Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

How do you adjust the clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you adjust the clutch engagement point?

Soooo, how do you adjust the clutch engagement point? When I purchased my 96 gsr, the engagement point is literally like 1 inch from the top. I just have to step on the clutch like an inch or two for it to engage. I think this is waaaaaayyyyy too high. Where is the engagement point suppose to be for an Integra, and how do I adjust it :] Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
sg

Default Re: How do you adjust the clutch engagement point? (lumnite)

different clutches will engage differently.

also im sure you searched this topic before you posted, because i did and i didnt find anything useful, only babbling

anyway, hopefully this helps.

lets take a look at the teg bible, passage 12-4

Name:  clutchadj.jpg
Views: 22656
Size:  87.6 KB

thou shall adjust to spec
Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 AM

THANK YOU. This should come in handy...when I'm not too lazy to adjust it. lololololol
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a hydraulic clutch and the engagement point self adjusts due to wear just like it said in the above post. You can't adjust it yourself. Your clutch is just worn, is it slipping or anything yet?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How do you adjust the clutch engagement point? (ac_attak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ac_attak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a hydraulic clutch and the engagement point self adjusts due to wear just like it said in the above post. You can't adjust it yourself. Your clutch is just worn, is it slipping or anything yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong-aroni. The hydro clutch pedal and MC is adjustable. It is to compensate for wear. According to the manual, or the instructions that come with new clutches, you should adjust the pedal every now and then.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you adjust the clutch engagement point? (B serious)

I was talking about the engagement point(which is the whole point of this thread), NOT the actual pedal itself.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ac_attak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a hydraulic clutch and the engagement point self adjusts due to wear just like it said in the above post. You can't adjust it yourself. Your clutch is just worn, is it slipping or anything yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhm, slipping? What does it mean for your clutch to slip Sorry, I don't really know that much. But anyway, the clutch feels normal...I guess. So does that mean the engagement points gets higher as clutch wears? And since the engagement point is so high, does that mean my clutch is incredibly worn out and is due for a change?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ac_attak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was talking about the engagement point(which is the whole point of this thread), NOT the actual pedal itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Moving the MC rod changes the engagement point. Moving the clutch pedal set screw changes the height of the clutch pedal...this should not be adjusted, however. Just the MC rod.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Re: How do you adjust the clutch engagement point? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Moving the MC rod changes the engagement point. Moving the clutch pedal set screw changes the height of the clutch pedal...this should not be adjusted, however. Just the MC rod. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So, in the picture posted above, does that mean that all I have to do is adjust locknut 3 in order to adjust the engagement point? Oh, and just wondering, how does the engagement point change like that? Does it naturally move up after aging, or does it have to be manually adjusted? Also, what's the preferred height, or uh, the usual height to engage? loloolol thanks :]
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM

i only have to push my pedal down about half an inch for it to disengage, but then again i have a 6 puck clutch
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lumnite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So, in the picture posted above, does that mean that all I have to do is adjust locknut 3 in order to adjust the engagement point? Oh, and just wondering, how does the engagement point change like that? Does it naturally move up after aging, or does it have to be manually adjusted? Also, what's the preferred height, or uh, the usual height to engage? loloolol thanks :]</TD></TR></TABLE>

You loosen the lock nut C. Then turn the rod that it locks. You're putting preload onto or realeasing preload from the master cylinder piston by turning that rod.

Reduce preload = more freeplay
Increase preload = less freeplay

You have to leave atleast (IIRC) 1/2'' of freeplay.

More freeplay, and the clutch will engage closer to the floor.

Less freeplay, and the clutch will engage higher up from the floor.

I prefer barely any freeplay. I like the pedal to feel solid...I dont mind the slightly higher engagement point.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kraig8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i only have to push my pedal down about half an inch for it to disengage, but then again i have a 6 puck clutch</TD></TR></TABLE>

No springs or what? Does your car put down a **** load of power or something? Is there freeplay at the top?...because if there isn't you're dragging on your clutch all the time you're driving. It'd be like driving with your foot on the pedal.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM

yeah there some play in the clutch before it disengages. its not riding the clutch at all. the reason it disengages like that is cuss theres no riding the clutch. its either off or on. grabs like a ****
Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kraig8)

im gonna have to try this on my car
Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea me too
Old 09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lmike6453)

yep
Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 PM

does the information i have read in this post go the same for a cable trany an other info i might want to know about adjusting the ys1 on my db1 teg thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Default Re: (ghostofnyc)

good to know
Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing you can adjust on hydro trannys is the freeplay, i messed with all that and did nothing to engaging point. What did lower the engaging point was a flush