Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

DIY Bilstein revalve project, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Bilstein revalve project, part 2

By the way, it's called damping. Not sure what dampening is, but might have something to do with liquids and diapers.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by descartesfool
By the way, it's called damping. Not sure what dampening is, but might have something to do with liquids and diapers.
Mr Fool... thanks for the correction. Post updated.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the shock oil? Can you list the exact parts needed for someone looking to tackle this project?

I have a set of short body bilsteins on the front of my CRX that I would love to revalve to handle a 600lb spring.

Thank you for spending the time to make this write up! It's not every day that someone is willing to take the time to document their project!

Bryson
Old 09-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the official Bilstein oil, or you can use any shock oil from a motorcycle shop. (I believe shock oil is higher quality than fork oil). I forget the exact viscosity, but it was something like the low 20's cst. I also remember that it is somewhere between redline red and yellow, but closer to yellow.

Aside from the parts I mentioned in this guide and part 1, you'll probably need a dyno and a whole bunch of shims. After you decide on what kind of dyno plot you want, it's going to take a bunch of experimenting with the shims to get it right. OR you could tell me what dyno plot you want and I can try to throw together a shim stack for you. But it'll cost you

You might also get piston teflon bands and dividing piston o rings, in case yours are worn. Right, possibly another 8x1mm nut in case you jack yours up trying to take it off.

This might also be a good time to switch over to the new style COB/RBT digressive pistons in case you have the old skool style (if your shocks are older than 2 or 3 yrs) plus the check valve assembly.

Basically, be prepared to forget something, and not be able to use your shocks for a while. FWIW, if you only plan to do this once, I would send the shocks to Bilstein.

Last edited by beanbag; 09-27-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you very much for providing this kind of detailed and hard to find information.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beanbag
You can buy the official Bilstein oil, or you can use any shock oil from a motorcycle shop. (I believe shock oil is higher quality than fork oil). I forget the exact viscosity, but it was something like the low 20's cst. I also remember that it is somewhere between redline red and yellow, but closer to yellow.

Aside from the parts I mentioned in this guide and part 1, you'll probably need a dyno and a whole bunch of shims. After you decide on what kind of dyno plot you want, it's going to take a bunch of experimenting with the shims to get it right. OR you could tell me what dyno plot you want and I can try to throw together a shim stack for you. But it'll cost you

You might also get piston teflon bands and dividing piston o rings, in case yours are worn. Right, possibly another 8x1mm nut in case you jack yours up trying to take it off.

This might also be a good time to switch over to the new style COB/RBT digressive pistons in case you have the old skool style (if your shocks are older than 2 or 3 yrs) plus the check valve assembly.

Basically, be prepared to forget something, and not be able to use your shocks for a while. FWIW, if you only plan to do this once, I would send the shocks to Bilstein.
Any idea how much bilstein would charge to do that? I would love to do it myself, but then again I don't have a dyno and would be hating life if I messed it up.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've read a few places that the people at Bilstein can be pretty helpful when it comes to helping with shim stacks.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by *Boostwerks*
Any idea how much bilstein would charge to do that? I would love to do it myself, but then again I don't have a dyno and would be hating life if I messed it up.
Hey Bryson! How are you doing? It will cost you about $65/shock - the engineers there are very helpful and very knswledgable and can for sure help ya get whatever you need done.

Here is the Bilstein price list: http://www.bilsteinus.com/services.php

Lemme know if there is something i can do to help ya out. I live about 10 miles from Bilstein...its useful when i need to get mine re-valved i can just drop them off and talk to them in person.

liam
Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW, if you only plan to do this once, I would send the shocks to Bilstein.
I hate to dredge up an old thread but....

If you do send the shocks to Bilstein, what do you ask for?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ecugrad
If you do send the shocks to Bilstein, what do you ask for?
Call them and find out. Just tell them you are interested in revalving your shocks.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EauRouge
Call them and find out. Just tell them you are interested in revalving your shocks.
I am curious what they say
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am curious what they say
They told me they wanted corner weights, springs rates I planned to run, and some other stuff I can't remember. It seems like they already have some pre-made valvings available for Honda racers. Like I said, call them and find out. I had my Bilsteins re-valved through the Poway office.