Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car Speaker Amplified Wiring Layout - Suggestions? Thoughts? Will It Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Speaker Amplified Wiring Layout - Suggestions? Thoughts? Will It Work?

Here is a layout i made. I want to amplify my car speakers without ruining the stock wiring harness. So this is the wiring set up i planned out. Check it out, tell me if it will work, what you think, etc.

The connectors i bought just splice into the stock harness without cutting it. It takes no insulation off or anything, just makes a bridged connection to the other wire.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have an OEM or an aftermarket radio?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuckMyDOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an OEM or an aftermarket radio?</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- My set up ---

Head Unit:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...45981

Speakers: (Older Model - Same Thing)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...46605

Amp:
Don't have any pictures or info on hand. I know it will suffice for this set up. It's nothing serious, just want to push a bit more. It is a 2 Channel Amplifier and like 300-500rms. I forget.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mfoehrkolb)

i wouldn't use t taps and your head unit has 3sets of pre-outs just use two sets of rca's
Old 06-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spklsdb8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spklsdb8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldn't use t taps and your head unit has 3sets of pre-outs just use two sets of rca's </TD></TR></TABLE>

--- If i just use 2 sets of RCA's 2 from head unit, 2 from amplifier. That eliminates me having to run speaker wire? I thought i would have to run the RCA's + speaker wire.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Just use the rca wires from the deck to the amp. Then run wires from the amp to the harness and splice the wires into the harness from the deck. So if you look at the harness and the plug that connects the deck harness into the factory harness of the car the wires from the amp should connect to the corresponding wires that the deck harness uses so it connects to the corresponding wires to the factory harness. It works fine, I did it like that on my s2000 audio set up.

To make it look neat, you can zip tie it together with the rca wires that goes to the amp.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (simplypinoyy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simplypinoyy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just use the rca wires from the deck to the amp. Then run wires from the amp to the harness and splice the wires into the harness from the deck. So if you look at the harness and the plug that connects the deck harness into the factory harness of the car the wires from the amp should connect to the corresponding wires that the deck harness uses so it connects to the corresponding wires to the factory harness. It works fine, I did it like that on my s2000 audio set up.

To make it look neat, you can zip tie it together with the rca wires that goes to the amp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- What is using 2 set's of RCA's going to accomplish?

Also, that diagram makes sense. Thanks. I just don't want to ruin my stock harness, so splicing into the adapter harness makes a lot more sense.

Just to verify.

I am leaving stock harness intact, and leaving the adapter harness intact. I am using the splice less connectors and that will hold the amperage fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you only planning on using a 2 channel amp instead of a 4 channel?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 PM

yes... the original wiring to the speakers that they had on the car should be fine. I never had a problem with it. The 2 rca wires Im assuming that you will have one for the 2 channel amp and the other for another amp for the sub. If i had mentioned two then it is my mistake. lol i was just typing while thinking of how it was in my s2000.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are you only planning on using a 2 channel amp instead of a 4 channel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- I don't want to run individual wires to every speaker. I wanted to just use 1 channel for the front speakers, and 1 channel for the rear speakers. Also, i have 3 amp's available to me. 1 i have no clue on the rms rating, another i got for free and is like 300-400rms (brand new still in the box), and the other i have from when i had subs in my car. I decided subs aren't my style, and giving that to my girlfriend. Just amplify my in car speakers, they will sound perfectly fine.

Basically. I didn't spend any money on this system, it was all given to me. Head unit, speakersx4 from my friends rx7. Brand new in box amp from my father. He got it as a present and doesn't use it. So yeah. Just didn't want to run new wires for speakers and or cut into my stock harness. Just want to get them amplified under these conditions.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM

Well I had that set up on my s2000 and I didnt experience any difficulties at all and I heard the difference clearly when raising and lowering the gain lvls and also other tunings in the amp. If you are worried about the amperage you can always rewire... but again I reiterate you will be fine with the factory wires that connects to the speakers.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need to run individual wires to every speaker. You're better off with a 4 channel amp. Just take all four wire sets from the amp to your radio harness and connect them there, same as in the diagram above.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and if you really MUST use your 2 channel amp, you're better off connecting it as left and right instead of front and rear
Old 06-27-2008, 03:15 PM

I agree because you will be able to fine tune whether to front to back ratio... but then again how often do you really have more power to the front than back or vise versa?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't need to run individual wires to every speaker. You're better off with a 4 channel amp. Just take all four wire sets from the amp to your radio harness and connect them there, same as in the diagram above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- Okay, but the fact still remains. I don't have a 4 channel amp at my disposal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuckMyDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and if you really MUST use your 2 channel amp, you're better off connecting it as left and right instead of front and rear</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- I would think front and rear would be better because, just sometimes you gotta turn the rears off. Someone is on the phone, baby in the back, etc. Idk, just more logical to have front and rear wired together.

What is your logic behind the left and right instead of what i had planned out?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simplypinoyy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are worried about the amperage you can always rewire... but again I reiterate you will be fine with the factory wires that connects to the speakers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- Not worried that the wires are going to fry up. Just was wondering if with those splice less connectors if the sound quality would be the same. I didn't know if that "bridged" connection would be fine for the minor set up i plan on running.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 AM

No the wires wont fry no matter how high u turn up the amp, i've tried to turn up my amp for my door speakers and all i got is a blown speaker lol. (btw the speakers were old alpine type S) Bridging will be ok, I've bridged 2 subs into a 900 watt mono amp and that'll be fine. As far as connection of the wires I would honestly rather have different speaker wires into each of the speaker wires then bridge at the amp. If you try that out you'll see that it'll be fine.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Speaker Amplified Wiring Layout - Suggestions? Thoughts? Will It Work? (Mfoehrkolb)

Dude if you use a 2 channel amp to power 4 speakers, 2 very awful things will happen:

1. running 2 4 ohm speakers on one channel will drop the resistance at the amp to 2 ohms, which allows more noise into the system.

2. By using the left channel for the front speakers and the right channel for the rears like you described, you will lose STEREO. Instead of the stereo recording playing back as left to right, it'll be front to back.

If you MUST use a 2 channel to power all 4 speakers, do like suckmydohc suggested and connect the 2 left speakers to the left channel and both rights to right channel. At least that way you'll have stereo, believe me it will sound MUCH better.

Honestly I would rather run deck power than use a 2 channel for all 4 spkrs. Especially with type S's. If you want to put the 2 channel to use, use it to power the front speakers (which make about 75% of the sound you hear in the driver's seat) and keep the rears on deck power. Problem solved.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Speaker Amplified Wiring Layout - Suggestions? Thoughts? Will It Work? (salomon16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by salomon16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If you want to put the 2 channel to use, use it to power the front speakers (which make about 75% of the sound you hear in the driver's seat) and keep the rears on deck power. Problem solved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- I never even thought of that. The reasoning behind my wanting to amplify my car speakers is because all i hear are the rears. I listen to screamo and metal etc. and when i listen to the music in my car. I literally have it blasting ssoo loud.

What do you mean by more noise? I don't know much about this, and i don't know much technical. Like you said 4ohm to 2ohm. I have no clue what the difference is.

Is there anything wrong with these speakers? I mean, they worked fine for me in the past, and they worked fine for my friends.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simplypinoyy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No the wires wont fry no matter how high u turn up the amp, i've tried to turn up my amp for my door speakers and all i got is a blown speaker lol. (btw the speakers were old alpine type S) Bridging will be ok, I've bridged 2 subs into a 900 watt mono amp and that'll be fine. As far as connection of the wires I would honestly rather have different speaker wires into each of the speaker wires then bridge at the amp. If you try that out you'll see that it'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

--- When i said bridging, i meant just that connector. Not bridging the connections on the amp itself. Just bridging the main wire on the harness to the speaker wires from the amp.