in road salt and all the bullshit on the roads during winter. What a waste.
LOL why is that a waste? In the end its still a 4-door sedan and not a rare collectors item, you can tell that by all the quotes of "it took them x months to get rid of it!" or "theres still one in the dealership that i go to!".

Its just a decorated Honda Civic, not a Ferrari.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It may not be a collectors car now but whether you want to face it or not it is a rare car and in 25 to 30 years now It will be a collectors car. I just don't see how you can say it isn't rare with you admitting it was limited to 1000 production units. Because it didn't sell well doesn't mean it isn't rare.

If I had the means to buy one it would be sitting on jack stands in my garage. But I don't have that kind of money to park a car.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kidnkorner
It may not be a collectors car now but whether you want to face it or not it is a rare car and in 25 to 30 years now It will be a collectors car. I just don't see how you can say it isn't rare with you admitting it was limited to 1000 production units. Because it didn't sell well doesn't mean it isn't rare.

If I had the means to buy one it would be sitting on jack stands in my garage. But I don't have that kind of money to park a car.
You are right, it was a mistake of me to use the word rare. It is rare and had a low production number. But I still stand by the fact that I just do not believe it to be a collectors car, and that can be proven by looking at how it was saught after when it was released. In 25 years, no one is going to give a crap about an 08Si with a different body kit and wing, just like no one gave a crap when it was released in 2008.

Now if Honda redesigned the look completely (like the Type R), threw in some FI and made it a car that can compete with the Evo's/STI's, yes i'd say its something special. But its not. Its a glorified Honda Civic Si Sedan.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Road House

Originally Posted by Si87
I don't think that would make a huge difference, people don't want to spend 30k on a civic. The civic is the car you see that is "priced at 15,999 with 0% APR!!!", its in the same category as the corolla and mazda 3. People will spend the money on an accord because it is higher in the food chain than the civic, it pairs up with the mazda 6 and camry.

The Si appeals to a unique market and I would be surprised if Honda really does sell them left right and center (from my perspective in the North). I see a regular civic in every parking lot up here, but where I live, I have only seen a red, white and black (1 of each!) Si. No blues and I am the only ROP I have seen period.

The Type-R would fail in our market. For 30k USD, I am over at Acura.
Where are you exactly?

I probably see a 3:1 ratio of Civics to SIs, but then again, I probably see at least 21 Civics a day, so...

I probably see less Civic Hybrids than SIs, come to think of it.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Where are you exactly?

I probably see a 3:1 ratio of Civics to SIs, but then again, I probably see at least 21 Civics a day, so...

I probably see less Civic Hybrids than SIs, come to think of it.
Ontario, a few hours east of Toronto (Kingston area).

Quick Reply: " 2009 Honda Civic Type R " in United States