Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
View Poll Results: which car better fir the track?!
91 CRX
32.31%
eg hatch
67.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

eg hatch VS 90 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: eg hatch VS 90 CRX

I've had both. Currently running the EG hatch.

I'm voting hatch. But don't get me wrong, I LOVED my CRX. But the EG is simply a better platform. It's about the same weight as the CRX (I have a '92 CX, same weight as my CRX) plus you have back seats, longer wheelbase, bigger engine bay, factory OBD-1, and better front suspension.

The CRX has those stupid radius rods on the front of the LCAs that are just horribly designed. The engine bay on my hatch is SOOOO much easier to work on than my CRX... Swaps are easier and more available. It's just all newer, sleeker, and...well..better. Looking at CRX's now they just look like a toy barbie car. I still love it, but it needs to grow up a little bit.

The CRX is NOT lighter than the EG - UNLESS you get an 88/89 HF. If you have a 92-93 CX/VX you'll be the same weight as the rest of the CRX's. And sure, the CRX may *seem* like it has a stiffer chassis, and it *might* indeed be that way, but there is more frame bracing available for the EG - thus it has higher potential for a stiffer frame. Unless it's caged, then, well, who cares. But also look at Solo2 nationals - the past few years I've seen EG's generally run faster times than CRX's in SM. Just something to think about.

Last edited by MrTodd; 01-08-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTodd

I'm voting hatch. But don't get me wrong, I LOVED my CRX. But the EG is simply a better platform. It's about the same weight as the CRX (I have a '92 CX, same weight as my CRX) plus you have back seats, longer wheelbase, bigger engine bay, factory OBD-1, and better front suspension.

The CRX has those stupid radius rods on the front of the LCAs that are just horribly designed. The engine bay on my hatch is SOOOO much easier to work on than my CRX... Swaps are easier and more available. It's just all newer, sleeker, and...well..better. Looking at CRX's now they just look like a toy barbie car. I still love it, but it needs to grow up a little bit.

The CRX is NOT lighter than the EG - UNLESS you get an 88/89 HF. If you have a 92-93 CX/VX you'll be the same weight as the rest of the CRX's. And sure, the CRX may *seem* like it has a stiffer chassis, and it *might* indeed be that way, but there is more frame bracing available for the EG - thus it has higher potential for a stiffer frame. Unless it's caged, then, well, who cares. But also look at Solo2 nationals - the past few years I've seen EG's generally run faster times than CRX's in SM. Just something to think about.
hmmmm if what this man says is true (which it probably is, hes owned both and i havn't) then i officially change my vote to eg!!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eg ftw x2

EG'S are sound when it come to the track... they are alot more compatible the eg is lighter and eg is cheaper.... crx have stock front crossmember with a radius rod set up... junk

eg ftw!...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have not owned a crx but i currently have an eg n its my dd and i love it and im planning on making it a track car and from wat i hear its way easyer to drop swaps, turbos and wat not... but on the other hand its up to u. u love the rex then go for it because at the end of the day u have to look at ur grate success, lol (borat), and be happy with ur creation... :p
Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the crx is better for that good luck
Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disregard every other post in this thread except for the one quoted below. Combine this post with the fact that you say parts for the CRX are hard to come by in your area, and I think the answer is clear as day.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

God's Chariot. /thread
Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I vote the crx. It is very easy to an obdI conversion and swap in a b series. It has a very low center of gravity and is very easy to make handle one G. They look better imo, and parts are not that hard to find, not sure why people say that.

Either way you'll fun, good luck.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

oh yeah, read this.....

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=8863
Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 AM

as a fan of both I am going to say the CRX - everyone and their dog has a hatch

CRX is lighter - quite a bit of options - yeah to put anything other than a D in you have to buy mounts but it's worth it...

suspension - yes you have more options essentially for the hatch but you should be using a solid setup anyway and traction bar...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I own both I feel like I can give an expert answer. The CRX is lighter and has a slightly shorter wheelbase. Looking at some of the top FF import Honda drag cars, most people use the EF CRX Si. It will typically require rollie bars and drag slicks up front to maximize potential. The CRX Si utilizes disc brakes all around and has the absence of a back seat. Swap in any engine Honda makes and let her fly.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty much says all you need know. We keep gettin posts to the contrary... but I think this guy has it right. I've also had both... and curently have my hatch.
If all you're gonna do is race (RACE ONLY) and have a dd then the crx might be the car for you based on looks or being different. But the hatch is where its at.
The hatch meets all requirements if your not single, have kids, or an actual "life". Roll it every day... and swap wheels, tighten up the suspension and then drive it to the track... easy come... and easy go.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burningrex
i like the eg better the crx is a little too short...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like eg's for the street. but the CRX is a better track car. its lighter and smaller and handles better.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Vietnamese!

Both are Honda
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eg sonnn