Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To: Install A/C air conditioning in a 92-95 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Install A/C air conditioning in a 92-95 Civic

Ok, let me premise this with my car is a 1994 Civic that came from Canada with NO A/C. That's the way it came from the factory - no A/C. It may or may not have had all the parts commonly associated with USDM cars.

Having said that, I purchased a complete A/C system off a fellow member of HT to install in my car that came with no A/C from the factory.

First step - remove the glove box.

First thing is first, remove the glove box. You do not need to remove the entire dash. Removing the glove box will allow you more than enough room to do everything you need to do inside the cab.

After the glove box is removed (it's very simple, 3-4 screws) you are left with a view of this:

The two red arrows show you which two phillips head screws to take out and the red circle highlights the plug that you will need to un-do later on during the process. I highly advise removing the (in the case of my car) 3 phillips head screws and one 10mm bolt that holds that silver glove box support. It makes the job a whole lot easier.

I'm not going to lie, it's a bitch to get the center unit out of there. I had to break the lower left portion of plastic (pointed at in green) in order to get the damned thing out. After I broke that part, it fell out pretty easy.

Before I forget, http://www.hondaautomotivepart....html here is a link for a walk-through of how to install A/C.

And this is how it looks (minus the 1/0 wire) after you remove the center section:

This is what the external (inside the engine bay) view looked like:

Notice the lack of battery. You'll want to remove the battery and battery tray at/before this point. I don't have an engine-bay battery, so this was easier for me than most people on here. I have two Power Master batteries behind my seats in the cabin.

When I un-boxed my A/C I noticed that the A/C system had been outside for a long period of time. Either that, or it was the most neglected A/C system in history. Here is a shot of the unit when I got it:

And here it is after I cleaned it up (vacuum and pliers getting the crud off):

You'll then want to remove the two factory rubber/foam behind them grommets showcased here in the red circles:

The center piece is used to secure the new A/C unit and the upper, taller oval, unit is used to push through the firewall. The lower left piece is for the drain.

You then put the main unit into place:

I found out there is a difference between USDM and CADM cars:

So I tapped into (strip back just a little bit of the insulation on your factory harness and solder in the new plug. that way it retains your factory harness) the factory harness as demonstrated below:

I will edit this thread with the progress, but that's all for now. PS: Making new holes for the twin runs of 1/0 gauge took ~1.5 hours worth of drilling and de-burring, which was a major setback.

Modified by Electrodynamic at 5:24 AM 6/15/2008

Modified by Electrodynamic at 5:24 AM 6/15/2008

*Day Two!*

First let me start off by saying the process above took me a lot longer than what I did today. Man, inside the cab is a bitch. Anyway, on with the pics:

I got a wiring harness from Beavers Honda (it came with the relays attached to it - score!). To install the wiring harness you need to locate the a/c harness plug on the left hand side of the car near the headlight and remove the dummy plug like this:

Connect the harnesses together.

Pull the radiator back by dis-connecting the bracket at the top via one 10mm bolts and also dis-connecting the overflow (white plastic) bottle via two 10mm bolts.

The walk-through that someone posted under this post shows you how and where to plug the plastic holders into the front of the car inbetween the radiator and the bumper.

Next I started installing the lines one-by-one. It takes some time to figure out what lines go where, but you'll figure it out (the walk-through I mentioned earlier is really good at showing you what lines go where).

Here are the two lines attached at the firewall:

And the line that goes under the radiator and over to the compressor:

The condensor I received was the wrong one. The rubber feet were on top.

So I took the rubber feet off the top and placed them in the holes at the bottom where they should have been:

I then used long bolts to secure the condensor at the bottom. I am going to make two brackets to secure it at the top. (I'll show you more later when I get it done). For the mean time I used zip ties to secure it.

I highly advise securing the relays AFTER you install the condensor. If you put the relays in first it's a bitch to drop the condensor in. Here's a pic of where the relays go:

...and that's all I got done today. It was considerably easier to do the work under the hood than it was to do the work under the dash.

I couldn't help it though - I cleaned my engine bay while I was in there (the painted body panels, anyway). You can't really tell but it was really dirty before!

Modified by Electrodynamic at 10:39 PM 6/22/2008

Last edited by deschlong; 05-28-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Only one pic left crawled by archive.org ... oh well
Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good. im going to be installing ac into my ek soon, hopefully its easy.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mnskateboarder)

A/C FTW
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PS: I'll be updating this thread when I get more parts (right now I need the A/C wiring harness to go any further).
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Re: (Electrodynamic)

actually there is no difference in wiring from us to canada the you car is a 1994 and the a/c system u bought was for a 92-93 civic just to let you know 92-93 used r12 system and the 94-95 used r134a the 92-93 system under the dash used a small 2 wire plug and the 94-95 used a larger 3 wire plug
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in for updates for a friend
Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump just what i needed since i bought a complete system for my cx too
Old 06-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info superfast666! Hopefully the rest of it under the hood is the same regarding the wiring harness.

The little radiator is completely different - I'm going to have to make mounting brackets in order to make it sit down where it's supposed to. I'll post pics with regard to what I'm talking about.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info superfast666! Hopefully the rest of it under the hood is the same regarding the wiring harness.

The little radiator is completely different - I'm going to have to make mounting brackets in order to make it sit down where it's supposed to. I'll post pics with regard to what I'm talking about.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Install A/C air conditioning in a 92-95 Civic (Electrodynamic)

did you weight how heavy the whole a/c system is? Interested to know
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVERYTHING will fit in 92-95 Honda Civic all models. I promise you, I have tried ALL of it. Only thing you need to make sure is...if you use a R12(92,93) AC unit then it must be ALL R12. If you use R134a(94,95) then it must ALL be R134a. Both R12 and R134a will fit in any year and model car, it's just they will not fit with each other. The thermostat that has different harness under the glove box is removeable. Example. If you have a 92 or 93 civic and it has only a 2 plug harness; then you can remove a thermostat off a 92 or 93 R12 AC system and use it for an R134a AC system or 94, 95 Civics. Vise versa.

Make sure to flush the system with AC flush fluid. You cannot flush through the compressor or drier. The evaporator requires you to remove the valve in order to flush. I do not recommend any other fluid beside AC flush fluid. I also recommend if you are using R134a to flush the compressor with PAG 46 oil and refill back to spec with PAG 46 oil afterwards. R12 Ac compressor requires different oil, so make sure you have the correct oil for the correct compressor. If you are using R12 AC system use ONLY R12 freon. If you are using R134a AC system then use ONLY R134a freon. Before charging the system make sure you evacuate the system. Meaning; you have to vacuumn the AC system to at least -25psi(30psi is perfect vacumm). Leave it there for atleast 30 min. to make sure you have no leak and to boil off any excess fluid that might still be in your lines.

I recommend putting R134a AC system in all models Civics. Because the freon bottles are a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper. The R134a is a lot easier to work with also due to most of the R12 parts and items are off the market due to not being so enviromentally friendly. So having said his; reminder if you are going to use a R134a then make sure you take a thermostat off a 92, 93 ONLY IF you have a 92, 93 Civic. If you have a 94, 95 Civic then get 100% R134a.

Things you need:

Compressor - can be found under power steering

Belt w/ tensioner - near compressor

Low side AC hose - Bigger hose connecting compressor to evaporator

High side AC hose - Smaller hose connecting compressor to condensor to drier to evaporator

Drier - Near/next to where you fill up your windshield wipers fluid

Condensor - Next to radiator (condensor is on driver side)

Evaporator w/ theromostat - Behind glove box

Ac wireharness. - Starts from passenger headlight/airbox area, goes between radiator and bumper all the way to driver side headlight.

AC button. - On center console.

This could be very confusing at first so good luck. If you guys have any questions feel free to email me anytime at mikenguyen85@hotmail.com I will be glad to help you out. I once was mind boggle about all these AC **** until I had to learn the hard way and now I would like to help anyone so they do not needto go through what I went through for a cold car cabin.

Modified by lv6l at 3:08 AM 6/22/2008
Old 06-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Install A/C air conditioning in a 92-95 Civic (Electrodynamic)

http://www.ackits.com/

if you need any parts or info, you can't beat this place.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Original post has been edited with my second day progress.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Sol to Sol

I can't tell what you cleaned between the 4th and 5th pic??

The fins on that need to breathe to cool the cabin, and they are clogged in both pics.

Anyway, good luck, thx for the pics and writeup.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh wow and i was just wondering how hard it would be, looks good man, complete the guy though so we could all try it out :D i am deff going to put a/c on my car but not until next summer but ill sure do it un sprint or just work on it during winter time just so i have enough time in case anything goes wrong :D THANKS THOUGH THANKS A LOT MAN ! :D
Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How To: Install A/C air conditioning in a 92-95 Civic (dsmh8tr)

Great write up I have wanted to swap AC into my car for a while now........just didnt want to be the pioneer lol
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The fins were clogged in the first pic but there's only a small portion in the second pic that is still clogged. The fins are dirty but I removed a lot of junk. The areas that are clogged are mostly behind the lines, so hopefully it'll cool decently after I cleaned it up. I'll keep you guys posted though.

PS: this wasn't the cleanest a/c system - I've gone through two rolls of paper towels and half a bottle of Super Clean trying to clean it up. I've also got to purchase a new dryer. It was nasty.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Sol to Sol

Oh ok. I see it now. I'd still clean up the right side too. get some brass brushes and use the fine ones, or a fin cleaner tool.

You HAVE to replace the dryer EVERYTIME the system is opened. Otherwise it won't take the water out and your system wont work.

You may also want to put a new expansion valve in, and an inline filter https://www.ackits.com/pc/1312...ilter wouldn't hurt.

Good luck, and keep it up.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EVERYTHING will fit in 92-95 Honda Civic all models. I promise you, I have tried ALL of it. Only thing you need to make sure is...if you use a R12(92,93) AC unit then it must be ALL R12. If you use R134a(94,95) then it must ALL be R134a. Both R12 and R134a will fit in any year and model car, it's just they will not fit with each other. The thermostat that has different harness under the glove box is removeable. Example. If you have a 92 or 93 civic and it has only a 2 plug harness; then you can remove a thermostat off a 92 or 93 R12 AC system and use it for an R134a AC system or 94, 95 Civics. Vise versa.

Make sure to flush the system with AC flush fluid. You cannot flush through the compressor or drier. The evaporator requires you to remove the valve in order to flush. I do not recommend any other fluid beside AC flush fluid. I also recommend if you are using R134a to flush the compressor with PAG 46 oil and refill back to spec with PAG 46 oil afterwards. R12 Ac compressor requires different oil, so make sure you have the correct oil for the correct compressor. If you are using R12 AC system use ONLY R12 freon. If you are using R134a AC system then use ONLY R134a freon. Before charging the system make sure you evacuate the system. Meaning; you have to vacuumn the AC system to at least -25psi(30psi is perfect vacumm). Leave it there for atleast 30 min. to make sure you have no leak and to boil off any excess fluid that might still be in your lines.

I recommend putting R134a AC system in all models Civics. Because the freon bottles are a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper. The R134a is a lot easier to work with also due to most of the R12 parts and items are off the market due to not being so enviromentally friendly. So having said his; reminder if you are going to use a R134a then make sure you take a thermostat off a 92, 93 ONLY IF you have a 92, 93 Civic. If you have a 94, 95 Civic then get 100% R134a.

Things you need:

Compressor - can be found under power steering

Belt w/ tensioner - near compressor

Low side AC hose - Bigger hose connecting compressor to evaporator

High side AC hose - Smaller hose connecting compressor to condensor to drier to evaporator

Drier - Near/next to where you fill up your windshield wipers fluid

Condensor - Next to radiator (condensor is on driver side)

Evaporator w/ theromostat - Behind glove box

Ac wireharness. - Starts from passenger headlight/airbox area, goes between radiator and bumper all the way to driver side headlight.

AC button. - On center console.

This could be very confusing at first so good luck. If you guys have any questions feel free to email me anytime at mikenguyen85@hotmail.com I will be glad to help you out. I once was mind boggle about all these AC **** until I had to learn the hard way and now I would like to help anyone so they do not needto go through what I went through for a cold car cabin.

Modified by lv6l at 3:08 AM 6/22/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

other than the under dash harness will the r12 system accept r13 gas? I'm doing mine now and used mostly 95 del sol and civic parts. Found out 2 different things so far...
1. one of the hard lines from the firewall out is different diameter. 92-93 is smaller and 94-95 is bigger.
2. the harness in the engine is a tad different in that there are 2 wires that are in different positions at the plug near the air box so I just repinned them.

As for everything else, it looks like it'll work execpt I have a 92-93 compressor and condensor...will it accept the r13 gas/oil?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kwest10)

Del sol are about just the same as Civics from year 92-95. In my post, plain and simple, parts from 92-93 are all the same and will work with each other only. Parts from 94-95 again are all the same parts and will work with each other only.
92-93 uses R12 freon only. You can try to convert a R12 AC system to run on R134a but it's not as easy and will not work correctly.

94-95 uses R134a freon only. It's much cheaper to get R134a freon bottles. Wal-mart sells them for 6.88 a bottle. If you are located near me I can tell you a place that sells R12 replacements for about 7-8 bucks a pop. That is by far the cheapest way of getting R12 I can find.

To your comments/questions kwest10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kwest10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. one of the hard lines from the firewall out is different diameter. 92-93 is smaller and 94-95 is bigger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, all components off a 94-95 AC system is overall bigger due to the different type of freon that is used. R12 and R134a have different boiling points therefore requires different components and will not work properly if you use the incorrect freon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kwest10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. the harness in the engine is a tad different in that there are 2 wires that are in different positions at the plug near the air box so I just repinned them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The harness itself that plugs at the air box. I have check all 92-95 Civics and it looks like it's all the same and it plugs right in and all wires seem to match up. I have not yet able to find a Del sol but if you say it's a tad bit different then thank you for the info. I will keep that in mind for future reference.

As for everything else, it looks like it'll work execpt I have a 92-93 compressor and condensor...will it accept the r13 gas/oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm. I'm a bit confuse by your statement. You said you are using MOSTLY 95 Del sol parts and Civics. Well, from what you said I am guessing you mixed up quite a few components. If you are using parts from a 95 Del sol then that falls into the R134a AC system and now you MUST use parts from ONLY 94-95. If you use 92-93 parts it may fit due to it's smaller but trust me, it will leak. 92-93 compressor and condenser physically will take R134a freon but it will not work properly and will reduce the performance of your AC unit.

Bottom line, stick to one freon for all the people that wants AC. Start out by picking would you want to use R12 freon or R134a freon, from there which ever freon type you decide, stick to the years of the car you are planning to part from.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Del sol are about just the same as Civics from year 92-95. In my post, plain and simple, parts from 92-93 are all the same and will work with each other only. Parts from 94-95 again are all the same parts and will work with each other only.
92-93 uses R12 freon only. You can try to convert a R12 AC system to run on R134a but it's not as easy and will not work correctly.

94-95 uses R134a freon only. It's much cheaper to get R134a freon bottles. Wal-mart sells them for 6.88 a bottle. If you are located near me I can tell you a place that sells R12 replacements for about 7-8 bucks a pop. That is by far the cheapest way of getting R12 I can find.

To your comments/questions kwest10

Yes, all components off a 94-95 AC system is overall bigger due to the different type of freon that is used. R12 and R134a have different boiling points therefore requires different components and will not work properly if you use the incorrect freon.

The harness itself that plugs at the air box. I have check all 92-95 Civics and it looks like it's all the same and it plugs right in and all wires seem to match up. I have not yet able to find a Del sol but if you say it's a tad bit different then thank you for the info. I will keep that in mind for future reference.

Hmm. I'm a bit confuse by your statement. You said you are using MOSTLY 95 Del sol parts and Civics. Well, from what you said I am guessing you mixed up quite a few components. If you are using parts from a 95 Del sol then that falls into the R134a AC system and now you MUST use parts from ONLY 94-95. If you use 92-93 parts it may fit due to it's smaller but trust me, it will leak. 92-93 compressor and condenser physically will take R134a freon but it will not work properly and will reduce the performance of your AC unit.

Bottom line, stick to one freon for all the people that wants AC. Start out by picking would you want to use R12 freon or R134a freon, from there which ever freon type you decide, stick to the years of the car you are planning to part from.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what specifically makes one system the R12 vs. r13 system? compressor, dryer, lines etc?
Here are the parts I have from the 95 del/civic
big foam covered hard lines,
under dash unit.

92-93 parts,
drier (need a new one anway so I can get the 95)
harness (only differnece was the positioning of 2 wires which were repinned)
compressor
evaporator (other radiator looking thing)
fan
smaller hard lines.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kwest10)

yeah, the r12 doesn't seem to work. When I bought my 95 civic, it didn't come with a/c (previous owner took it out), so I found a r12 a/c system...installed it and converted the connectors to accept the r134a fittings. It didn't work...still blows hot/warm air. A year later, when I vented the system in my garage , nothing came out...no green liquid, etc. Must of leaked somwhere during the duration of the year. By the way, had it vac. at a shop and checked for leaks...found no major leak at the time.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I basically bought the same set-up a kwest10 thinking it was all the same,but the 95 underdash unit and foam covered lines coming off the firewall wont screw on to the rest of the system which is r-12a...so now im searcing for a complete 95 system
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (66fasty)

so are the R12 systems worth anything? do they fit EF's and DA?

Quick Reply: How To: Install A/C air conditioning in a 92-95 Civic