Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good?

i dont know much about the vtec killer cams but to me they sound bad ***. how does it work, and why does it sound like a v8.?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good? (projectef)

they sound so bad *** because of all the vaccum they create alot of v8's with crazy cams need to have a seprate vaccum source just to run right.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good? (Guiding my way back.)

also the vtec killer cams have a solid 2 lobes instead of the comen 3 lobe camshafts it basically makes it vtec all the time, so no oil pressure switching etc, very crazy cams for strip use basically.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good? (Guiding my way back.)

they do exaclty what they say. they eliminate vtec. they eliminate the middle rocker arm for the vtec lobe. it also givesyou caps to cap off certain oil galleys in the head for vtec.

if i buy a set of skunk2 pro series cams it has 3 cam lobes. your vtec killer cams only have 2 just like Ls motors or any non vtec cam.

they are not something to be driven on the street. idle is all over the place and very sparatic.

if you want vtec killer cams than build a high compression Ls and get a serious set of cams for it.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good? (cartune network)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cartune network &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you want vtec killer cams than build a high compression Ls and get a serious set of cams for it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea go ahead make a LS head flow what a B head can
Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good? (sheepey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sheepey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea go ahead make a LS head flow what a B head can </TD></TR></TABLE>

An LS is a B.

There's still a lot of market in the non-btak engines, i've seen some impressive numbers with crower's lineup, specifically the 403's and 404's.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The original purpose of them was roadracing where two cam profiles aren't allowed.

Sure they sound cool but honestly in a street car, you will do much better with a setup made for the street.

Your valve springs will thank you too
Old 11-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The original purpose of them was roadracing where two cam profiles aren't allowed.

Sure they sound cool but honestly in a street car, you will do much better with a setup made for the street.

Your valve springs will thank you too </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, vtec-killer cams were never made for drag racing or street use. They were made for road-racing applications that banned vtec....thus, its completely pointless to run them in a street car or even a tracked car. Vtec cams will give you more low end power with better throttle response with the same top end power (since the vtec lobe is just as large or larger).
Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't know it was meant for races that banned vtec. I thought that it had lobes so huge that it's pretty much like you're in vtec at all times, even while you're idling.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rickdrizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickdrizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't know it was meant for races that banned vtec. I thought that it had lobes so huge that it's pretty much like you're in vtec at all times, even while you're idling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It kind of is, however most "large" vtec cams are still larger on the vtec cam lobes and theres really very few reasons you wouldnt want to have the smaller "off" vtec lobes. I mean, why run in vtec all the time when I can run "off" vtec and make more power in the lower rpms and then still have the same power in the upper?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:08 PM

so is it true, that u have to have a cr of 12:5:1 and higher to run the killer cams?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:10 PM

say i do drive on the streets w/the killer cams. will my motor just go to waste in a long run?

would the killer cams be better in a non-vtec motor, than a vtec motor?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thank you, vtec-killer cams were never made for drag racing or street use. They were made for road-racing applications that banned vtec....thus, its completely pointless to run them in a street car or even a tracked car. Vtec cams will give you more low end power with better throttle response with the same top end power (since the vtec lobe is just as large or larger).</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do however have less weight in the valvetrain which equals more valve control in the higher rpms. However i agree with you that the drawsbacks greatly outweigh the benefits. That was really the only benefit to them.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lude98SH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lude98SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They do however have less weight in the valvetrain which equals more valve control in the higher rpms. However i agree with you that the drawsbacks greatly outweigh the benefits. That was really the only benefit to them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true....but not enough of a reason for this newbie to consider vtec killers.

Also, you cant run killer cams in a non-vtec....cause you cant kill the vtec you never had (seriously they wont fit and the ls head has smaller valves/ports and does not flow as well as the vtec heads....the rare PR8 or whatever it is still doesnt seem to keep up either).

Do you have to have 12.5:1? No, however being that your dynamic compression will be about 6:1 if you dont, i'd recommend that....however I also recommend that if you like that choppy/lumpy idle that you go buy a v8.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its interesting that this topic was brought up. any one ever notice the rocker pad on the non-vtec rockers are significantly shorter than the rocker pad on the vtec rockers? thus allowing less room for lift and duration. how would you be able to fit more lift and duration on the primary rocker pads vs the vtec rocker pad with significantly less room to do so?

Name:  vtecrockersize.jpg
Views: 7646
Size:  16.0 KB
Old 11-04-2007, 01:48 AM

vtec killer @ idle. LOL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1nidxuvNoqk
Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (omniman)

dont the toda vtec killers come with new rocker arms?

the crane cams are for use with their roller rockers.

afaik, web has some and use their extended rockers.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

Yes, killer cams come with new rockers.....thus the comment(s) about the lower valvetrain weight and added benefits of such.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, killer cams come with new rockers.....thus the comment(s) about the lower valvetrain weight and added benefits of such.</TD></TR></TABLE>

right...that was more a response to omnimans post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 AM
FSAE

Default Re: (projectef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so is it true, that u have to have a cr of 12:5:1 and higher to run the killer cams?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.

Just to float this into your knowledge center, you will make more power with other cams, for example Skunk2 Pro-2's or 3's, Buddy Club 5...etc

I have posted this in other threads similar, but the reason I will never recommend "VTEC Eliminator" type cams to anyone is because there are plenty of cams available that make terrific power without going that route, and will save you quite a bit of money. But again, this is for a street car. The reasons for going with a lightweight valvetrain assembly isn't applicable on a street motor, in my eyes at least.

If you look at this situation from a cost-benefit perspective, there really is no reason to run that type of setup on a street car.

As for the physical driving of "VTEC Eliminator" cams, it is mostly how well they are dialed in and tuned. Tuning transient partials and acceleration in low revvs becomes difficult with large lift and duration, and usually is neglected.

If you want some uber-iffic setup to brag about, go purchase a set of Ferrea roller rockers and have some custom grinds made. If you want to make good power and have the same driveability as stock, stick with your typical VTEC cam.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

right...that was more a response to omnimans post</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh sorry, smaller pad with larger cam = less ramp angle....my bad.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM

my set up im planing is an h22.

alaniz head
skunk2 valve train
crane killer cams & roller rocker arms or skunk2 stage 3 cams
ported h22 IM & 72mm TB
310 rc injectors
and a lot more

stock block w/type s pistons maybe

later:
GE sleeve
f22 crank rods
type s pistons or aftermarket
and more.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (omniman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omniman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> its interesting that this topic was brought up. any one ever notice the rocker pad on the non-vtec rockers are significantly shorter than the rocker pad on the vtec rockers? thus allowing less room for lift and duration. how would you be able to fit more lift and duration on the primary rocker pads vs the vtec rocker pad with significantly less room to do so?

Name:  vtecrockersize.jpg
Views: 8074
Size:  16.0 KB</TD></TR></TABLE>

With a pretty steep ramp, not gonna wear that great, but it's racing.

...and to answer the OP's orginal question, most VTEC eliminator camshafts require a proprietary rocker because the OEM rocker geometry has it's limitations.

Also remember the B and H share the same the primary rockers, thus the same rocker ratios.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just get some rocket m22xx and call it a day, great cams for the price. 1000$ gets you cams, springs, retainters, ecu chip and spark plugs. for rocket
Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1000 can get you used cams, used camgears, new valvesprings/retainers AND a tune.

Quick Reply: why are TODA & CRANE vtec killer cams so good?