Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brand new iat sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new iat sensor

i just bought a brand new intake air temperature sensor and my cel is still coming on. what could be causing this? how can i fix it
Old 08-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: brand new iat sensor

Is it still throwing code 10 or another code? If it is code 10, then unplug the IAT sensor and do the voltage tests here:

Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for that i think i solved my problem. here are some pics. the red/yellow and green/white wires are cut with no clip so im guessing this is for my sensor. i tested everything the diagram said and it works fine. what is this other clip for? can i cut this clipoff and put it on the red/yellow green/white wires or should i just go to the junkyard an clip a sensor off and do it that way

Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrisfromsrq
thanks for that i think i solved my problem. here are some pics. the red/yellow and green/white wires are cut with no clip so im guessing this is for my sensor. i tested everything the diagram said and it works fine. what is this other clip for? can i cut this clipoff and put it on the red/yellow green/white wires or should i just go to the junkyard an clip a sensor off and do it that way
Yep, if the IAT connector has been cut off, you'll throw an IAT code. You need to get an IAT connector and hook it up. I think the other connector may be for the TPS. The IAT and TPS share a common ground wire, which I believe is the green wire.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats not the tps sensor. i am running a b20b with a ls head and intake manifold. the 2 wires that are cut are my iat sensor wires but the clip has been cut off. the other wires red and yellow/black is what i had plugged into my iat sensor. what is this clip for?(red and yellow/black) i am going to the salvage yard tomarrow to pull a clip off a integra to re wire the sensor back up.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Purge Cut-Off Solenoid (EVAP system) and the #2 fuel injector plug has Red and YEl/BLK wires. I would guess the EVAP solenoid is disconnected.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Yep, if the IAT connector has been cut off, you'll throw an IAT code. You need to get an IAT connector and hook it up. I think the other connector may be for the TPS. The IAT and TPS share a common ground wire, which I believe is the green wire.
WHAT??? the tps sensor plug looks nothing like that.. its a 3 pin plug.. It may be the IACV sensor. The other one on the manifold
Old 08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if anything the tps and map sensors always get switched up and the IAB, IAT, and IACV usually gets switched up.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the purge or evap thing you are talking about nesasary? My ecu isnt throwing a code for it. only codes im getting is #10iat #7 tps and #41 which is for auto trans so im not worried about that
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the purge or evap thing you are talking about nesasary? My ecu isnt throwing a code for it. only codes im getting is #10iat #7 tps and #41 which is for auto trans so im not worried about that
What motor are you running? the tps plug is usually a 3 pin plug.. It has 3 wires coming out of it whether the plug is round or square shaped. Code #41 is primary o2 sensor.. You need to either replace that or check and see if you have it plugged in. I wouldnt worry about the evap purge solenoid. its for emission purposes only and doesnt affect performance
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
WHAT??? the tps sensor plug looks nothing like that.. its a 3 pin plug..
Haha...I was trying to match wire colors and I thought the third ground wire might be the cut green one. As I said subsequently, the unplugged connector is likely for the EVAP system, which is to reduce emissions. Having it disconnected won't affect engine performance.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Haha...I was trying to match wire colors and I thought the third ground wire might be the cut green one. As I said, subsequently, the connector is likely for the EVAP system, which is to reduce emissions. Having it disconnected won't affect engine performance.
you know.. I think that the red and yellow wire one (the one with the plug) is the actual IAT sensor, whereas the cut off green and red one is actually for the iacv.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know.. I think that the red and yellow wire one (the one with the plug) is the actual IAT sensor, whereas the cut off green and red one is actually for the iacv.
2P IAT = Red/Yel and Grn/Wht

2P IACV = Yel/Blk and Grn/Wht

2P Purge Solenoid = Yel/Blk and Red

3P TPS = Yel/Wht, Red/Blu, and Grn/Wht
Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what car is this guy running again?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

94 Civic
Old 08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only codes im getting is #10iat #7 tps and #41 which is for auto trans so im not worried about that
if anything the tps and map sensors always get switched up...

As mentioned, make sure the TPS and MAP sensor connectors are not swapped. Also check the TPS and O2 sensor wiring.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its weird I mean, he has 2 wires cut off with no plugs but the thing is that 1 wire is red/yellow which could be for the IAT, and the other is green/white which is for the IACV according to this: http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring...schematics.gif. The only thing that is missing from those wires are grounds.

Questions: where did you get this engine harness from? is it the original engine harness off of the 94 civic?

I would actually go underneath my seat and check Connector D off of the ecu for #15 of the link I posted up. Then tell us the actual wire colors for #15 Connector D for the IAT
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i ment code 19 for the auto trans thing. i fixed my o2 sensor. at for my iacv i belive it is hooked up right becuase when i pull the plug off of the iacv my idle drops to about 400 or around that low almost to a stall. i have a jdm b20b that came with the car when i bought it so i dont no how to tell what harness it is. i knw the jumper inside the car to check the cell is blue which is the same colors as the ones from an ek according to the cel thread at the top. what im thinking is who ever swapped the engine prob thought the evap plug which is the one i have is for the iat sensor n they cut off the other one. i am going to the junkyard today and im going to clip a plug off of a acura and rewire the red/yellow and green/white wires. because acording to that diagram that RonJ@HT posted everything worked. i took a volt meter to the red yellow wire and ground and there was 5volts then i tested the red/yellow and the green/white wire and there was 5 volts. i will get back to you guys to let you know how it goes and thanks for all the info
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks to all of you guys i fixed the problem. now does anyone have a diagram to the tps sensor so i can test that? thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks to all of you guys i fixed the problem. now does anyone have a diagram to the tps sensor so i can test that? thanks in advance
do you know where the tps sensor is located at? its going to be a big fat round plug. Much bigger than the IAT sensor plug. And it has 3 wires coming out of it.. Usually its located on the throttle body behind it.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i no where it is i was just wondering how to test it to see if its the sensor or the wireing. i just ordered a new blox one off of ebay
Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Testing the TPS sensor:

Turn the key to ON(II). Set your digital multimeter to measure voltage. At the rear of the TPS connector, break through the insulation of Red/Blu wire with the + probe and the Grn/Wht wire with the - probe. At fully closed throttle, you should measure about 0.5V and, at WOT, you should measure about 4.5V.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot RonJ@HT you are the man