Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SixFiveOh's B5 A4 Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Sweet Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SixFiveOh's B5 A4 Progress Thread

More of a progression than build thread. Thought about selling it but changed my mind today, so I figured I'd put up my progress as incentive to keep going.

5/22/07 - Picked her up for $11,700 with 47k on the odometer from the 2nd owner. 2001 A4 1.8T 5spd with sport package. Took it home, washed it right away, and shot a few pics with the DA (which was hurtin from 2 front blowouts).

5/29/07 - Gave it it's first real detail, washed, clayed, polished, glazed and waxed her and added a euro front plate.

6/16/07 - Finally got around to tinting the windows, 20% in back, 35% in front. Also debadged the car the same day.

6/23/07 - Installed the A'pexi turbo timer. Was gonna mount it in the pen holder, but it ended up being alot easier to just do it above the steering column.

6/30/07 - Clear cornered using the dremel and cut technique. Made some big *** holes Oh well, mark e-codes as another mod to do [up]

7/5/07 - Fixed a minor annoyance today. When I bought the car, there was a large rip in the drivers seat. Took it to a shop today and replaced the vinyl and bolstering. A near perfect match to OEM, in the after pics the perforations in the vinyl don't show up too well for some reason...

Before:

After:

7/6/07 - My Valeo Ecodes with HIDs came today, got a good deal on them and gave the car such a cleaner look. My A4 came w/o HIDs so the difference is awesome. Here's a comparison from before to after.

Before:

After:

7/20/07 - Did my foglights yellow, as well as sprayed all plastic on the front of the car with a fresh coat of black, upper and lower grills, foglight covers, and lower lip, as it was looking pretty dull down there.

8/13/07 - Added a VDO boost gauge

8/16/07 - Blacked out front grill

2/13/08 - H&R Coilovers installed. Around this time I also put on an M3 lip spoiler and some Falken 452s.

2/17/08 - Yesterday I took out my suspension and changed out the regular nuts I used as top nuts with some nylocks, it was makin me nervous . So I took the time to clean up all the fenderwells, suspension, and wheels, also raised the back end a little bit, and dropped the front just a hair more. Measurements are 24" ground to fender in front and 24.5" in back. One shot from today:

2/19/08 - Installed a Carbonio V2. Love the sound and look. Will be replacing the foil on the heat shield soon.

Before:

After:

3/8/08 - Added a Neuspeed rear sway bar:

Around this time I replaced my boost gauge setup with an APR vent pod:

I added an OEM Audi Symphony head unit and Dension Icelink to control my iPod from the stock deck to replace the raggedy aftermarket setup the car came with.

Last month I replaced the oilpan because my ride height and train tracks don't mix well

Last week, my car got vandalized; egged and kicked. There's a bunch of dents all over the car and they shoved an egg in my sunroof. Comprehensive insurance will be covering almost an entire respray and a few new interior pieces

And a new turbo back exhaust should be on the way soon, as well as a tune.

Modified by sixfiveoh at 10:39 PM 7/9/2008
Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SixFiveOh's B5 A4 Progress Thread (sixfiveoh)

Just like your integra, this is a very interesting build. You made me hate Audi's a bit less Looks really nice, I like it!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Sweet Title

Default Re: SixFiveOh's B5 A4 Progress Thread (Fresh'86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fresh’86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just like your integra, this is a very interesting build. You made me hate Audi's a bit less Looks really nice, I like it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks dude

It's been really slow progress in the last year, I told myself I'd kinda stray away from doing stuff to cars, but I think this summer I really want to get a few things done to it
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

twinzies... sort of
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Sweet Title

Default Re: SixFiveOh's B5 A4 Progress Thread (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">twinzies... sort of
</TD></TR></TABLE>

DUDE.

I was trying to get those wheels! I was a little upset when I found that they only made them in 18x8 in 5x112, I wanted a little wider in the rear, but still... How much did you get them for? The car is gorgeous.

Lets trade, noone will notice 2 less cyl and 1 less turbo is great on gas
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sixfiveoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DUDE.

I was trying to get those wheels! I was a little upset when I found that they only made them in 18x8 in 5x112, I wanted a little wider in the rear, but still... How much did you get them for? The car is gorgeous.

Lets trade, noone will notice 2 less cyl and 1 less turbo is great on gas </TD></TR></TABLE>
eh, there's no point in running a staggered set on an audi. i picked them up for... i think $880? (brand new)

I sold the car to a guy in san louis obisbo a couple months ago. Rocking another coupe now. I hated getting 22mpg at 65-70 on the fwy.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Sweet Title

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eh, there's no point in running a staggered set on an audi. i picked them up for... i think $880? (brand new)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, hell of a price.

Take a closer look at the rear sway picture My car will hopefully be running a pretty aggressive staggered setup
Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">twinzies... sort of
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy ****! I love those rims. That car looks badass as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fresh’86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Holy ****! I love those rims. That car looks badass as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks. Now let's not hijack and get back to 650's thread
Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Sweet Title

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thanks. Now let's not hijack and get back to 650's thread </TD></TR></TABLE>

That car really changed a ton in my eyes from that simple swap in wheels. Made it so much cleaner.

I'm talking to a guy right now about a set of ultraleggeras, we'll see if he'll work with me on price though
Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sixfiveoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That car really changed a ton in my eyes from that simple swap in wheels. Made it so much cleaner.

I'm talking to a guy right now about a set of ultraleggeras, we'll see if he'll work with me on price though </TD></TR></TABLE>
well my wheel/tire combo went for 5k new, sold for $1300 plus stock wheels lol
you'd better be able to get a good deal
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Sweet Title

Nothing much, but I replaced my lip today. It was all screwed up plus it hung out on the sides because the mounting holes were torn. Old and new:

Also ordered the turbo back today, should be waiting for me when I'm back from Michigan next Thursday.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Sweet Title

Car went in for paint today Should be done by the time I get back from vacation, so excited to have a clean slate again... Will take before/after pics when the cars back. A few more things should be here by then too...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Sweet Title

Car was supposed to be done Friday, Monday, Today, and now they're saying Tomorrow. So we'll see how that goes. Exhaust didn't ship out until yesterday because of work complications with the seller. So everything kinda go pushed back. However, paychecks are around the corner and that means more useless crap for the car!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't wait to see it!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 AM

fap fap fap
Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell the shop you need the car back as it's your sole means of transportation and you're tired of taking the bus
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Sweet Title

Default Re: (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tell the shop you need the car back as it's your sole means of transportation and you're tired of taking the bus </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I told em

They didn't do a phenomenal job on the car. I mean they took out the main dents/creases, but left a few dimples higher up on the car (since it wasn't included in the claim... wtf?).

When I got there the guy explained that it was taking so long because they didn't get around to changing my sunroof shade yet. (An egg was lodged thru my cracked open sunroof) They said I could bring the car back to get it done another time if I wanted. I asked them if they could just return the part to Audi and if I could use the $$$ towards my deductible (there's not much egg in there, I just cleaned most of it up this morning anyways). He said sure, not a problem.

The part cost $391, the labor, $80 something. So I ended up paying $27 to take out some major dents/creases and for some paintwork

Anyways, finally got the tracking number of my APR exhaust this morning, and ordered another exhaust part last night to free up some flow
Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Sweet Title

Default Re: (sixfiveoh)

Finally got the exhaust in today. What a relief, for a while I thought I had been scammed. Shot the car's OEM bolts with PB blaster today to get it ready for the install as soon as the test pipe gets here.

The exhaust is APR, I like this company alot, have a few products of theirs on the car already, and am planning on going with their tune very soon, if not Unitronic. The downpipe/flexpipe section is brand new, but past that was used for a few thousand miles.

So I decided to clean up the rest a little bit, even though it'll bronze up a few hundred miles once it's on my car, I just want it to be squeaky clean when it goes on The piece I started working on is in the upper right corner of the first pic, you can see it's pretty much solid brown.

After a little working with steel wool and soapy water:

And a little more:

Finally, some metal polish applied then buffed off to give the final result:

Will finish the other pieces tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Sweet Title

Missed signature confirmation today by 25 minutes for the test pipe Have to pick it up at 8am tomorrow morning. Oh well, leaves more time to get new bolts and polish up the exhaust.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what's up Joe!!

It's looking good!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Sweet Title

Default Re: (Mr. TopFuel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. TopFuel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's up Joe!!

It's looking good!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

[b]Hey dude! How've you been?!

Well, decided to pull the ABS module tonight, it's been faulty the past few months and I found someone who will solder the faulty connection for a fraction of what bigger companies charge.

Had to pull the fenderliner and winshield fluid tank to get to some bolts, what a PITA.

Unit pulled off

And the module, which is being sent out

Thassit
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work. Car looks good
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Sweet Title

Default Re: (hb420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hb420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice work. Car looks good</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the exhaust was on sometime last week, took a bit of adjusting here and there, but paired with the test pipe, I can definitely feel a gain in power, and the turbo spools so quickly now. All I have are iPhone pics at the moment

This is a very stealth exhaust, one of the quietest on the market (which I thought I would like) but I can't help but want a little more oomph out of it, so I was thinking of having an exhaust shop weld in a piece to delete the resonator, but would like the option to put it back in if it got too loud for me.

Here are two ways I have thought about doing it:

Red: A straight pipe cutting across
Blue: A U-bend to sit in place of the resonator

Not sure though what I'll end up doing.

Anyways, the fixed ABS module should be in my mailbox soon. I also gave the car a detail over the weekend, took me about 5-6 hours with my orbital buffer. Holy crap I was exhausted, but she was in need, the body work swirled her up bad with their "complimentary detail"

Will post some more pics tonight
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take out the resonator man! It will sound bad ***.

On my S13. I'm running straight pipe to a muffler and it sounds so good.
Turbo cars sound great without a resonator.

Quick Reply: SixFiveOh's B5 A4 Progress Thread