Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car won't start.. Is it the starter?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start.. Is it the starter?

Okay, this past Saturday I went out of town to visit some family and when it was time to go - car wouldn't start. At all.

Here is what happens, when I turn the key to accessory, I can turn the car lights on, the interior lights come on, and everything looks fine. Lights shine very bright. When I turn the key all the way to start the car, nothing happens. No sound, no nothing. Not even any clicking noises.

Leading up to this, over the past 3 or 4 weeks or so, the car would start on the first try but I had noticed it was slowly taking a while longer to fully crank. The car was actually scheduled to go to the shop next Friday on the 3rd of October, but no.. it wanted to fail now.

What could be the cause of this? I am assuming it is the starter. If so, is it easy to replace? I did some reading online, and it sounds as if it's just a couple bolts and thats it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Car won't start.. Is it the starter? (bjm123)

when was the last time you got your spark plugs changed?

auto insurance
Old 09-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds a lot like a starter problem... But if you have an older battery as well that you have to put water into that would be a problem as well. The lights would still come on just no turn over on the car..
Defiantly not an alternator problem.. Also check your
*spark plugs
*wires
*distributor cap & rotor
Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Re:

Thanks for the replies!

My car was just recently tuned up (the free tune-up from honda for cars between 75-150k) about 13,000 miles ago. It included replacing the cap, rotor, plugs, oil and filter change. I would try and do more testing with the car, but won't be able to get to it until Friday. It's about 65 miles away at family's, but I'm too busy to go until then.

The battery seems fine, I haven't had to do anything to it at all. Does that pretty much leave only the starter as the cause of the issue? Anything else I should take note of to check?

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried jumping it?

Possibly the ignition switch?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an alarm system, especially an aftermarket one? I was just reading a thread on a Toyota forum where the guy had an aftermarket alarm system that had a starter disabler in it, the problem turned out to be a blown fuse (the fuse that the alarm system went through).

Anyway, for now, take the clamps off of the battery, clean the terminals with a terminal cleaner (a $2 metal brush available at any autoparts store or probably Wal-Mart) and put it back on.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car won't start.. Is it the starter? (Heat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried jumping it?

Possibly the ignition switch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes check the above items.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start.. Is it the starter? (dtapia)

x2 Check the simple stuff first. Might just be a blown fuse. Try jumping it, and if it starts then you will know it's something with the battery or something.

I kind of think it's not the starter, but an electrical problem. When you turn the key, the starter pops the starter gear out and spins it. When a starter goes bad it will usually do one or the other, so it will pop out and not spin, or it will spin but not pop out, either one of those you would hear at least some noise, clicking or spinning. That's just a thought though, cause it could be the starter. If it is the starter, it's simple and you could do it yourself.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 AM

Check all your fuses.

If you don't find any blown run a jumper straight off your battery to the starter solenoid and see what happens. If it turns over that eliminates the battery and starter as being the culprit.

If it doesn't turn over try jumping the solenoid off a different battery that you know is good.

Bypassing all the switches and relays with a jumper should at least get you to the point to where you can eliminate the battery or starter as the problem.