Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How's the AEM EMS for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the AEM EMS for tuning?

I'm about to get the Hondata s300 to tune my N/A build but I was wondering if the AEM EMS is just as good and easy to tune? Which one do you reccomend?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How's the AEM EMS for tuning?

umm.. depends on whos tuning and what they are familiar working with. If its you tuning, I'd scrap both and go with crome. Its soo easy even a moron can do it (YESSS! even I can do it :D)

Both those systems are good if your going all out either N/A or forced inducting but a touch overkill on a bolt on car in my opinion. Where you headed with this car meanshyguy?

Just don't want you blowing a crap load of money if you don't need such a expensive tuning setup.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ask your tuner to see what their more comfortable with.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you know how to properly operate that system, it is pretty bad ***.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEM EMS is much more difficult to tune than the s300. Don't waste your time with freeware junk. The majority of reputable established tuners won't touch the freeware garbage.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PrecisionH23a
AEM EMS is much more difficult to tune than the s300. Don't waste your time with freeware junk. The majority of reputable established tuners won't touch the freeware garbage.
for once i agree..
Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in no shape way or form even under the strictest budgets would you suggest someone get tuned with freeware?

I don't find all freeware to be junk. I think you should atleast try to be specific about certain free ware rather than bashing it all colectively.

In the end it does come down to what you can afford, and what your tuner knows how to use and thats it.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattsnooz
So in no shape way or form even under the strictest budgets would you suggest someone get tuned with freeware?

I don't find all freeware to be junk. I think you should atleast try to be specific about certain free ware rather than bashing it all colectively.

In the end it does come down to what you can afford, and what your tuner knows how to use and thats it.
It's all junk... is that specific enough?

99% of the cars with free-ware EMS's are ghetto rigged. I know... because I see them come into the shop all the time. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going all motor for the drag strip on the weekends and drive it on weekdays occationally, my build thread is here somewhere.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why spend money on a build, only 2 buy crap for engine management?? That's probally the most important thing..
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
moderator emeritus

Originally Posted by meanshyguy
I'm going all motor for the drag strip on the weekends and drive it on weekdays occationally, my build thread is here somewhere.
it depends on your budget. I would stay away from programs like Crome and uberdata because only some of the stuff works and somethings work but not as they are intended. Not to mention there is no support for either of those.

eCtune, Neptune, Hondata (although I would never buy one personally), AEM, autronic, motec, dta, fast and more...all of those are real engine managements that work as they are intended and have support with program updates.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99% of the cars with free-ware EMS's are ghetto rigged.
That does not mean that freeware EMS itself is junk, if that is what you base your logic on it is flawed. There are several rather high profile cars that have run, and continue to run Crome, etc, with success.

If you wish to debate the finer points of control on any of the freeware EMS out there you may do so with me, Anthony. I will agree that some of it is junk, but I'm certain it will be for different reasons. How's your assembler?

Originally Posted by 98vtec
it depends on your budget. I would stay away from programs like Crome and uberdata because only some of the stuff works and somethings work but not as they are intended. Not to mention there is no support for either of those.

eCtune, Neptune, Hondata (although I would never buy one personally), AEM, autronic, motec, dta, fast and more...all of those are real engine managements that work as they are intended and have support with program updates.
Disagree about AEM. I understand the AEM guys finally mastered the concept of an opamp and the v2.0 aka USB boxes will correctly support VR sensors, but AEM as we have known it for the last decade offers poor support for Hondas, Toyotas, and other cars that use VR sensors (some Mazda, etc). The v1.0 AEM was designed by someone very comfortable with digital but lacking even basic linear background; to correctly handle a VR sensor in a digital system requires variable rate of change calculations (calculus, and complex to do with an MCU)... or use of an opamp, which performs integration and differentiation by nature.

Pretty basic blunder IMO, but hey Motec made it too.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
moderator emeritus

the support part was mostly from what i have experienced with ectune and neptune and read about with motec. I have had zero experience with aem other than downloading the program. You open it and look at all the things that need to be calibrated to each engine and its just breathe taking, lol.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, I like AEMs, just not for not-Hondas which have easier alternatives, since half the stuff an AEM tune requires is already done for you in the stock-based code. The only issue with *all* of the good OBD1 ECU based solutions is the way the revlimiters are handled, it's not ideal as the Honda-based two steps end up a lot higher, but it can be lived with.

I've done a few Honda box conversions on Toyotas, Mazda Protege (pre-MP5 1.6 liter, the ****ed up one with hall and VR sensors), SBF, and I'm fitting 1050s right now to a K24 and an R34 Skyline and a 1000 box to a Porsche 951. On the VR-equipped cars I always end up recalibrating the idiot attenuation resistors to suit the individual vehicle as setting Sync Error RS to 0 and having a car that's slow to catch when cranking isn't how I roll. I have partial adapter board schematics and most sensor resistor locations for 1000, 1020, 1050, 1052, 1313, (and I'm sure others in the future) so if anyone ever has a wierd AEM swap problem hit me up. I'm not a weenie about sharing what I know.

Also, since we're on the AEM rant, the stock 1100 cal for the Mk4 Supra TT has the coil dwell tables hammered. The problem with those cars misfiring under boost is NOT because the system has been converted to wasted spark. I've made over 600 on stock coils with no DLI or other ignition box, and I'm fairly certain I can make more.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't waste your time with freeware junk. The majority of reputable established tuners won't touch the freeware garbage.
What a load of crap.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by leed
what a load of crap.
+1
Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vegas hoe
+1
I agree. I don't know how else to say it but could be because he wont make money off of freeware based systems?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I find the freeware to work better if I start a camp fire with a couple hundred dollar bills first.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vegas hoe
+1
+2
Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stealthmode Performance
I find the freeware to work better if I start a camp fire with a couple hundred dollar bills first.
lol nice
Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slick_LudE
I agree. I don't know how else to say it but could be because he wont make money off of freeware based systems?
what better way to make to make money then tell someone the reason thier car runs like **** is because they needs to spend hundreds on a new EMS rather then the fact that they just need a proper tune.

at some point the freeware probably becomes a restriction, and a real EMS is necessary to to go any further. to say freeware is "junk" is ignorant. no suprise from this place though.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll just get the Hondata s300, looks like a better choice.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heheh, this topic is going to get out of hand soon. When it comes down to battles of EMS theres wars to be faught HEHEH.

Freeware for the poor. Hondata for the rich. Everything else just falls inbetween.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattsnooz
Freeware for the poor. Hondata for the rich. Everything else just falls inbetween.
Maybe you mean freeware is for those that believe things like "all freeware is crap." I would never buy Hondata after their attack on pgmfi.org.

I've used crome, and never had an issue with it. The local tuners use crome. I've never had any complaints about it, and don't see the point in spending hundreds more on JDM and Hondata and whatever else when I could use the money towards something more useful.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Read the whole topic. I support freeware and only use crome.

I was making a joke about how poor I am lol, and how rich other people are if they use hondata or similar expensive tuning systems
oh,..you never had to reload a map in crome? theres little bugs like that but nothing major that I've found. Burning to a chip is a bit touchy some times too I find using the Burn1

Quick Reply: How's the AEM EMS for tuning?