Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

My 88 std hatch

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Second Chance - 88 Hatch

The History: The featured car is an 88 civic hatch made in japan. not sure what all came factory... but i do know that it has a d15b1, was dpfi, came factory w ac, has a 4spd manual transmission and black interior.

fast forward almost 20 years to when i got it..
It was my buddies first car that was HIS car. when i got it it was not running. he had started a mpfi swap, and one reason or another the wiring got all messed up. along w alot of other wiring woes too. I towed it over to my place on feb. 24th, 2009, and instantly started tearing into it. i traded a 90 crx w front end damage, plus something else for the hatch (turns out i'm getting the crx the rest of it's front end in exchange for the title, no biggie).

Ok here's the parts list of what was on it when i got it.(working from back to front)
  • red center civic garnish from a dx,
  • OEM si-r cat back
  • flat green paint job from hatch to doors, then gun metal paint job up front w a gunmetal rear bumper
  • current tags
  • full black interior
  • black cargo cover
  • dc black cloth rear seats backs and bottom
  • rear battery relocation to the trunk using a volvo's oem 4g wirng (works good)
  • newer drums, shoes, etc that need to be adjusted but are in good shape (were replaced within the last year)
  • rear jensen speakers screwed into the cargo cover brackets
  • roadmaster amp powering the rear speakers
  • grey center consil
  • no front seats
  • an ebay 320mm steering wheel
  • a torn up drivers door card, and no passenger
  • POS boss 2 ways, one was kind of water damaged...
  • 88-89 si cluster w 149k on it (i think the car has about 230k on the chassis)
  • black/white checkard board headliner (kind of cool, but i'ma re do it w better glue so it doesn't sag)
  • all the dash pieces
  • an older pioneer cd player w front and rear pre amps
  • a big mess of zip ties, wires and other misc. junk all over the floor
  • grayish black carpet
  • a floor mat for the rear
  • no horn, and the bumper lights were disconnected, and the side lights were re done so both bulbs blink instead of just one
  • under the hood was a freshly torn down and put back together d15b1 w a d15b7 cam, a d16z6 IM, obd0 ls throttle body, an hf style header/cat/downpipe (the exhaust isn't hooked up right now), a6 dizzy, purple HID's, a full size radiator, the ac blower box core but nothing else for ac (that will be fixed within the next year), new stage one clutch (nice and grabby) hooked up to the factory 4spd manual
  • 90-91 style amber cornermarkers,
  • amber city lights
  • slammed on no name coil overs w BLOWN struts all around
  • worn out front brakes.

As you can see, it was in alright condition, but not perfect.

I am exhausted right now, i will post up pix and what all i've done to fix this special car up in the past month.

PS this thread is not a slam in any way shape or form towards the individual that i purchased the vehicle from. it is simply to be used ehhhhhhhhhh, like a journal.

Last edited by DCRB; 04-25-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Changed title
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 88 std hatch

ok so here's a major update:

got all the wiring fixed, a set of steelies w GOOD tread installed, fixed all the codes, re did the mpfi swap, installed good suspension all around that isn't blown, installed a d16z6 exhaust manifold and down pipe, bought and installed a new o2 sensor, adjusted the rear drums, bought and installed a front sway bar from a sedan, put on some jdm side markers, cleaned up the interior a little bit, and put in some 98 prelude seats, put on a CAI, cleaned up the engine bay a little bit, redid the battery re location, installed some nice speakers front and rear, hooked the deck up the correct way, put new plugs in it, and lifted it up a little bit.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 AM

lets see some pics. sounds like a questionable car, put in work and make it clean.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah found a new possible problem today... took it for a test drive around the block today, didn't die or throw any codes, however in w the car in gear and the clutch pushed in it wouldn't rev passed 4 g's, and didn't really want to go faster than about 30 or rev much in gear driving... i'm going to check the grounds on the engine tomorrow and maybe ad some more, and then on payday will rent a fuel pressure tester to see if i have good fuel pressure or not.

here's some random pix of it.

they day i brought it home:

headliner:

misc shots

I'll post up more pix later. for now this is what i could find
Old 04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

MY HATCH! lol atleast im the lucky one haha i got power windows and locks now! wanna buy 2 door lock actuators? 15 each homie...let me know
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice hatch. good luck with your built.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man. yeah actually i've been thinking about those power door lock actuators. i kind of want a pair... wink wink nudge nude.

today i kind of just puttsed around with it, messed w the radio, took some goofy pix of it w a green neon tube attached to the bumper, started it, let the alt. belt squeal for a min, then shut it off. i'm reading up right now on how to install my alarm for it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the build.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

gee ryan....maybe ill give you all the actuators that i have if you get me a adjustable cam gear...wink wink nudge nuge
Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to have an std. lol. mine was an 89. good luck. i love these cars.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man! i was going to start it up and move it into my driveway to take some daytime pix of it and clean it and what not, but the battery was dead... happened after i left the radio, lights and fan on for about 15 mins the other day. was able to clutch start it then w the help of my g/f, but no such luck by my self... so i just pushed it back to where i had it parked and went to school instead.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ordered a test pipe for it so i can get this thing drive able... stupid ups screwed me, i gotta wait till the 21st when i ordered it on the 10th...
Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

tahts the ups and down of UPS. remember, the visors for the hatch NEVER came in. so i dunno whats happening....maybe they are getting walked up here from fresno haha
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO well that's one way to help get some one a green card...

not much has been done to the hatch in a while, i drove it up and down the street and pissed my mom off the other day cuz it's so fuggin loud.... a series of unfortunate events has brought me across a full a/c system that still works (my 89 dx has a bent frame so i'm just scrapping it). this car becoming more complete all the time tho... one of these days i'll throw my alarm in it (famous last words....)
Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet deal my test pipe is here! lol i'm going to go clean my garage and then install it right now. it's an ebay brand, "rstype" but it has good looking welds and the flanges are pretty strait.

Last edited by DCRB; 04-21-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 PM
New User

is that a checkered headliner?! thats awesome if it is. im doin mine in suede.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it's pretty awsome, needs to be re done because its lose all over the place, but it works ok.

yesterday i installed my test pipe, a new radiator and fans, hooked up the main cooling fan through the ignition, adjusted the coil overs so it's even lower now than before, topped off and bled the cooling system, fixed some codes, and drove it around the block. pulls so hard! although it's a little on the hollow sounding side, although it might be due to it not having a cat and a HUGE muffler and resonator... gotta love the sir exhaust
Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like fun.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude it is. pulls way harder than a minivan too... can't wait to experience a b series tho...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hehehe went cruisin around my neighborhood today when all my neighbors were at work.. lots of s curves to power through... man it's go cart handling is fun!! cant wait to get better suspension tho.

any ways small update, i installed my new deck and my crx steering wheel today, as well as made the interior more messy. i'm thinking of replacing the carpet w some that i have layin around that's like, 100000000000000000000000 times nicer than what's in it now. the crx seat i put in it is stiffer than a board, so i'm going to experiment w a seatpan swap on my prelude seats since they are like lazy boy chairs... also put some bass in it.

pix:

movin it around to park my work trailer:

the bass makers:

and the steering wheel

sorry about the mess
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still havn't found a system i'm happy with. i started removing all of the interior to clean it up and replace the carpet and rear panels, and i plan to redo the headliner in suede. going to attempt a seat pan swap on my preludes tomorrow, should prove interesting
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

picked up a newer headliner that isnt all messed up, a recently rebuilt z6 head and some 3way pioneer premier 6.5's that i might rock instead of my components. not sure yet but we'll see. don't want to really cut up my dx door panels.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got my carpet installed today, and cleaned up my wiring. also got a new treble amp today, pipeacoustic. meh should be ok for my system. and a speaker to rca adapter to run it. lol. might be getting an oem gsr shifter, depending on weather or not i win the bid lol

Last edited by DCRB; 05-07-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pulled the head apart today in shop class, strait as an arrow, all valve seats look hella nice, cam's a little worn but it'll do till i can afford to upgrade it. havnt touched the block since i tore it down. going to be an obd1 swap mini me a6 bottom z6 top. might try to get some high comp pistons from an old school integra for it, but not sure.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

forgot to mention that i bought a GSR stock shifter for it on ebay the other day. can't wait till i get it here. replaced my pass. side door panel w my dx one, going to do the drivers side today after work. also installed some different tweeters on the mirror brackets. looks almost oem.

Quick Reply: My 88 std hatch