Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

6'7" guy in an 08 s2k. Considerations for all the REALLY tall folks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6'7" guy in an 08 s2k. Considerations for all the REALLY tall folks

Well, the time has finally come. I've been wanting an s2000 ever since they came out back in 99. but, my problem is Im 6'7" tall... quite the problem. I work at a dealership, (parker johnstone wilsonville honda, i know, hes a legend. and my boss, but the coolest dude you'll probably ever meet) and have worked on plenty a s2000. only problem is, i dont drive the s2k long distance or everyday. I only drive them In and out of the shop, occasionally to the gas station on a PDI. but never long term to really know the ups and downs of an s2k as a daily driver for a tall guy. like, all the problems of having long legs and arms. How i fit, how my legs fit between the steering wheel, or arms going to the cup holders, window switches, etc. I've seen the how tall are you threads, but i think this one is a bit more detailed then, "yeah im tall and i still fit"

and, this thread is sort of a tech thread for all the freakishly tall people like me, who want an s2000 but think they wont fit.

I've been blessed with the oppertunity to take one of these new puppies home for a nice long 3 day weekend. chasing a CEL that doesnt really exsist (stupid sales people, its a damn low tire pressure light, but hey....they dont need to know that). Well, my first thoughts are. "damn this thing is noisy, and small. and i cant see my surroundings worth a crap." but i've always wanted one, so i needed to really define what bothered me, and if i could live with it, or not.

So...Ill start with the seat. Besides the fac that you need to reach over yourself with your right hand to pull it out and buckle it in, The drivers seat is pretty tight. luckily, im only 195 lbs. so i fit in between it nicely. BUT, i need leg room. Well, you get a choice... slide the seat all the way back for leg room, or recline it so you arent sitting straight up in an L shape. I opted for leg room. what about head room you may ask. no, my head doesnt hit the top, but you still need to duck for the traffic lights to see what color they are. and just so happens that the rear view mirror is positionsed just right so it blocks your field of view to the right enough that its annoying.

Leg room actually isnt that bad either, if you are this tall and have a civic, or integra, you know what its like and where your legs sit, hitting the dash and door panels.Very similar. Looking out the side windows isnt as bad as i thought, you can actually see out them OK. you do sort of appear like you're in a clown car when you stop at a gas station, or traffic light, or get out of the car when other people look at you. but who cares.

The inner door release handles, and window controls are sort of a pain. as luck would have it, honda put a door pull right in the damn way of the window controls and door release handle, and angled the switches slightly downward like the ridgeline. I dont know about you, but that damn downward slope is irritating and slightly confusing. you get to search for the controls, instead of them being in a convieniant position that you can readily access you get to feel your way to the controls. This is a main concern of mine, because it will always annoy me having to move my hands around an obsticle to get out of the damn car or put my window down.

I researched aftermarket seats that would help put you in position like a normal person, but just one seat, with rails that lower the seat so you can see traffic lights without ducking, and make the door handles and window controls easily accessable are around or more then $1,000 each. not too practical to spend money on unless you're uber rich, which i am not. we had a theft recovery s2000 in the shop missing seats, and i sat in it on the floor, with my back to the plastic, and that fit just about perfect. but, you gotta have a seat, so youre probably screwed with the stock one. so make your choice. sore back, or cramped legs

driving around i noticed that all the dash controls, (though limited) are perfectly within reach. good thing about that is, they arent confusing. you dont really need to look, or think about where to look, or move your hands, like oh lets say... a new 08 accord with navi. Those console controls are hell. i also suggest never opening the center console panel to let the plastic cover down to reveal the sterio, just set your presets and use the controls on the left. that small plastic cover will actually hit your right knee and dig into it. fun...

Then there is the steering wheel... while holding the steeing wheel with your left hand, you get an option. hold the top, and turn uncomfortably because your wrist will be twisted down, or grasp it from the side, and attempt to rest your left elbow on the door panel. also a cramped position. good for us, the steering is so responsive, you dont need to move the wheel that much, so you can put up with the uncomfortable resting of the left elbow on the door panel for normal driving.

Shifting is just as easy as any car, just with less reach to get to the shift ****. it rests comfortably in your right hand. always.

the center console cup holders are also kind of a pain. When your arms reach the other side of the car, its difficult to wrap them around in a @ symbol to reach the cup you left in the center console. But, its not so bad once you get used to it im sure. I also dont like the very very limited space where you can store things. Small center console, no glove box, and some janky idea of a rear upper storage compartment. the trunk is also a joke. spare tire galore, but i can barely fit my own six pack of busch light pounders back there.

So far, thats all I've noticed about the car that is an inconvieniance to all of us freakishly tall folks. everything that seems to irritate me to the point of noticing it.

It's a blast to drive, plenty of power, the HID's are amazing, suspension is a bit rough, its noisey, and small. but like riding a street bike, its uncomfortable at first, but your body seems to adapt the the seemingly cramped and limited space, and you get used to it. then you begin to enjoy the other features that it was designed for.

One more thing. I belive they re-did the center console in 04 and made it a bit wider. Ive got a chance to sit in both right next to eachother, and the pre 04's seemed to have a bit more leg room. I could be wrong. we dont see them THAT often.

If you can get over these minor downfalls, i suggest you buy one. espesually if you're a young fella like me (23) you can do anything to your body now, and you wont know the difference.

Hope this helped someone who had been searching for a good answer to the being tall in an s2k delima. if not, well then screw it, i had an energy drink, then got drunk, (hense the crappy spelling) and its 2:30 and i have nothing better to do. so there.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6'7" guy in an 08 s2k. Considerations for all the REALLY tall folks

Honestly...I think this should get stickied.

It's a good write up from a taller person's perspective, and it's funny.

Thanks for a beneficial contribution!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the sticky.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i loved s2000's till i took one for a long drive, waaay too noisy for my taste...

good luck with the decision... maybe look into other bigger roadsters?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info, i am 6'7", 195-200lbs

i have been looking for a 01-03 S2000.

the reason im looking for an older one is so i have money left over for a hardtop (unless the car comes with one), smaller aftermarket steering wheel, and an aftermarket driver seat with low position rail's.

thanks for the info man, i have only ever sat in the 08's...they felt kinda cramped, but i could easily see a smaller steering wheel, and low position seat making me fit alot better.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 AM

fixed bucket and low mounting rails will be your friend. keeps you from sliding (on stock leather seats) and makes it easier to focus on the road since you dont have to brace yourself in some turns. im 6'1' myself and i feel some of your pain.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a cheaper option: you can purchase rails that are compatible with you current OEM seat so it sits about an inch lower. i'm not sure how much of a help 1 inch would give you, but when you're tall, every inch probably counts.

http://www.sinudesign.com/sidelowrioem.html
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is another thread about this: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-s2000-5/height-1623384/

I added a link to this thread in the FAQ. Thanks for the info OP.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess my legs are longer than the O.P cause when i sat in one i got stuck (leg jammed between the wheel and door lever) and the window was up so i couldn't reac out and let myself out. sales lady got a good laugh. and i'm 6'7.5"

Last edited by Lo-Buck EF; 01-13-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im 6'2 and i worked at 2 honda dealers, for me the S2K's are amazing ive been in an 03, 07, 08 and personaly the 03 was the roomiest. the leg room is nice and just the way it sits next to the center colsole is comfortable. id go with what ever is comfortable for you. to me noise i could care less about, thats why god made sunny summer days, and honda made the S2K a convertable with power windows. Personaly getting in and out of S2's is a little bit of a problem but so is my car. But like others said lower seat rails would make a difference and a smaller wheel would lso help.

I have a 95 2 door civic lowered on the ground, i need lower seats with rails and im thinkin of a AP2 steering wheel.