Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (tendou)

I am having the same issue with my Honda Civic 2006 LX. There is a rattling or thumping noise at the rear of the car when I drive over cracks or little bumps in the street. I've had this issue pretty much ever since I bought the car in Nov 2005. Orginnally there was an issue with the rear shocks leaking fluid which I thought was the problem but after they replaced the shocks the rattling noise was still there. I mentioned it to my dealer every time I go there but if they can't replicate the issue at that moment in time they can't fix the issue. If anyone has any clue it would be please post it.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

'07 Civic Hybrid... A few weeks ago I talked to my dealer about replacing the rear arms due to the service bulletin in this thread. The service person was kind of a jerk about it and really just ignored my request. I spoke to a rep at Honda USA and they called the dealership and ordered them to do the warrenty work and replace the arms. We got the arms and alignment under warrenty, they would not replace the tires however. I admitted I had not been rotating them, so they said they would not replace them.

The car actually feels a lot tighter while cornering. Also you can distinctly see there is less negative camber. The car felt really sloppy in the rear, but now it feels great.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Update on my upper control arm and tire issue for my 2007 Civic. Recap; my dealer (Chapman Honda Tucson) had no problem replacing the upper control arms and realigning the rear. They would not help with the tires because my Civic had over 25,000 miles. The mechanic was very helpful, the service guy was trying very hard to be helpful, the service manager was smug and condescending at best. I called Honda directly and they were professional but would not discuss the issue. I had over 25,000 and that was it. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau; bottom line, I don't care if you have 5,000 or 50,000 miles a manufacturing defect caused premature wear of your tires. Honda Customer Care contacted me the following day. Before the BBB even got involved Honda chose to refund me 50% of the cost of the new tires.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Re: (vazw)

my rear camber was a full 1.16 degre out of camber in the rear from the factory with no camber ajustment at all. I lowerd the car with comptech springs (1.2 f) (1.0 R) and my rear is out 2.16.. my point is Honda is sending the cars out with no camber adjustment and is not withing Hondas on specs. HONDA needs to fix this or give the current owners parts to adjust camber BS HONDA!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Default Re: (hondamanforlife)

I own a 06 Honda Civic purchased new in late Sept. 06, yes another unknowingly soul purchasing a car that I THOUGHT was stable, reliable and the manufacturer backed! I was wrong. After having my car for approx. 8 months my factory tires were worn out on the rear, having to wait a few months longer to buy the new tires due to finances I called the dealership questioning this, of course the dealer told me it was not covered so I replaced the tires thinking that it was just a cheap set of tires to begin with. That was at about 20k miles, purchased the new tires and within 6 months they began roaring and shaking so bad you could hardly stand it. Again called the dealer because obviously there is something wrong and something honda is not telling me, I have never owned a car that went through tires this fast, at least not that was brand new! So finally after much arguing and discussion the service manager in our locval dealership that AI bought the care tells me to bring it in and they will fix it, he has an idea of what the problem is. Before I went I did some research and found this great website that answered my questions and made me feel a little less crazy and that I actually was right. So at the dealership the service man tells me its gonna cost 80 bucks to fix my alignment, and this where the fuss began. Finally the service manager agreed to repair it at no cost because I knew about the bulletin of which he obviously was not going to tell me about. I then asked about replacing or reimbursing me on my tires and was flat out old no that it was my problem, not Honda's. How is it my problem? They knowingly sold a car that was defective from the factory! After a smart alleck snicker and comment that went like this " I don't know why you are so upset, the tread is good on your tires, you can get some more mileage out of them, (snicker and look of laughter at the other service man) if you can stand the roaring and vibration of them while driving your car!" I basically unloaded on them and told them what I thought about Honda and there so- called customer service and backing their vehicles was a flat out joke to them and obviously the customers safety was not an issue either. I am sure they were glad to see me leave, but I assure you I will NEVER buy another Honda again, for the simple fact that they knew this was a issue and still proceeded to sell these cars and then decide not to do a re-call on them! The customer loses money,time and satisfaction with the product and Honda ends up hurting themselves with this whole issue. So I still feel they should help with the two replacement tires on my car and my next step is the BBB and a call into the Honda Complaint Center. May not get me anywhere but I sure will fell better.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatinhondanow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatinhondanow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I own a 06 Honda Civic purchased new in late Sept. 06, yes another unknowingly soul purchasing a car that I THOUGHT was stable, reliable and the manufacturer backed! I was wrong. After having my car for approx. 8 months my factory tires were worn out on the rear, having to wait a few months longer to buy the new tires due to finances I called the dealership questioning this, of course the dealer told me it was not covered so I replaced the tires thinking that it was just a cheap set of tires to begin with. That was at about 20k miles, purchased the new tires and within 6 months they began roaring and shaking so bad you could hardly stand it. Again called the dealer because obviously there is something wrong and something honda is not telling me, I have never owned a car that went through tires this fast, at least not that was brand new! So finally after much arguing and discussion the service manager in our locval dealership that AI bought the care tells me to bring it in and they will fix it, he has an idea of what the problem is. Before I went I did some research and found this great website that answered my questions and made me feel a little less crazy and that I actually was right. So at the dealership the service man tells me its gonna cost 80 bucks to fix my alignment, and this where the fuss began. Finally the service manager agreed to repair it at no cost because I knew about the bulletin of which he obviously was not going to tell me about. I then asked about replacing or reimbursing me on my tires and was flat out old no that it was my problem, not Honda's. How is it my problem? They knowingly sold a car that was defective from the factory! After a smart alleck snicker and comment that went like this " I don't know why you are so upset, the tread is good on your tires, you can get some more mileage out of them, (snicker and look of laughter at the other service man) if you can stand the roaring and vibration of them while driving your car!" I basically unloaded on them and told them what I thought about Honda and there so- called customer service and backing their vehicles was a flat out joke to them and obviously the customers safety was not an issue either. I am sure they were glad to see me leave, but I assure you I will NEVER buy another Honda again, for the simple fact that they knew this was a issue and still proceeded to sell these cars and then decide not to do a re-call on them! The customer loses money,time and satisfaction with the product and Honda ends up hurting themselves with this whole issue. So I still feel they should help with the two replacement tires on my car and my next step is the BBB and a call into the Honda Complaint Center. May not get me anywhere but I sure will fell better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

As far as your original tires go...20k miles is not a short life-span for tires that come stock on a car. I don't know what you're crying about.

Your replacement tire situation sounds like Honda handled it like ANY manufacturer would have. The TSB lists a wear-rate that the dealership follows, in order to determine if they are going to replace your tires free of cost. Sounds like your tires weren't worn out enough. The dealership was just following protocol. They fixed your problem. Get over it. You obviously didn't unload money on performance tires.

Modified by 2008fijibluesi at 7:04 PM 5/11/2008
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (jerimint)

After being ignored by Honda USA for 3 months about the rear camber issue, the 1st TSB they issue for 2008 related to the problem.
Now after new Upper Control Arms, it still isn't in spec. Honda said that was the best they could do.

What a piece of **** car and what a piece of **** car company.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM

I have 2007 civic and had this TSB work done today. Car feels better, but I won't really get to drive it until tomorrow. I have two questions for the experts here.

1. I thought they were supposedto replace the rocker arm with an arm marked with a "C". I think i clearly see and "A" on my new arms.
2. My tires were not addressed because I have 23k miles on the car. I tried to explain that because I am in vermont we put winter tires on, and so i have 2 sets of ties with 12k each and they are both worn badly....but honda will not listen to this argument. Do I have any chance or fighting this?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Same problem on at least some 2008 Civics

I took my Civic EX-L to the dealer ship two weeks ago because of a roaring sound coming rom the rear tires at a variety of speeds. The service manager drove and inspected the car and said he could clearly see that the tires were unevenly worn and cupped.

He apologized that Honda has this type of problem and that they thought it was fixed for 2008 but it isn't. He notified the Honda management and after two weeks he got an answer.

Honda has decided that there are two problems that combine to cause the issue. Fixing one only fixes part of the problem. I'm not sure how this applies to 06, 07, and 08 models. They will replace struts and the suspension arms and the rear tires (17,500 miles on the tires and the car). The parts are ordered and the work will get done next week.

Honda thinks they have a cure.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (ChargedSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChargedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The issue with the control arm is not "life threatening". The rear control arm is not going to brake and throw your car into a wall. As a vehicle owner, you should be checking your tire wear on a regular basis, just like you check your oil and water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, like regular tire rotations, mine get rotated every oil change (5K miles).

On a side note, legally, Honda doesn't have to warrant their product. No manufacturer is required by any federal law to offer warranty on any product.

Modified by Kidnkorner at 9:45 PM 8/27/2008
Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (Kidnkorner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kidnkorner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, like regular tire rotations, mine get rotated every oil change (5K miles).[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

just to clarify tire rotations on the civic are recommended every 10k..
Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 AM

My 2007 civic started making terrible road noise at about 17,000 miles. I finally got it in to the dealer at 18,000 miles and they informed me about the control arm recall. The work was done and aligned at no cost but I had to purchase 2 rear tires. When I asked the service manager if the tires wore out because of the control arms he said no it was because I didn't rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. A month went by and I went on line and discovered the control arm problem is linked to premature tire wear. A call to the service manager was no help, he told me to contact Honda, which I did explaining to honda that the tires should have been prorated and I shouldn't have paid the full amount, they took my info gave me a case #. Within an hour they called back and informed me that because the rear arm control replacement was not a recall but a product updated and the milage was a few hundred miles over the 17,500 mile cut off line they were not going to do anything for me. They also mention another product update concerning the water pump that I should address with a honda dealer. I think if honda were to spend as much time and money making good on fixing problem's caused by bad parts instead of paying lawyer's to think up ways to screw the consumer they'd be ahead of the game.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (damcar)

I have never been to a good Honda dealership. They are all an extension of used car salesmen. Sleezy with no ethics or personal moral compasses. The service advisers/managers don't care because there is nothing you can do but sue. They lie to you when you buy the car and all they want to do is get your money when you go in for service.

The sad truth is I also have a 2003 Mercedes C class. I bought it used and the whole buying process, and, everytime I bring it in for service at any dealership they are always very polite, helpful, courteous and explain everything before they do anything. My dad reports the same type of "higher" service in another state for his Cadillac. You just can't expect that at discount "WalMart" type dealerships like Honda, Ford, Toyota, etc.

I think we should start a discussion on dealerships. Does anyone know if there is an honest person working at any Honda Dealership in Phoenix?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (tallpinesman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the SI control arms are good from the beginning </TD></TR></TABLE>
NO! They have the exact same problem: too much damn negative camber. If you have a speaker box in the trunk and a few other items, your camber will be close to -3.0 degrees.

If you don't rotate your tires EVERY 5000 miles or so, the back tires will be choppy and noisy. If you have a weak rear shock too, every 5K miles won't be enough to save your tires.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (elementalpuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elementalpuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have never been to a good Honda dealership. They are all an extension of used car salesmen. Sleezy with no ethics or personal moral compasses. The service advisers/managers don't care because there is nothing you can do but sue. They lie to you when you buy the car and all they want to do is get your money when you go in for service.

The sad truth is I also have a 2003 Mercedes C class. I bought it used and the whole buying process, and, everytime I bring it in for service at any dealership they are always very polite, helpful, courteous and explain everything before they do anything. My dad reports the same type of "higher" service in another state for his Cadillac. You just can't expect that at discount "WalMart" type dealerships like Honda, Ford, Toyota, etc.

I think we should start a discussion on dealerships. Does anyone know if there is an honest person working at any Honda Dealership in Phoenix?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. You said a lot in that post. What Honda dealers in Phoenix do you frequent?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (cjo_28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cjo_28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow. You said a lot in that post. What Honda dealers in Phoenix do you frequent?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry 'bout that. I was venting. I went to Honda Cars of Mesa and Bell Honda. I won't go back to either. To clarify...when I said discount dealership I did NOT mean the car. I love my Honda and am glad every time I sit in it. It is just that you can get one for relatively little money and I was correlating that with the customer service.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am new to Honda-tech. I am having this problem but i have been told since i am out of factory warranty that Honda will not fix this and Honda care won't either. So my question is has anyone had the bulletin performed after 36k. I have a 2006 civic 4dr. ex with 41k on it. Thankx
Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (guinnessstout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guinnessstout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am new to Honda-tech. I am having this problem but i have been told since i am out of factory warranty that Honda will not fix this and Honda care won't either. So my question is has anyone had the bulletin performed after 36k. I have a 2006 civic 4dr. ex with 41k on it. Thankx</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can forget about Honda paying for new tires. You have too many miles on them.

But, if you tell them you keep wearing out tires and/or the rear tires get choppy/noisy real quick, they'll probably warranty the updated rear control arms and 4-wheel alignment.

If the dealer says they just can't do it, call American Honda. They will probably good will the repair.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 PM

For those who think their Civic handles better with the new control arms, sorry, that isn't the reason for the bulletin. If anything, the extra negative camber in the rear should help cornering grip. This is probably why the SI isn't included in the bulletin.

I bet more aggressive driver's who rotate there tires every 7500 miles will have normal wear patterns. Obviously the engineers at Honda thought they could improve performance and not cause abnormal tire wear. They were wrong, especially for those that rotate their tires every 20K miles, which by the way, NO front wheel drive tires will survive this lack of regular rotation.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have gone through 1 set of tires and am half way through the second. I rotate my tires every 3-4k and the were is still bad. I tried the whole 5-7k and thats when the wear was starting to get real bad so 2500 to 3k max on my civic.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Same problem on at least some 2008 Civics (PeteJC)

Before I had the service done I said:
"They will replace struts and the suspension arms and the rear tires (17,500 miles on the tires and the car)."

They only replaced the struts and the tires. When I asked why I didn't get new arms they said that the new suspension arms were used on the 2008 models and I was only going to get new struts and tires. So far the roaring sound is gone. We'll see if it comes back at some point.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Nope, Not true. I rotate my tires at every oil change IAW Honda specifications. I was just told by the local H-dealer that my rear tires were cupped. I'd had them checked before the car was driven 900 miles to my new home. This was the third cycle on the rear for these tires. Car is Civic EX 2007 4 dr. 22004 miles, almost all highway miles, Ann Arbor to Detroit and return.

In defense of the selling dealer, Bloomfield Honda, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, they were wonderful about every question, quirk query or inquisition I have ever had about this car.

The second dealer in another state, I'm still pondering. This is where the rear control arm problem was found. Wife brought the car to the dealer, new kid in town, out of state plates still on the car, so this is a big setup for a scam if there ever was one. The car was brought in for a wiper motor failure (refused to turn off on command, and when it did, it stopped the blades at random positions. The dealer immediately offered warranty service on the motor, without a hint of argument. Not bad for a start. A part was promptly ordered, and in the meantime, a service check was done and the waterpump item (not sure what it is, since I haven't received the warranty paperwork yet), was serviced. My wife mentioned the rear end noise, the control arms were replaced, 4W alignment, but the rear tires were "shot" and needed to be replaced. I checked the fronts (now on the rear), and there was a mild cupping on the them, but not in imminent need of replacement.

My only beef, at the moment, was the dlr quoted what I thought was a reasonable price for replacement tires, and when the car was picked up, the price was a hundred bucks higher, which I would not have agreed to. But ahh well. I plan on taking a ride into town in the morning and having a lookie at the tires and if they are badly worn, probably let it go, but letting them know that they really need to call me if they make a mistake on price quotes that is off by over 35% they jolly well better pick up the phone and call me before they overcharge their estimates.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms (guinnessstout)

Quote, originally posted by guinnessstout »
i am new to Honda-tech. I am having this problem but i have been told since i am out of factory warranty that Honda will not fix this and Honda care won't either. So my question is has anyone had the bulletin performed after 36k. I have a 2006 civic 4dr. ex with 41k on it. Thankx

I had the arms replaced and 4 wheel alignment for free at 55,000 miles. It is DEFINITELY about who you meet. I had a positive experience (for once) at Earnhardt Honda in Phoenix. I got two new tires, abs recall thing done, control arm replaced, 4 wheel alignment and a wash...oh yeah plus a free rental car for the day while they did the repairs...all from Earnhardts. Go Tex!

I didn't get an update that you posted here so this is a 3 month old response. Let me know how it goes for you.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 PM

I can't tell you why but after they replaced the rear arm, did a 4 wheel alignment and put two new tires on it...it was like a new car, and evil, cool twin.

I have gone through 4 pair of tires and I always keep em properly inflated

...but whatever they did was sexy. i got onto the freeway and my car just grabbed the road! It was like a new better car, responded quickly, smooth, quiet, but like with super grip on the road. this thing can be thrown around at 85 like its not even trying. I would swear they switched me out with a TSX but its all the same n the outside. Go to Earnhardt Honda,whtever they did...it was sweet.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cjo_28
For those who think their Civic handles better with the new control arms, sorry, that isn't the reason for the bulletin. If anything, the extra negative camber in the rear should help cornering grip. This is probably why the SI isn't included in the bulletin.
in 08 the si's got the updated rear arms, but from what i've heard they're not updating the 06-07's.

Quick Reply: Factory Service Bulletin for Rear Control Arms