Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Recaro vs. Bride Crash Test Simulation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro vs. Bride Crash Test Simulation

Recaro:

Bride:

not really sure what to make of this... all I know is the crash dummy's head scored a gooooaaaaallllll!!! when riding in a Bride
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Recaro vs. Bride Crash Test Simulation

Thats kind of scary to see the seats snap back like that....i wouldnt want to be sitting in either of them, maybe its time i start thinking of getting rid of my seats.

With the Brides, the only difference I can see, is it doesnt hold the dummy's lap down, and thats what causes him to slide back farther..
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j30 a1sauce
With the Brides, the only difference I can see, is it doesnt hold the dummy's lap down, and thats what causes him to slide back farther..
Actually, notice how the seat back bends almost to the ground with the Bride. I think I trust Recaro much more.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea...I see what your saying. I wonder how sparco does in these types of tests..
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if these are the real deals, i wonder how bad the knock off seats that are currently all over the place would do in this type of test. makes me reconsider getting new seats for my car
Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 PM

holy ****!

After seeing those videos, I dunno if I would want to have either of those in my car.... brand name or not.

I wonder how well a pair of OEM seats would fair.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have any more info on this? I would like to know the speeds...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Information Leafblower

The car below is not mine, it's my friend's. Let me know if you need parts though.

I've got some pictures of what happens to Recaros in a crash. Both seats were bolted down with 3 bolts only. They are for sale too, the seat frames need to be readjusted but the rails are toast.

Here's the other pictures of the wreckage.
http://www.bluebomber.com/car/crashed/DSC03376s.JPG
http://www.bluebomber.com/car/crashed/DSC03377s.JPG
http://www.bluebomber.com/car/crashed/DSC03378s.JPG
http://www.bluebomber.com/car/crashed/DSC03380s.JPG

Last edited by bluebomber; 03-24-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, are you suffering from any back pain/injuries?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Information Leafblower

I wasn't riding in it at the time, but there were no serious injuries to either guy that were in there.

Both were wearing seatbelts but there were no airbags (previously deployed in another accident).
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well wouldnt that be caused by bolting on 3 bolts. The seat would want to twist in a crash depending on impact? Recaro does have huge contracts making plane seats i'd like to trust them more than the rest usually.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Information Leafblower

That's what I'm saying. I'm just showing in a crash situation, even with only 3 bolts, they barely moved; certainly not like in the video.

It attests to how well they held up.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebomber
That's what I'm saying. I'm just showing in a crash situation, even with only 3 bolts, they barely moved; certainly not like in the video.

It attests to how well they held up.

The video is a rear end collision simulation. Your crash is a side/rear collision. Much different forces when comparing seat failure direction.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

these are old test, i would like to see how the bride gias in this test.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if those did that, i hate to see what my tenzo r's would do
Old 03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is Awesome! I remember a few years back I was interested in gettting racing seats for my civic but I didn't want to pay alot so I was thinking about getting the type r knock offs on ebay. But before I did anything I did a search here on HT to get ideas and opinions. And i remember everybody saying ebay seats suck, type r knock offs are unsafe, etc, etc, etc. EVERYBODY said get recaro or bride seats, its worth the money. "spend the extra money and save your life" lololol, People on here are so sure of themselves, and think spending $1200 for an aftermarket seat is better then spending $150 for a seat. Its a gamble with any aftermarket part. A recaro seat and ebay knock will both hold up in a road course situation, but they don't compare to oem quality and safety.

Another thing that bothers me is, weight saving. People make a big deal about racing seats that weight less. On a track only car YES, racing seats might be fine, but on a daily drivin car, safty is more important then -10lbs per seat. I can't see how a seat can be light and safe at the same time. This post, is basically a nice big in your face/**** you to all the "know it alls" on here that tell people to spend thousands of dollars on seats because theyre made by a big name company, and they " test their products". Aftermarket cams are designed, made and tested too, And there always storys about aftermarket cams breaking. Theres a reason why oem seats are made with steel and weight more.

Anyway, since I believed everyone and thought ebay seats sucked and recaros were to expensive to sepend on just seats. I ended up getting 03 rsx seats in cloth. And They're amazing, they might not hold me as tight as racing seats but theyre a HUGE upgrade from the terrible oem civic seats. Had i seen this post back then, i would have stopped my search and gone with oem right away.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well from the videos it looks like you might actually be in better shape in the Brides than Recaros. Notice how the Bride seat has a smooth transition of moving back with the impact, absorbing the force. The Recaro on the other hand sprung forward possibly causing major whiplash to the neck. I'm no expert on the subject just my opinion.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j30 a1sauce
Thats kind of scary to see the seats snap back like that....i wouldnt want to be sitting in either of them, maybe its time i start thinking of getting rid of my seats.

actually if you look at the neck/head area you can see a forward hump just above the shoulders, if you compare it to the brides there is no hump. the laps of both dummy were in the air, however it appears the hump is what stopped the sliding....Im not an engineer, thats just what it looks like is going on to me
Old 03-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After seeing the crash test it pretty much shows the results as far as brands are concerned, but what about seat types. Those were both reclinable, what about the one piece buckets, the carbon or carbon/kevlar seats which seem to be just as common as reclinables when it comes to modded Hondas. I'm curious if they would hold up stronger. I hope they would, the only other result I can think of is the seat snapping in two, that would kill a person.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive never heard of a bucket seat snapping in two. Frankly, I dont think it is plausible. The shown seats fail at the joint...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondadriver
This is Awesome! I remember a few years back I was interested in gettting racing seats for my civic but I didn't want to pay alot so I was thinking about getting the type r knock offs on ebay. But before I did anything I did a search here on HT to get ideas and opinions. And i remember everybody saying ebay seats suck, type r knock offs are unsafe, etc, etc, etc. EVERYBODY said get recaro or bride seats, its worth the money. "spend the extra money and save your life" lololol, People on here are so sure of themselves, and think spending $1200 for an aftermarket seat is better then spending $150 for a seat. Its a gamble with any aftermarket part. A recaro seat and ebay knock will both hold up in a road course situation, but they don't compare to oem quality and safety.

Another thing that bothers me is, weight saving. People make a big deal about racing seats that weight less. On a track only car YES, racing seats might be fine, but on a daily drivin car, safty is more important then -10lbs per seat. I can't see how a seat can be light and safe at the same time. This post, is basically a nice big in your face/**** you to all the "know it alls" on here that tell people to spend thousands of dollars on seats because theyre made by a big name company, and they " test their products". Aftermarket cams are designed, made and tested too, And there always storys about aftermarket cams breaking. Theres a reason why oem seats are made with steel and weight more.

Anyway, since I believed everyone and thought ebay seats sucked and recaros were to expensive to sepend on just seats. I ended up getting 03 rsx seats in cloth. And They're amazing, they might not hold me as tight as racing seats but theyre a HUGE upgrade from the terrible oem civic seats. Had i seen this post back then, i would have stopped my search and gone with oem right away.
After reading the first sentence, my thought on what the rest of the post was going to be about matched up pretty much exactly with what I read in the rest of it. Typical.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm recaro seems to hold up better, but i think i'm sticking to OEM
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Recaro IS an OEM.

I agree with some post above. I would love to see test comparisons with the knockoff seats.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrlegoman
Recaro IS an OEM.
true, i was referring to my stock LX seats, my bad
Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 AM
New User

Awesome, that's sweet!