Group Threads Club, Large Multi-Region Group, "Squad" Discussions

** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2

Just had email convo with my wife. I was fishing for a status update on the foggies. Here is how the convo went. lol.

Me: What's that status?
Her: Status of what?

Me: Don't play games with my emotions smokey!
Her: What, you tard?

Me: You know what I'm talking about. There be two of them. Their nice and round and put a smile on my face.
Her: You perve. Well see.

Me: I'm not talking about those... haha. So you didn't get them yet?
Her: They have been ordered bitch lover!

I got a tracking number for them. They should be here in by Thursday.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bahahah! very nice jason! made me lol for a sec
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I got too much of a kick outta that convo. I was rotflmao!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sir Ash
its dual

I really like to. I will do more research and how to's about it. If I mess up then I'll just call a mechanic over
Ohhhh yeaaa! Forgot. If you mess up, you can kill the engine. It's still easy tho Ash, easy as lining up the cam gears on the timing cover, removing the belt and putting the new one on. Duals are a little more crammed and harder to get your hands in there, but still doable at home.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RareSpirits
Yes we do LOL... we can patiently wait for pics, after paint has cured no rush

So a few days ago we were chiming back and forth about climate controls. Now that I have my cluster, my interior has been bugging me, not to mention my front seats are pasts it's usable life I think. So I figured, let's brainstorm this climate control issue some more. I know Jason/Mallard was able to get his NAV to work after intensive behind the dash work.

Now since there are 2 main options lets discuss those
96+ EK4 Climate control

1. what needs to be done to get this working fully functional in a 96-98 civic?
This system is not as hard as people might think. It is not too far off the 99-00 USDM setup and since it does not require all the extra stuff the full digital Navi system requires it's not too costly. You will need a EK4 Auto Climate control, Matching climate control wire-harness(attaches across face of airboxes) or a 99-00 USDM Climate control wire harness. If you use the wire harness from the 99-00 USDM Civic you will need to rewire the servos for the air mixture controls and the temperature control. This is pretty easy, so don't freak about it. If you have a 96-98 Civic you will also need 4 PIN Power Transistor to replace the 3 PIN Blower Motor Resistor that came in your car stock. Since the fan motor box that houses this piece of electronics is near identical you can modify it to fit the larger 4 PIN unit, or just purchase a 99-00 USDM Blower Motor box that already has the 4 PIN Transistor. All USDM Civics from 96-00 will also require a 2 wire EVAP Thermostat so the auto climate control can monitor and adjust the internal temperate of the car as needed. I don't have the part number, but you can get this from a 2006+ Civic Si.

2. is it worth the hassle?
I don't think it worth the hassel for most people, but I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. I will let you decide.

3. shut up and love your stock
That's an option. If you are lazy and suck at wiring, this option is for you.
96+ EK4 + NAV

1. what needs to be done to get this working fully functional in a 96/8 civic US maps? ( we know a transponder/bandwith expander is req'd to accept our additional frequencies. )
This system requires the same identical pieces as the regular EK4 Auto Climate control. However, it does require addtitional electronics. You also need a a EK4/EK9 RHD dash harness with a built-in Navigation sub-harness, and lower navigation support bracket to mount and secure it in the dash. You also need a EK4 Lower Tape Deck, because the circuit board for the audio controls is inside it. In addition you also need the navigation software disk, Gathers SA-196 Media Tuner and wire harness. There is a satellite antenna that monitors traffic via road sensors, but since your not in Japan you don't need that. You can install the FM band expander if you want, but I think you will have much more pleasure from installing an XM Black Box Like I did. That will allow you to pipe in a satellite feed into the system and get a lot more channels. Like anything, it also requires a monthy subscription fee.

2. is this setup worth the hassle
It was worth it too me, because I know every possible piece of functiality that I could make work... is working. And I even added functionality where possible. If you just like this setup because you think it looks cool, I wouldn't advise you take on the challege of wiring it up. If it's just sitting in the dash and doesn't even work right, its just a waste of time for you.

3. are there any avail. wiring diagrams to complete this?
In my head.

4. Grand total costs & labor times?
Total Price of parts would average $1k.
Labor is easy 40 hours if you've never done it before. I know for a fact I spend 16 hours just doing the wiring, and that was only after many hours of documenting, trial and error.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You better pass that knowledge on before you die sucka.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by portfl0w
You better pass that knowledge on before you die sucka.
I don't plan on it anytime soon lol. But, if I die before I wake, just go to my wife and ask her to see my holy notebook. It's called "The book of Mallard- First Testament". lmao
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh pssh. Haha.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rare I know how you feel, as soon as I got my cluster I began to crave more. Plus I don't feel like dropping the $30 for amber bulbs alone. I am probably, going to get the EK4 for now, since a buddy is giving me a really good deal on one, but I wasn't aware of all that Mallard said goes into the install, so I may end up passing it on and saving for the RS. Dunno. I'm going to have to price some of that stuff out, I'll try to post what I find.

Thanks a ton for the extensive info Mallard
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I came up empty...heh heh...I am assuming the 2 wire EVAP thermostat is on this page:http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=HEATER+UNIT (2009 civic si: heater unit)
Sorry to pester.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiR:Mallard
This system is not as hard as people might think. It is not too far off the 99-00 USDM setup and since it does not require all the extra stuff the full digital Navi system requires it's not too costly. You will need a EK4 Auto Climate control, Matching climate control wire-harness(attaches across face of airboxes) or a 99-00 USDM Climate control wire harness. If you use the wire harness from the 99-00 USDM Civic you will need to rewire the servos for the air mixture controls and the temperature control. This is pretty easy, so don't freak about it. If you have a 96-98 Civic you will also need 4 PIN Power Transistor to replace the 3 PIN Blower Motor Resistor that came in your car stock. Since the fan motor box that houses this piece of electronics is near identical you can modify it to fit the larger 4 PIN unit, or just purchase a 99-00 USDM Blower Motor box that already has the 4 PIN Transistor. All USDM Civics from 96-00 will also require a 2 wire EVAP Thermostat so the auto climate control can monitor and adjust the internal temperate of the car as needed. I don't have the part number, but you can get this from a 2006+ Civic Si.

I don't think it worth the hassel for most people, but I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. I will let you decide.

That's an option. If you are lazy and suck at wiring, this option is for you.

This system requires the same identical pieces as the regular EK4 Auto Climate control. However, it does require addtitional electronics. You also need a a EK4/EK9 RHD dash harness with a built-in Navigation sub-harness, and lower navigation support bracket to mount and secure it in the dash. You also need a EK4 Lower Tape Deck, because the circuit board for the audio controls is inside it. In addition you also need the navigation software disk, Gathers SA-196 Media Tuner and wire harness. There is a satellite antenna that monitors traffic via road sensors, but since your not in Japan you don't need that. You can install the FM band expander if you want, but I think you will have much more pleasure from installing an XM Black Box Like I did. That will allow you to pipe in a satellite feed into the system and get a lot more channels. Like anything, it also requires a monthy subscription fee.

It was worth it too me, because I know every possible piece of functiality that I could make work... is working. And I even added functionality where possible. If you just like this setup because you think it looks cool, I wouldn't advise you take on the challege of wiring it up. If it's just sitting in the dash and doesn't even work right, its just a waste of time for you.

In my head.

Total Price of parts would average $1k.
Labor is easy 40 hours if you've never done it before. I know for a fact I spend 16 hours just doing the wiring, and that was only after many hours of documenting, trial and error.
Well I'd love to have an use navi, and keep the car oem. I love to keep everything plug & play, aftermarket stuff is usually cut this tap that, and when there's a problem it's a huge diag. headache.

I am not into wiring, but when it's crunch time I quickly learn. I want to make the right decision for myself, not for the "cool factor." A lot of the time I drive around, meet people, go places etc etc, I always use my iphone maps, but twice it lead me to a dead end, and that's why I'm a little anti gps. If I can get it to function correctly why not? So for right now, it'll go on the things to do list.

I think this would be something I consider down the line when I gut and paint this thing. Who knows how far I am from there LOL I've been blessed to meet some nice guys this past wknd. w/ some luring figures

Originally Posted by djslim23
Rare I know how you feel, as soon as I got my cluster I began to crave more. Plus I don't feel like dropping the $30 for amber bulbs alone. I am probably, going to get the EK4 for now, since a buddy is giving me a really good deal on one, but I wasn't aware of all that Mallard said goes into the install, so I may end up passing it on and saving for the RS. Dunno. I'm going to have to price some of that stuff out, I'll try to post what I find.

Thanks a ton for the extensive info Mallard
Don't pass on that, IIRC if your 99-00 it's 95% P 'n' P! you guys have it made.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in garage on my phone. i will respond later when i get inside
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha it was nothing big. I just decided to hold off until I have access to do this conversion all at one time.

For you wheel ******, here's a good site. try before you buy, Thank me later.

http://www.autowaretech3.net/nextwheels/andys_ecomm.htm

jic it doesnt work for you
http://www.andysautosport.com/wheels/honda_accord.html
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GMG

Attempt it yourself bro, that's the only way you know 100% it's been done. Very hard to mess up unless your rushing through it. No sense in out sourcing unless you have completely "0" know how.

Just MO!
Originally Posted by Moosecakes
for sure man, it's really simple, the belt comes off easy as soon as you remove the tensioner, the water pump has 4 bolts *remember to drain system unless you like cleaning up anti-freeze lol*

re-assembly can be a pain, if you do it yourself put the timing belt on over the cam gear first, makes it much easier to stretch and wiggle it into place. Going from top to bottom is really a bitch.

good luck man!
Originally Posted by portfl0w
Ohhhh yeaaa! Forgot. If you mess up, you can kill the engine. It's still easy tho Ash, easy as lining up the cam gears on the timing cover, removing the belt and putting the new one on. Duals are a little more crammed and harder to get your hands in there, but still doable at home.
Thanks guys I will definitely do it on my own and learn this thing. I went ahead and ordered all the parts last night including a distributor cap and rotor. I plan on getting things done before eibach.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 621 Likes on 492 Posts

Wow Mallard, thanks for that. I always expected that it was a lot more doable than people make it sound. So were you able to get the domestic maps to work with a new disc?

And rare, if you do the swap and you end up needing that blower transistor, I have one bnib.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys well i just wanted to let you know the hatch is somewhat finished for i dont want to post up pics but i made a thread on the build so if you guys are intrested drop by check it out and let me know what you think thanks

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...5&goto=newpost
Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiR:Mallard
You will need a EK4 Auto Climate control, Matching climate control wire-harness(attaches across face of airboxes) or a 99-00 USDM Climate control wire harness. If you use the wire harness from the 99-00 USDM Civic you will need to rewire the servos for the air mixture controls and the temperature control. This is pretty easy, so don't freak about it. All USDM Civics from 96-00 will also require a 2 wire EVAP Thermostat so the auto climate control can monitor and adjust the internal temperate of the car as needed. I don't have the part number, but you can get this from a 2006+ Civic Si.
OK, so I am definitely getting the EK4 for now, will probably sell it later on and make a profit, and get the Vi-RS. Anyways, here is a pic of what it comes with:

I am not sure if the ek4 climate control harness is that harness in the pic...but if not, could you help me out with the process of rewiring the servos? I will most likely be taking this on in 2 weeks, so no rush. Also, as I posted last night, I couldn't find the EVAP thermostat on Majestic for the '06+ Si...do you know what else it could be called? Thanks a lot Jason.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ashy Larry - Sweet man, you have a whole family of support and experience. Do not hesitate to post any questions you have! L e t ' s g e t r d o n e !

Originally Posted by spAdam
Wow Mallard, thanks for that. I always expected that it was a lot more doable than people make it sound. So were you able to get the domestic maps to work with a new disc?

And rare, if you do the swap and you end up needing that blower transistor, I have one bnib.
thank you for the offer sir. ATM I'm not ready, but I will keep u in mind. It'll only be truly a go, if I can allocate sir seating w/panels :D

Originally Posted by SonicSl33p3r
Hey guys well i just wanted to let you know the hatch is somewhat finished for i dont want to post up pics but i made a thread on the build so if you guys are intrested drop by check it out and let me know what you think thanks

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...5&goto=newpost
looks good, I hyperlinked on over and viewed!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

morning guys
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holla
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good, I hyperlinked on over and viewed!
thanks it still hasnt replaced the spot of my old sedan in my heart yet
Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

debating if I want to 100% finish the sedan before I get my next car.. i'll keep the sedan forever but I want to build a more luxury car
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Moosecakes
debating if I want to 100% finish the sedan before I get my next car.. i'll keep the sedan forever but I want to build a more luxury car
building another car when one is unfinished/unaccomplished is kind of senseless. might as well throw ur money away...
u should go back to school. priorities u have not.
sure u might have all the fun now but when u get older u dont wanna go back and look at the time u lost wishing u did this, did that to better your life.
im just talking as a big brother (i am to 3 siblings) and as a parent.
i always tell my people the same thing. so far, its worked out.
education is your life support. cars are a hobby.
meaning not getting out of your way to support it, coz then it becomes an obsession, a pitfall. concentrate on what is more important to you coz it seems like u got ur head wrapped around the whole car modifying state of mind. our passion with cars bring you satisfaction and sometimes fame but it will not bring home the money.
sounds corny but in this day and age, planning for the future isn't so corny anymore.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

carshow :D

Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha it was nothing big. I just decided to hold off until I have access to do this conversion all at one time.

For you wheel ******, here's a good site. try before you buy, Thank me later.

http://www.autowaretech3.net/nextwheels/andys_ecomm.htm

jic it doesnt work for you
http://www.andysautosport.com/wheels/honda_accord.html
first link no workie.
no products in the civic category

i doubt if they can beat my homie hookup prices from JLB tho

Quick Reply: ** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2