Notices

DOHC ZC rebuilding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DOHC ZC rebuilding.

I am picking up a disassembled DOHC ZC for free in a couple of days... I need help with something though.
He says that the crank may have to be turned (I don't understand that...)
I will be assembling the whole thing myself, so if anyone knows of a ZC rebuilding guide, that would be great.
Also, a comprehensive parts list would be great. He says MOST of the parts are there, but I need a check-list for all the essential parts. Is there any honda motor I can source parts from?

The engine will be going into my CRX Si, 1988. I am going to be using the Si transmission... I am almost 100% sure I can use it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DOHC ZC rebuilding.

maybe by turned he meant polished and balanced. before you go blowing money take it all to a machine shop and have it all looked at to even see if its still good. in my opinion its gona be a waste of money to rebuild a zc you could find a low millage one for cheaper.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes have everything checked first! But DO NOT HAVE THE CRANK GROUND. balanced and polished is ok.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by black0hatch
maybe by turned he meant polished and balanced. before you go blowing money take it all to a machine shop and have it all looked at to even see if its still good. in my opinion its gona be a waste of money to rebuild a zc you could find a low millage one for cheaper.
a low mileage one around here goes for $1000.
I get this one for free, rebuild it, and it will be brand new. For cheaper. Hopefully.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HEY MAN I would not get this motor and while I understand you are excited I would say it is not worth it to rebuild it. I would just get a D16z6 and play with that over a dohc zc. I had a dohc Zc for like 5 years and the day I stuck my d16z6 in my car I was soo much happier lol.

It isn't worth your time to rebuild this one....just look up the price of head gasket and bearing set etc and you can start off with a good running sohc.

I send you this info with a so u save some money.

Get the tranny though thats worth it!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89civicdx
HEY MAN I would not get this motor and while I understand you are excited I would say it is not worth it to rebuild it. I would just get a D16z6 and play with that over a dohc zc. I had a dohc Zc for like 5 years and the day I stuck my d16z6 in my car I was soo much happier lol.

It isn't worth your time to rebuild this one....just look up the price of head gasket and bearing set etc and you can start off with a good running sohc.

I send you this info with a so u save some money.

Get the tranny though thats worth it!

Thanks. I might just do that.
I am still going to pick up the ZC, and see what it may need. I sent him an email, and this is what he said...

"It was seized. That's why I say the crank would prob need to be turned or replaced with one from a similar year of D16"
The crank from the CRX Si isn't the same... is it? If yes, then I have a winner.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't bother with turning the crank.

yes you can use the d16a6 crank. almost any d16 crank will work i believe actually

this site will be a big help with the rebuild

http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...arts-list.html

ninja edit: just go ahead and use the info the guy below me posted. i feel he was a bit more thorough lol.

Last edited by D16SiHatch; 08-05-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_EF
The crank from the CRX Si isn't the same... is it? If yes, then I have a winner.
the D16A6 crankshafts will work in the DOHC ZC, however, the 88-91 CRX/Civic Si had 2 different crankshafts, as did the 88-91 DOHC ZC - 88s and some 89s had a crankshaft with a 22mm diameter front snout, where the pulley goes on - most 89s and 90-91s had a crankshaft with a 24mm diameter front snout - you need a D16 crankshaft that matches the one in the ZC - this is because the timing belt gear on the crankshaft also has to fit the front snout - the gear on the DOHC ZC is ZC only with 17 teeth - no other D-series has a gear with 17 teeth - if the ZC crank gear is 22mm, you need a 22mm crank and if it is 24mm, you need a 24mm crank - all 92-95 D16Z6 cranks will also work if the ZC crank gear is 24mm - 86-89 Integra D16A1 cranks will also work, however most of them are 22mm - some are 24mm
Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Turning a crankshaft = When a crankshaft is scored or tapered beyond limits, or .001" interval bearings no longer work for proper oil clearances, the crankshaft needs to have the journals ground down. Sometimes the mains need ground, sometimes the rod journals, or sometimes both. When they grind it down (turn it, ect.) they make the journal smaller to get rid of the tapers, scores, chips, or ect. damage, and an oversized bearing will have to be used to get the proper oil clearances. This is common practice and knowledge, and for the most part it is not bad and it is all factored into factory clearancing. There is, as with everything, a point of no return and sometimes crankshafts get turned multiple times or have deep grooves; if this is the case then a new crankshaft would have to be gotten.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in many cases turning a crank is just fine, however it is not recommended for honda crankshafts. the most you should do is balance and micropolish it. if it requires more work than that throw it away and just get a new/used crank. the issue is once you grind the crank down you remove the hardened nitride coating. my friend had his dohc crank ground, installed oversized bearings, and within 700 miles after it was put back together it started to knock. the oil pan, oil pickup, and oil filter were full of metal fragments. rod journals were fine, seeing as how they were not ground. main bearing journal surfaces were all tore up.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mods, please lock this.
I decided on a z6.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a zc... with eagle rods.. ycp low compression pistons... arp head studs... stage 2 clutch , bisimoto cams ....i love the zc dohc ...

if its free id take it... cheep and easily re built... .plus think you rebuild it and you know whats been done not what someone says they did or didnt do the right way
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by notanoob
i have a zc... with eagle rods.. ycp low compression pistons... arp head studs... stage 2 clutch , bisimoto cams ....i love the zc dohc ...

if its free id take it... cheep and easily re built... .plus think you rebuild it and you know whats been done not what someone says they did or didnt do the right way
i am getting a Z6 for $50, with the ECU as well. total swap is only going to cost me $100 total. Then i can save up for some new cams, turbo set-up, etc. this is more cost-effective, and I will have a spare if I blow my engine.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=D16SiHatch;39521167]in many cases turning a crank is just fine, however it is not recommended for honda crankshafts.
I have first hand experience with this. After i had it turned and got the oversized bearings it ran for ten miles on that crank. Chewd up everybearing inthe block Rod and Main alike.Then i put my old a6 crank in with honda yellows no prblem since. Aturned honda crank is worth as much as a paperweight or a boat anchor.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

J

Last edited by gRim06; 09-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.