Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Oil Change Blows GS-R??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Oil Change Blows GS-R??

So, about two days ago i decided to change my car's oil, since it was about three and a half months since I had last changed it. I jack it up, drain the oil, change the filter, blah blah, Royal Purple goes in. this is the oil I have been using since I bought the car. (previous owner used it, too) I put in 10w30, and when I go for a drive, pressing the throttle I hear a little ticking noise while in first gear, second gear, as it fades away when my exhaust gets louder. It bothers me alot, just wondering what it is. It happened before I did the oil change, but it was more rapid ticking, now it is slower and louder, sounds like something is hitting on something else, but it cant be heard when the motor is idling, only when I press the gas, So yeah... Help.

btw its an 01 gsr with about 80k miles
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Change Blows GS-R??

Ummm... did you seriously post this thread before actually checking if there was oil in the motor?

It's possible you double-gasketed the filter. I did this twice.. The o-ring was stuck on the block from the old filter and you put the new filter on. On the first crank all the oil was on the floor in the first 5 seconds.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 AM

"Oil Change Blows GS-R"--What kind of title is that? Your engine isn't blown, you probably just need a valve adjustment.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or not. i spun a bearing since the place that changed my oil ****ed up and cracked the gasket on my oil filter. it can happen and it probably did to you also. time for a rebuild! that is what i am doing now.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_PRODUCTION
or not. i spun a bearing since the place that changed my oil ****ed up and cracked the gasket on my oil filter. it can happen and it probably did to you also. time for a rebuild! that is what i am doing now.
Yeah because a ticking sound that was present prior to the oil change and still after automatically means an 80k mile motor needs rebuilt. If that was the case then about 90% of hondas would need a rebuild.

Check the oil level and for leaks. If everything looks OK see if the ticking increases with RPM's. It's pretty easy to distinguish a ticking sound that's coming from the block vs. the head.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gritsak
Yeah because a ticking sound that was present prior to the oil change and still after automatically means an 80k mile motor needs rebuilt. If that was the case then about 90% of hondas would need a rebuild.

Check the oil level and for leaks. If everything looks OK see if the ticking increases with RPM's. It's pretty easy to distinguish a ticking sound that's coming from the block vs. the head.
are you serious? if what he says is the case then the ticking getting incresingly louder over a small period of time IS NOT valve lash. the lash does not get out of whack in that short of a period of time. use your head buddy. im not saying either one of us is right or wrong but using your brain you can come to the conclusion if you had the mechanical experience. and its not always easy to tell where the ticking is coming from. thats why they make stethescopes for motors.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 AM

X3 symptom of Spun Bearing, you will hear ticking scraping nose slowly as day go by it get louder and louder then a spike on open throttle car die. That what happen to me me when I spun my bearing
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM

are you serious? if what he says is the case then the ticking getting incresingly louder over a small period of time IS NOT valve lash. the lash does not get out of whack in that short of a period of time. use your head buddy. im not saying either one of us is right or wrong but using your brain you can come to the conclusion if you had the mechanical experience. and its not always easy to tell where the ticking is coming from. thats why they make stethescopes for motors.
My mechanical experience? you spun a bearing after letting some two bit shop change your oil. Nuff said. The sound could have changed because there's brand new oil in the motor. The OP hasn't given the type of detailed information needed to make a conclusive diagnosis.

Regardless, check the oil level and for leaks. If you don't know what you're doing, take the car somewhere reputable to get it looked at.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 AM

BTW when you change your oil did you see any metal shaving in oil?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gritsak
My mechanical experience? you spun a bearing after letting some two bit shop change your oil. Nuff said. The sound could have changed because there's brand new oil in the motor. The OP hasn't given the type of detailed information needed to make a conclusive diagnosis.

Regardless, check the oil level and for leaks. If you don't know what you're doing, take the car somewhere reputable to get it looked at.

what was that ball sack? lol dont get mad. you dont even know what happened or the situation so stop acting like you know. ****ing retard make yourself look like a dumbass. how embarrasing...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Just from a third party perspective.. VTEC PRODUCTION sounds like an angry teenager. Get a grip bro, know one here could possibly know from a few paragraphs if this guy has ruined his engine... not me, not you. Lets get some more information before we start drawing serious conclusions that require a lot of money and effort. And you honestly should not need a stethoscope to tell hear the difference in a head TICKING and the block KNOCKING. Generally heads don't knock and blocks don't tick, unless its spark knock.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 95DC2GS-R
Ummm... did you seriously post this thread before actually checking if there was oil in the motor?

It's possible you double-gasketed the filter. I did this twice.. The o-ring was stuck on the block from the old filter and you put the new filter on. On the first crank all the oil was on the floor in the first 5 seconds.
wtf?
huh? no dude, if I "double-gasketed" the filter that **** would squirt all over the motor and floor right when I started the motor, happened to a couple of people I know...

problem solved though,
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what was it?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol dude, really?
your going to criticize someone else's mechanical ability when your that jack *** that;
1. let some one else change your oil
2. didnt notice oil leaking from your car
3. assumes you know what this guys problem is from one paragraph

just stop man

im willing to bet it was valve lash?
op what was it?