Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

drive axles? tranny problems? or misfiring???????//

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive axles? tranny problems? or misfiring???????//

i bought a 94 ex auto tranny with a 147,000 i really have no previous knowledge on the car or its maintainace, the car might have several seperate problems but here is what its doing, first when i turn sharp from a stop i hear a clicking sound which i figured was the drive axle on the right side then it started doing it when i turn left sometimes , also at the same time when i drive the car say when im at a light or stop sign and accelerate normal like say a older person the car stutters like its either missing or something but if you accelerate it more it runs perfect its just when your accelerating at low rpms even when im going say 40mph and barley touch the gas to continue going at the speed it does it , im lost like a ****
Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: drive axles? tranny problems? or misfiring???????//

I don't think it's a tranny problem... I'm not some pro, but I could tell you what to check for.

As for the clicking, I'm darn sure it is the axles. See if the boot is torn open. I suggest getting that fixed IMMEDIATELY.

As for the stuttering, would you say it was misfiring or? I'm guessing, IDK but i think that the axle might be so bad that it kinda jams up therefore making your car stutter. I need more info on this. (Throwing some random theory, LOL)
Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteezy1290
i bought a 94 ex auto tranny with a 147,000 i really have no previous knowledge on the car or its maintainace, the car might have several seperate problems but here is what its doing, first when i turn sharp from a stop i hear a clicking sound which i figured was the drive axle on the right side then it started doing it when i turn left sometimes , also at the same time when i drive the car say when im at a light or stop sign and accelerate normal like say a older person the car stutters like its either missing or something but if you accelerate it more it runs perfect its just when your accelerating at low rpms even when im going say 40mph and barley touch the gas to continue going at the speed it does it , im lost like a ****
I would concur on the Constant Velocity joint noise. I would inspect both.
Most likely the really bad one will have a broken / split boot seal associated with it. The easiest avenue on this is to install a remanufactured axle assembly.
If you see any indications of the opposite side's boot seal cracking (in the creases), it will be worth your time to have that boot replaced. As long as the seal didn't break open; you can replace just the boot seal.

Is there a "check engine" lamp shining on the dash face?
If there is not, you could be dealing with carbon buildup in the egr ports. They could cause a stuttering sensation under light aceleration between 1800 and 2100 rpm.

Refer:
http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

P
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im hoping that it just needs a tune up, im going to replace plugs wires rotor and cap but honestly it all looks fairly new so who knows, im also going to drain the trans oil and put some new in it. the carbon build up on the egr ports is a good idea if i do all that and it still does it i will prolly check the ports
Old 01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im hoping that it just needs a tune up, im going to replace plugs wires rotor and cap but honestly it all looks fairly new so who knows, im also going to drain the trans oil and put some new in it. the carbon build up on the egr ports is a good idea if i do all that and it still does it i will prolly check the ports
Fair enough, do the simplist stuff first.
You've got the info you need.
Let us know how the Accord turned out.

That may have been a clue [quote] "but honestly it all looks fairly new" [quote], hopefully this work wasn't performed for just this reason.....

P
Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i did the tune up and noticed the distributor cap was cracked and so was the button inside so i thought i had her figured out lol, well i ran great for about 10 miles then started doing it again so i took the cap back off and button and noticed the part with all the wires to it is also cracked so im thinkin thats the problem but do i have to buy a whole distributor or can i buy just that part, by the way i replaced the axles too and have determined that this is a spark problem for sure
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man this site is not what it use to be a couple years ago, you use to post something and within minutes there was a reply, where did everyone go??
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man this site is not what it use to be a couple years ago, you use to post something and within minutes there was a reply, where did everyone go??
Sorry, most of us are either on the unemployment line or scrambling to keep our jobs.
The rest left because of the incessant whinning.......
That component is refered to as either the Ignition module or the Ignitor module. It is available seperately.

P

Last edited by P_Adams; 01-31-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i know there 169 i think im gonna try to pick up a used distributor and get it
Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i replaced the plugs wires cap and rotor and distributor, please tell me what is causing this low rpm miss, it doesnt miss at idle on while driving at low rpm
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!!!!!!!! before i take it to a honda dealer and get stroked,,,
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!!!!!!!! before i take it to a honda dealer and get stroked,,,
You may already have been given the cause. I gave you the possible cause and the associated link. Did you run it by your local tech? When the Honda tech comes back with his suggestion, let me know.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

timing
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chaulk another one up to the egr ports being clogged, i was bored today and decided to check and see if this was the case , 3 of the 4 ports were completly clogged so i cleaned em out and the car runs like a dream ...