Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

PROJECT: 92 Honda Civic VX Build... till whenever I'm done.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROJECT: 92 Honda Civic VX Build... till whenever I'm done.

FINAL UPDATE
SOLD on March 4, 2012.

You will be missed my little VX! Farewell, you will never be forgotten.

Final pics before moving on to the new owner:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update June 27, 2011

I lied, my mr2 is going to be modded. As I type this, it's getting a gen3 3sgte swap. I'm frikken EXCITED! So this means that I'm back to using my civic for the next week till the swap is done.

Honestly, I'm quite attached to this hatchback. I have a new found respect for this little dinky honda. it's more than paid for itself! I love this car.

Before use, the poor VX needs work! Remember, that exhaust leak earlier? Well, it got worse (no surprise!). Also, my muffler rotted to shhiit. The car was so damn loud, it was quite draining to drive the thing. Also got a warning by PoPo to get it fixed. LOL. The car was quite a girlfriend killer too hahha. "blah blah blah.... WHAT? blah blah blah WHAT??" And breathing in exhaust fumes from the manifold leak the entire winter probably decreased my life expectancy by about 2.75 years haha. Anyways the much needed repairs here...

A comparison. The one on the car (right), was definitely tampered with. As you can see, it's got an entirely different cat. The douchebag that owned it before me also tried to weld what looks to be a bolt or something.

As you can see, check the bolt heads bolting the cat to the manifold. It's botch job welding to try to seal it. That was where my leak was coming from

Good condition used unit. Straight from KiLLa KaLiFoRniA! Man this was such a PITA to get! Had to beg everywhere to find this piece. How sad...

Another comparo

Got that biatch in there. It wasn't too bad. I don't dare touch anything exhaust related unless I have a sawza and an oxyaceltyn torch!!! So I took it to my buddy Andy's shop and he helped me put it in.

Andy putting in the "$500" o2 sensor.

Too bad I didn't get a picture of the rotted exhaust. That thing was a prize piece LOL. But Andy had a random civic exhaust sitting in his parts bin so he hooked it up. Awesome guy!

Here are some pictures of the car during winter duties. I absolute LOVE it when big as5 trucks and SUV's pull up beside/behind me at a light and see the "50+ MPG" sticker (got'em all around the car). It's like a big F-U to their face! Gas money saved is money spent elsewhere. Now, the VX is a vehicle i don't think i can ever let go of.

NEXT, my driver's side front upper ball joint is dead. I'm planning to fix that this coming weekend. And, I've been leaking oil since FOREVER lol. I've pinpointed it to mainly the oil-cooler O-ring and the valvecover gasket. So I will stop by Honda tomorrow and pickup what I need. Other than that, everything will be nice.

OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo yea, since the manifold fix. NO MORE HESITATION! Power is smoother now. And more importantly, it's quiet

Thanks for taking the time to view. I will update when I get to fixing the things I mentioned above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Fall 2010 sometime

Well it failed emissions testing. So I think it needed a tune up. I got some plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and a fuel filter. I installed it all except the fuel filter because i'm lazy and don't feel like being drenched in fuel.

Good news, it passed emissions.... BARELY! Right on the damn limit!!! I swear, another puff of exhaust smoke and it would've failed- costing me more money to fix (n). At this point, the emissions tester notified me that I had an exhaust manifold leak. It wasn't too bad at the time but a leak is a leak.

Box of goodies

Old vx New...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update June 25, 2010

Yes, decided to tackle the rear drums and shoes since I had some free time this evening. The old crap was rusted and corroded. It chaffed like crazy rubbing and scuffing all down the road LOL. Not good. This was also my first time doing drums with nobody assisting. I think I did pretty well. Big up to the guys that gave helpful hints and tips in my thread found here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/remove-replace-rear-drums-tips-2795701/

One word on doing drums/shoes... Aggravating! Piecing is back together is a tedious bitch. And the bitchest part award goes to putting the large top spring on. Damn was it ever annoying. Other than that, everything went pretty smooth. It took me approximately 30min a side for a first time drum/shoe replacement. Not bad I guess.

Anyways, on to the pics

Got the drums off via M8x1.25 bolts. What I did was screw them in bit by bit and also spinning the drum to work off the rusty outer edges (got that tip from the helpful guy that worked at the local PartsSource). Worked like a charm.

The insides of the drums were CAKED with dust! Just check out the dust print one of the drums left on my garage floor.

Yep, the goodies to go on. Cheap generic **** but made in Canada. We'll see how they hold up.

Crazy how you only need these three tools for doing shoes.

All the shoe hardware laid out.

Got them silly shoes on.

Then drum.

Not sure if I adjusted the shoes correctly. I only opened the adjuster like 3 threads. When I spun the entire assemble (with wheel on), it scuffs. It's as if there's a "high spot". I took it out to break-in the brakes. Everything seemed fine. The brakes will need to be bled though. But is the scuffing normal? I noticed that the old shoes were worn unevenly too.

Thanks for viewing and replying to my thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: June 20, 2010

Okay, this weekend was scheduled for a brake job. The brakes were fine when I bought the car but I let the car sit for about 1 year. Totally my fault! Corrosion won its part and ate my brakes.

Anyways, I only did the fronts this weekend.

Fcking hondas! Seriously, phillips screws to hold in the damn discs? why not atleast hex so those ******** won't strip!?

Seized the fck on there... broke two bits!

That ******* screw decided to strip anyways... busted out the drill

Always gotta have a cold one ready for times like this.

Passenger old rusted ****. Pads and rotors were scored to the bone. Lots of meat left but no good anymore.

Okay, brake parts I got are ebay ****. Honestly, I've never had problems whatsoever with ebay ****. I buy pretty much all my stuff off of ebay. Even for the MR2. Never have I once had any problems. So fck you namebrand ******.

However, one thing that did get me going "wtf" was the cheezy *** paint they put on the rotors. Seriously, I didn't even know. First, I was cleaning them with brake cleaner then the paint started to rub off. I was like WTF. So I just cleaned off all that cheezy *** paint with brake cleaner. Anyways, we'll see how they hold up. BTW, the ebay seller was kinda local to me so I got them for so cheap picked up.

Just some generic pads I got with the brake package.

Btw, this was my "stool" while doing the brakes

A must have when doing brakes. Borrowed from the local PartsSource.

I curse mutherfckers that don't use this stuff. Eff you!

Driver's side crap.

Final product.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: June 12, 2010

Check out the old rad LOL.

Got a good condition used one installed.

Here's the old alarm that was in the car (was taken out before I bought it). It's being discarded.

Fixed the broken passenger door switch (got another one from the junk yard)

Here's the fuel patch I did last weekend. So far, it's holding up great.

What was causing my fuel leak. This rotted out useless fitting

Currently as she sits...

My MR2 gets the boot out of the garage...

Evidence points to that my car was most likely used for a crazy sound system in the past. It's covered in Dynamat **** with extra sound deadening foam on top!!! Seriously, WTF. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. But all I know is that the grey **** the fckface laid throughout the entire shell is permanent. They even laid it over top the fuel pump access port. Stupid idiots were so dumb to cover it! UGHH! It took me forever to take off just what was over top of it.

But yea, they went apeshit sound proofing the car. And here I was looking to gut the car to make it even lighter for increased fuel savings. Guess not!

Even the door panels are covered in that ****

Over the goddamn rear struts LOL

I'm so past the point of mad that I'm laughing hysterically. Who in their ****ing minds would be this retarded!

Seriously, do you guys think it's a good thing or a bad thing that I've got all this sound deadning ****?

Thanks for taking the time to view and post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning: June 15, 2009

Hey guys/girls, I've always wanted to build a Honda and now my chance has come. I just picked up this 92 Civic VX and will slowly build it up over the course of a few years. I will be updating this thread everytime I do something to the car.

This is my first Honda so there's still a bunch of stuff for me to learn. But comparing this EG to what I'm used to working on (MR2's), it's night-and-day simpler!!! That's the main reason why I got the hatch, it's easier to work on and cheaper to make fast. The mr2 is going to strictly be my cruiser car. I don't want to mess with it because when **** breaks, it's a bitch to get parts for and it's more of a bitch to fix. Plus, it's more expensive to mod the mr2.

My goal for this EG is to turn it into a nice fun street/strip/circuit car. Something that can be daily driven too.

I'm leaning towards doing a stock GSR and bolting on a turbo kit (with supporting mods). From my reasearch, with a good tune, guys have been pushing that setup reliably anywhere from 300-400hp. So I guess 350hp is what I'll be shooting for. I'm sure that would make a stupidly fun car considering my VX weighs in at like 2100lbs +/-.

Well enough with the jibber... Here she is:

I gotta take care of the rust before this winter. As for overall condition for a Canadian EG, this one would be one of the better condition ones. Most already have their rear quarters rotted/rusted out.

All the best,

-hmong337

Last edited by hmong337; 03-10-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PROJECT: 92 Honda Civic VX Build... till whenever I'm done.

good choice, but man that engine bay is nasty haha
Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. it's gonna get a good cleaning tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the flaps!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 AM

or sell em to me =D
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow looking at that rust is amazing to me. Its so dry here in Phoenix Arizona I forgot what rust is lol...
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Saw that one for sale on Kijiji in London, ON. Good find. You talk him down from his $1200 asking price? So sad to see another VX being turned into another racing/tuner machine. The D15Z1 is such a special and rare engine - built for fuel economy that rivals or exceeds today's hybrids - though rarely appreciated on this board.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice project
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Saw that one for sale on Kijiji in London, ON. Good find. You talk him down from his $1200 asking price? So sad to see another VX being turned into another racing/tuner machine. The D15Z1 is such a special and rare engine - built for fuel economy that rivals or exceeds today's hybrids - though rarely appreciated on this board.
Wow, can't believe you actually pinpointed the car I bought LOL.

No, he wouldn't budge at all from the $1200 asking price! It's all good though. I do feel as though I paid a fair price for it. Both ends of the deal walked away happy. I'm mainly happy that's it's not too rusted. Just surface rust. Compared to the other EG's I went to look at prior to this one, I'm WAY ahead. Every one I looked at needed rear 1/4 panels and were asking anywhere between $1000-$1500. This was by far the cleanest one for the price. Also got an extra set of wheels and tires with it too.

One thing I over looked are the lines (clutch, brake, fuel, etc)... They're holding up but will need replacing. A lot of rust on them. Just hope they don't burst anytime soon. Also, the rad is missing about half its fins so that will need to be replaced.

However, my brother-in-law has a shell with everything I need in good condition and his going to give it to me for $200!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find! What are the km's on it? That rust is very mild compared to what I've seen, at least there seems to be good metal that you can build on to repair it rather than completely replace the whole 1/4.

That bay is diiiirty! Typical crappy winter residue I suppose.

You should look into selling the whole motor/tranny/ecu/mounts to someone else when you decide to do the swap, I'm sure there are a few people that would like a fuel saver like that.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with DeSchlong. The VTEC-E motor gets crazy MPG's.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Vancouver BC, and for a Canadian EG that is pretty bad, they're usually quite good with rust and whatnot. But props man, good luck on the build!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didn't there was any hmong people in canada...lol...how's the hmong population there?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flipkc
I live in Vancouver BC, and for a Canadian EG that is pretty bad, they're usually quite good with rust and whatnot. But props man, good luck on the build!
Well over here, they salt the roads like crazy! You'd be hard pressed to find an original body hatchback without any rust.

Originally Posted by hard_boiled_EG
i didn't there was any hmong people in canada...lol...how's the hmong population there?
yep, we're here alright. extremely tiny population though... on the eastcoast (where i'm from) maybe like 600-700 people. on the westcoast maybe like 200'ish. something like a total of 1000 or less for all of canada.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by p nut
I agree with DeSchlong. The VTEC-E motor gets crazy MPG's.
definitely!

it's pretty sweet how it also has a shift light indicating when you should shift up in order to get the best fuel mileage possible. really neat feature... too bad it's all gonna come out eventually LOL!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hmong337
Well over here, they salt the roads like crazy! You'd be hard pressed to find an original body hatchback without any rust.

yep, we're here alright. extremely tiny population though... on the eastcoast (where i'm from) maybe like 600-700 people. on the westcoast maybe like 200'ish. something like a total of 1000 or less for all of canada.
Gotta be more than 200 in the westcoast lol. I know like ~100 just in san diego!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ wrong country, he's talking about west coast of Canada
Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hushypushy
^ wrong country, he's talking about west coast of Canada
Old 06-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice hatch, I had a DX with VX wheels before. Due to unfortunate circumstances I had to sell it. But I still have another Honda that I take care of.

Anyway, those VX wheels are pretty sweet to look at.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nicee
Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Glad to hear you're keeping the VTEC-E now!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Change of plans... I can't fathom to destroy a car that get's 50mpg. So it's staying stock and I will enjoy all the gas savings
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmong337
Change of plans... I can't fathom to destroy a car that get's 50mpg. So it's staying stock and I will enjoy all the gas savings
Don't blame ya.

Still have plans to fix her up though?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice eg bro are you gunna keep the hx's
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where is all the oil coming from? I thought my 37-40mpg on my stock y7 was good, damn I am nowhere near 50.

Quick Reply: PROJECT: 92 Honda Civic VX Build... till whenever I'm done.