Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAMBER KIT

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAMBER KIT

hey guys, i lowered my car (1.5 inches) but think its a little lower then that, maybe 2 inches. and my tires wore to the cords in 2 months. i am going to get a camber kit and not sure if they are hard to install, and what ones to get. someone told me even the cheap ones work the smae, so if anyone installed them before let me know if they work good, which ones and maybe som pics if u got them. thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (CivicExMaster)

You don't need a camber kit, you need an alignment.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

camber kits are easy to install, but make sure you get it aligned after you install the kit. installed one on my 2000 coupe and it was very easy and i lowered it almost 3.5 inches with coilovers. all the camber kit is, is an adjustable control arm.

i purchased mine off ebay(sorry to those who hate ebay). it's cheaper if you buy the front and rear as a combo. i think it will run you somewhere around a 140.00 bucks after shipping. i will also make a note that Quality products can be purchased off ebay just without the brand name.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (Nichelson_Performance)

get an alignment. skip the camber kit.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (ejprimo)

well i thought that you needed a cmaber kit because the tires are now riding on the inside of the tires due to it being lowered. if i can just get it aligned and the tires will stop wearing i will just do that???
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 PM

camber kits are for girls
Old 04-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (d.a ryda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d.a ryda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">camber kits are for girls </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 04-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id say go with an alignment first if anything save urself some money. unless u want the extra adjustability from a camber kit for racing or whatever jus get the alignment and maybe some new tires
Old 04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (d357r0y)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d357r0y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't need a camber kit, you need an alignment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x100

I know ppl that have driven 2+ years almost tucking rim. No camber kits. A proper alignment and not a hint of treadwear.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (97Ej6mike)

how could they correct the camber without a kit? maybe the front u can some how, but the rear, i cant think of a way to correct it, besides using washers
Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (egb18c5)

I went to a great shop for my EJ sedan when i dropped it a good 3 inches and They said my ebay front camber arms ( ball joints included ) were actually pretty decent. You NEED a camber kit ( I have friends in the wheel business ) an alignment cant adjust camber enough to compensate for that much drop. I am going to camber out the back here soon because I couln't afford to before.... but they shimmed out the back with washers enough that i don't have a lot of wear. I HIGHLY reccomend camber kits.... do it once, and do it right.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Shenanigans

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (egb18c5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egb18c5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how could they correct the camber without a kit? maybe the front u can some how, but the rear, i cant think of a way to correct it, besides using washers</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not the camber thats causing the extreme wear on the inner rib, its the toe

when you lower your car your alignment is thown off, toe will cause your tires to wear terribly on the outer ridge, camber is a slight gradual wear from edge to edge...all a camber kit is really good for is adjusting camber for a lowered vehicle that needs camber so the tire doesnt rub.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (d.a ryda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its not the camber thats causing the extreme wear on the inner rib, its the toe

when you lower your car your alignment is thown off, toe will cause your tires to wear terribly on the outer ridge, camber is a slight gradual wear from edge to edge...all a camber kit is really good for is adjusting camber for a lowered vehicle that needs camber so the tire doesnt rub. </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emergencybm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id say go with an alignment first if anything save urself some money. unless u want the extra adjustability from a camber kit for racing or whatever jus get the alignment and maybe some new tires </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2</TD></TR></TABLE>

DUD!!!!!! WTF!!! does any body know what the word alignment means?????????!!!!!!! It means to align the wheel to the proper manufactured specs. If it doesnt have adjustable arms well its NOT ALIGNED! The only adjustments from factory on a honda is toe... so yeah they can straighten out the toe but that doesn't mean its aligned. When your car is truly aligned your tires will last a long time (well that is if your suspension is in good conditions) without wearing out in the inside, outside, cupping, or feathering. Dud save money and tires and get your camber kits front and rear please. ...then get an "alignment" believe me the manufactures spend a lot of time figuring out the angles that your car will work the best with so put all angles back into specs. Which in most hondas is 0.0 degrees of camber in the front and -1.0 degrees in the back. with 0.0 of toe in the front and +.1of toe in the back.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (hondaboostin)

get a camber kti and an alighment
Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of good information here from guys that KNOW, not just think they know https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1976171
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaboostin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DUD!!!!!! WTF!!! does any body know what the word alignment means?????????!!!!!!! It means to align the wheel to the proper manufactured specs. If it doesnt have adjustable arms well its NOT ALIGNED! The only adjustments from factory on a honda is toe... so yeah they can straighten out the toe but that doesn't mean its aligned. When your car is truly aligned your tires will last a long time (well that is if your suspension is in good conditions) without wearing out in the inside, outside, cupping, or feathering. Dud save money and tires and get your camber kits front and rear please. ...then get an "alignment" believe me the manufactures spend a lot of time figuring out the angles that your car will work the best with so put all angles back into specs. Which in most hondas is 0.0 degrees of camber in the front and -1.0 degrees in the back. with 0.0 of toe in the front and +.1of toe in the back. </TD></TR></TABLE>

okay definitely don't listen to this guy or anyone else who tells you to waste your money on a camber kit. It is only worth while if you dropped your car 2.5 inches or more. By the way O CAMBER is insanely untrue and stupid. No car runs with zero camber, your handling would be awful. Get a proper alignment which will place your toe at 0 and will help with your tire wear problem. You can even ask an alignment shop and they will tell you the same. Camber kit is not needed for a 1.5 inch drop. Plus if you did waste your money on a camber kit you would have to waste even more on an alignment because shops charge extra if a car is equipped with a camber kit because they must do more work. Point blank don't waste your money with a camber kit, just get an alignment.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Shenanigans

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaboostin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DUD!!!!!! WTF!!! does any body know what the word alignment means?????????!!!!!!! It means to align the wheel to the proper manufactured specs. If it doesnt have adjustable arms well its NOT ALIGNED! The only adjustments from factory on a honda is toe... so yeah they can straighten out the toe but that doesn't mean its aligned. When your car is truly aligned your tires will last a long time (well that is if your suspension is in good conditions) without wearing out in the inside, outside, cupping, or feathering. Dud save money and tires and get your camber kits front and rear please. ...then get an "alignment" believe me the manufactures spend a lot of time figuring out the angles that your car will work the best with so put all angles back into specs. Which in most hondas is 0.0 degrees of camber in the front and -1.0 degrees in the back. with 0.0 of toe in the front and +.1of toe in the back. </TD></TR></TABLE>

camber causes your car to pull it has a wearing effect on tires but nowhere near as drastic as toe does. if he wore to the chords in 2 months thats toe. if he has no pulling isues, doesnt plan on tracking his car alot, and doesnt need the camber to fit his tire under the fender he really doesnt need the kit. toe and go baby
Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: CAMBER KIT (H22Ej1)

exactly
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaboostin

DUD!!!!!! WTF!!! does any body know what the word alignment means?????????!!!!!!! It means to align the wheel to the proper manufactured specs. If it doesnt have adjustable arms well its NOT ALIGNED! The only adjustments from factory on a honda is toe... so yeah they can straighten out the toe but that doesn't mean its aligned. When your car is truly aligned your tires will last a long time (well that is if your suspension is in good conditions) without wearing out in the inside, outside, cupping, or feathering. Dud save money and tires and get your camber kits front and rear please. ...then get an "alignment" believe me the manufactures spend a lot of time figuring out the angles that your car will work the best with so put all angles back into specs. Which in most hondas is 0.0 degrees of camber in the front and -1.0 degrees in the back. with 0.0 of toe in the front and +.1of toe in the back.
It's true that camber is part of an alignment.

It's important to know, though, that camber is not a major tire wearing angle. It is, however, a major UPPER BALL JOINT wearing angle. There are also other issues on using camber for a factory stock application. Tire wear is one of them, but camber doesn't actually CAUSE it (unless you're only doing burn outs or ONLY driving in a straight line always). Camber does facilitate it, however.

Toe is THE major tire wearing angle.

One of the other problems with using lots of neg. camber from the factory may be slightly decreased adverse weather traction.

There's also the issue of nessecity. Civics are econo cars. They can be adapted to be "sporty", but the great majority of them start as econoboxes. A large number also STAY econoboxes. Gramma's 35+ mpg grocery getter doesnt need neg. camber.

The front upper ball joints wear prematurely from camber as well. They're not really designed for that angle of stress. This is one of the only places that a camber kit comes in handy. You can change the ball joint angle and still have camber without putting a weird stress angle on the ball joint.

As you load in passengers or junk in the trunk, the camber will go more and more negative. Since toe changes at this point as well, the resulting toe change coupled with the excess camber will chew the F out of the inside of the tire.

For Honda, the cons of neg. camber outweigh the pros.

HOWEVER, if you actually lowered your car because you wanted it to HANDLE WELL, then negative camber is your friend if it's used in the right amounts. If you buy the camber kit, you're really wasting your money in a few different ways:

1.) 0 camber doesn't do much for handling. It's a bad idea. You lowered your car to handle better...and then blindly 0 out an angle that is beneficial?

2.) You dont need a camber kit to save your tires. Unless you're doing burn outs or ONLY driving in straight lines, you dont need one. Fix the toe. Toe changes when any other angle changes.

3.) 0 degrees of camber will chew up the outside of your tire under hard cornering. Since I road race, I use neg. camber to make my tires wear MORE evenly. Even on my DD, the neg. camber doesn't wear the tires unevenly by much. I've had -3 degrees on a civic, and my tires only had a 1/32'' tread dept delta from edge to edge. That's nothing. That was my DD.

4.) Adding an adjustable angle increases the cost of your alignment. Civics are adjustable for toe only. The alignment shop may charge you more $$ to adjust a newly added angle adjustment.

OP: 1.5-2'' of lowering will net around -1.5-2 degrees of neg. camber. Not a big deal at all. Get your car aligned for toe. Done.

If you drag race or do burn outs, buy the camber kit and set it to 0.

Modified by B serious at 11:39 AM 4/21/2008
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Coles notes: Get your camber kit and don't listen to people calling you a girl for getting them, they don't know what their talking about.
Camber kit + alignment = money saved on tires!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (suno)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Coles notes: Get your camber kit and don't listen to people calling you a girl for getting them, they don't know what their talking about.
Camber kit + alignment = money saved on tires!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ORLY?!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (suno)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Coles notes: Get your camber kit and don't listen to people calling you a girl for getting them, they don't know what their talking about.
Camber kit + alignment = money saved on tires!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please OP listen to either me, Bserious, or H22 and whomever else agreed with us. You don't need a camber kit plain and simple. Save your money. You do realize we all gave you actual facts to back our point of view. and people like suno just gave you their opinion. enough said.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (spivt11)

people are dumb.

look at the angle of my front wheels, those tires half 75% tread after 6 months and 1x,xxx miles. before that, i ran cooper zeon zpt for 20 months and the tires were still good enough to include in a trade. all because i had a good alignment
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (speedooo)

negative camber ruined my tires but not for a long time and that was everything from long trips to racing at the track and my civic is crushed 3.5 inches. true what everyone else is saying, camber is not a major wear factor, TOE is, but a camber kit is still worth it in the long run if you plan on lowering you car even more.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have always understood that it is toe that ruins the tires, so I'd say get an alignment before you get the camber kit.

Quick Reply: CAMBER KIT