Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Honda Ridgeline Transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Ridgeline Transmission service

I am approaching 25k on my 2006 Ridgeline. I plan to service my transmission, transfer case, & differential. I do tow a travel trailer about 3000 miles per year. I plan to use Amsoil synthetic fluids. My mechanic agrees this is a good choice. He had another Honda owner who would change out the transmission fluid with each oil change. His car has over 200k on it. I plan to gradually increase the ratio of synthetic to stock fluid as I allow the 2 quarts in the pan to drain and replace each time until I use 12 quarts of synthetic oil. I am letting my mecahnic do the VTM & differential fluid at least the first time. I looked under the engine and don't really know my way around. There are several drain plugs that take a 1/4" drive to remove.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you point me to a site that will identify the proper drains to open?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (Evil M0nkey)

I was wondering if you had read anything about the AMSOIL products. I have been doing some research and it sounds pretty convincing. People sending used fluids in for analysis and such.

Thanks for the info about the drain locations.

Dave
Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: (lbrende)

Here is some information I received from an AMSOIL dealer, with my leter to him below:

Hi David,
Amsoil ATF is a compatible replacement for applications requiring Honda Z-1 transmission fluids but not for use in CVT Transmissions. I've attached Amsoils warranty and also see here if your concerned if your vehicle will be covered under warranty http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx

We've used Amsoil now for over 23 years and were so confident of the product that we became dealers 5 years ago. Amsoil sells itself by the testimonys of usersm not by Amsoil advertising.

Service Life:
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 60,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

* As defined by the vehicle or transmission manufacturer.

We run our business full time and will be here to answer your questions. Thank you and we look forward to providing you with the best lubricants and service for years to come!

My letter:

Amsoil rep,

I own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I tow a travel trailer with
approximately 3000-4000 miles per year. I am getting all kinds of
caution signs thrown up when I suggest replacing the ATF, VTM, and
rear differential fluids with Amsoil synthetics. Can you assure me
that they are compatible? I plan on replacing the ATF either as is
stated in my owners manual, ie: drain, replace, drive, repeat x 3,
or replace the 2 quarts drained with each time I change my engine
oil. The synthetic and standard fluids will be mixing. All the
Honda forums & manual state use only Honda Z type fluids. Please
advise.

David
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evil M0nkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil M0nkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The transmission fluid and VTM fluid I strongly urge you to use Honda fluids. They really are a unique fluid that will allow a long life in both components. The transfer case you can use synthetic fluid, that's normal gear oil.
The transmission drain is on the bottom with a barrel shaped 3/8 drain (fill plug is on the top 17mm bolt that can be seen looking down past the intake tube), the transfer case is on the bottom side of the transfer case with a 3/8 washer style plug (fill is just above on the side), The rear diff has two barrel shaped plugs, lower is drain and obviously the top is fill. Just do it once and it'll be pretty easy later.
Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2

I tow alot with my ridge. I change my oil every 2000 or so and I do the tranny and rear diff every oil change with honda ATF and VTM. I know it's over kill but when you work for the dealer why not
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM

When you say the intake tube, what do you mean? Not the transmission dipstick? I was looking and found all the other plugs, except the fill plug.
Thanks,
David
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lbrende &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is some information I received from an AMSOIL dealer, with my leter to him below:

Hi David,
Amsoil ATF is a compatible replacement for applications requiring Honda Z-1 transmission fluids but not for use in CVT Transmissions. I've attached Amsoils warranty and also see here if your concerned if your vehicle will be covered under warranty http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx

We've used Amsoil now for over 23 years and were so confident of the product that we became dealers 5 years ago. Amsoil sells itself by the testimonys of usersm not by Amsoil advertising.

Service Life:
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 60,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

* As defined by the vehicle or transmission manufacturer.

We run our business full time and will be here to answer your questions. Thank you and we look forward to providing you with the best lubricants and service for years to come!

My letter:

Amsoil rep,

I own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I tow a travel trailer with
approximately 3000-4000 miles per year. I am getting all kinds of
caution signs thrown up when I suggest replacing the ATF, VTM, and
rear differential fluids with Amsoil synthetics. Can you assure me
that they are compatible? I plan on replacing the ATF either as is
stated in my owners manual, ie: drain, replace, drive, repeat x 3,
or replace the 2 quarts drained with each time I change my engine
oil. The synthetic and standard fluids will be mixing. All the
Honda forums & manual state use only Honda Z type fluids. Please
advise.

David</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would stick with honda products plain and simple. I personally feel that no one knows Hondas needs in fluids better than Honda! You cant tell me that amsoil has done more research on the subject than Honda. For 1 Honda has leaps and bounds more money and technology at their disposal than amsoil does. Plus they are sole providers of engines for indy and they dont use amsoil...

Plus amsoil does not have an approved product to replace the VTM fluid....nor would i dare to use it in MY ridgeline nor a customers.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Honda Ridgeline Transmission service (lbrende)

Hmm.. I can see it already... New post down the line.. My rear diff and tranny are failing and Honda refused to cover it. Those bastards!...

Like he said. If Amsoil is that great, Honda wouldn't waste their time with their own stuff.

I can almost guarantee you that if your vehicle starts making noise and it's because of that Amsoil stuff, Honda won't even listen to you. Heck, I'd just hand the keys back to the advisor and tell the customer to go screw themselves because that's exactly what Honda will say.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmitr)

I would NOT recomend anything but Honda VTM4 for the rear end. i also hope this wont be you first rear end service as it is needed to be change at 7500, 1500, 30000 then every 30000 depending on use. as for the ATF i prefer the Honda ATF never had problem with. Own a 07 Ridg and many other Honda and work for them also

topy
Old 11-10-2007, 05:22 AM

Is the fill plug mounted sideways? I see a 17 mm bolt near the intake, but it looks like it could be a support bolt, not fill plug.

Thanks,
David
Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why use anything other than what honda recommends?????!!!!!
Their fluids are designed specificly for their vehicles, end of story.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Honda Ridgeline Transmission service (aries331)

Here is a rebuttal from the Amsoil distributor:

Vehicle manufacturers do not refine, blend and manufacture their own oil. What they do is contract with an oil company. Vehicle manufacturers do have certain specifications and requirements that the oil must meet, however often, the decision as to who actually makes a private labeled product is based on a low bid, and like most everything else manufactured by a low bidder, short cuts are taken in order to make the low price. Every manufacturer that makes equipment with an engine has its own name on an oil bottle. You name it, they all have oils, but none of these equipment manufacturers actually make an oil. They sell oil to make more money and often price these oils well above the rate for competitive lubricants because they can create them impression that only their oil be used in their equipment.

The above statement is supported by test data. AMSOIL INC., has tested a number of these private label motor oils and two cycle oils and has found many are mediocre quality products. None of them even comes close to performing as well as AMSOIL lubricants, and that's a fact. AMSOIL is one of several oil companies that manufacture superior lubricants to OEM branded lubricants and test their products against specific manufacturer branded lubricants in order to document their claims of superior performance. Tests are initially performed in-house and when the test results will be used for advertising purposes and competitive comparisons the tests are conducted at an accredited independent ASTM and ISO Certified test laboratory.

The impression most new vehicles and equipment sales and service personnel often convey to customers is that the customer must use their particular manufacturers brand and viscosity of lubricants (engine, transmission, differentials, etc.) during the warranty period in order to "maintain the warranty" and that the particular lubricants in question must be changed according to manufacturers specified change intervals. I will address this first in respect to the legality and then a practical discussion.

Specifically, the legal question posed is whether manufacturers of new vehicles can require that original equipment, parts and services be used in order to maintain a valid new car warranty. It frequently happens that new car representatives will advise the customers that they must use original equipment manufactured parts in order to maintain a valid new car warranty. This happens most frequently when representatives are advising customers regarding motor oil and filters.
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, and pursuant to regulations of the Federal Trade Commission, a manufacturer may not make its vehicle warranty conditioned on the use of any specific brand of motor oil, oil filter, or any other component, unless the manufacturer provides it to the customer free of charge

Very limited exception applies to this, and then only where the Federal Trade Commission is satisfied that the exception is in the public interest. If a manufacturer requires customers to use its motor oil or oil filter, then the customer should demand the products free of charge. There are statutory remedies for untrue statements made by the manufacturers, or its representatives; and if you are a victim of these statements, you may have legal rights to initiate a claim against the manufacturer.

Therefore, do not let a new car or truck dealership try to tell you that they will void your warranty if you do not use the manufacturers branded products. I have heard accounts of this occurring countless times all across the country. The best defense you can have if it ever happens to you is to be knowledgeable of the laws, as stated above, and firmly let the dealership know that you are aware of these laws and will not be taken advantage of If you reside outside of the U.S., such as Canada for example, these conditions still apply if the manufacturer has an engineering, manufacturing or headquarters/administrative presence in the U.S.

In relation to viscosity and extended drain intervals; you can use any viscosity oil you desire in your vehicles as long as it meets API specifications (and/or ILSAC and GF specs) and classifications as long as it is correct for the application. Vehicle manufacturers recommend lubricants according to their viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it's conventional petroleum motor oil or synthetic, meeting the correct viscosity grade, may be used without affecting warranty coverage

In addition, the suspected failure of an oil cannot be a subjective opinion made by dealership personnel. It must be based on the results of documented independent laboratory chemical analysis. If the lab test results indicate the oil is still suitable for continued service, then your warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the length of time the oil has been in service for. If a warranty is ever voided it must be done in writing, not verbally, and there must be substantial and documented evidence as to why the warranty is being voided.

Furthermore, the manufacturer of a non-vehicle manufacturer branded oil may also have a warranty, protecting you even further. AMSOIL INC., which offers synthetic motor oil in many viscosities with a standard drain interval recommendation of 25,000 miles or one year, whichever come first and a Severe Service synthetic oil with a recommended drain interval 35,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, that has their own warranty covering their lubricants and filtration products. They state that if a manufacturer warranty is ever voided due to following AMSOIL's recommendations, that the AMSOIL warranty takes effect, but that an oil sample or analysis and inspection of the failed part will be required.

Therefore either way, whether it is with the manufacturer warranty or the particular aftermarket manufacturer warranty, you are covered. Just remember that oil analysis is both very important as a preventative maintenance tool and as a suspected failure analysis tool. Become an informed consumer and you will most likely be more knowledgeable than the dealership personnel and be able to back up your knowledge with facts and data.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is old news. I use to buy some amsoil products about 8-9 years ago, and it was the same claim then. I understand that Honda doesnt actually make their own oil. Just like many industries. But they DO have their own scientists, chemical engineers, and mechanical engineers that know the SPECIFIC needs of their products (i.e. Transmissions, differentials...). They figure out the best combination of chemicals and additives through testing even down to the moleculer level on their products and then when they have it down then they contract someone to make it. Honda has strict requirements for the companies they contract with and even though it isnt AMSOIL, you can be sure it isnt "Jim Bob's oil emporium" that refines their oil. Just like Takata makes almost all of their SRS/safety equipment, and Enkei makes most of their wheels! Panasonic makes most of their Stereos (US)... I can assure you that these companies are contracted by Honda because of their quality and NOT because they are the "LOW BIDDER"! Now the "low bidder" may work for domestic OE's and Nasa, but there is a reason why Honda is #1, and 2 (Acura) on the "Most reliable used vehicle" list!

But how come there are NO OEM's that use Amsoil products since they are so good?

Sorry, but no matter how good you tell me 1 oil change for 25,000 miles is on that oil or no matter how many times you change just the filter can you convince me that it is ok on the engine. You can do the same thing with any other oil out there and change the filter every 3000 miles and add a quart to "top it off", and it will still be running at the end of 25,000 mi, but it isnt at all recommended! And if you think that Honda wouldnt want you to NOT change your oil as often cause they are "IN" with the oil industry then you should read your owners manual, cause they did a lot of research, and put it into you "maintenance minder" system.

They still dont have an approved replacement for VTM4 either....and when your parts fail they will just say that the part failed and not the fluid.

Please dont take me wrong, if you want to use them that is your own choice, I am not bashing on you this is how I feel by experience.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM

Just changed our my fluids yesterday. Amsoil does not make a replacement for the rear differential fluid, so had to get the VTM-4 from Honda. The hand pump I ordered from Amsoil made the job alot easier. The old fluid was dark, lots metal filings on both the rear diff and trans magentic plugs. The VTM looks a lot more like transmission fluid than gear oil.

Used a motor oil flush before the new oil put in.

David
Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats odd that you would have a lot of filings on the rear diff drain plug. I do this service all the time and have never seen nearly as much as the trans....
Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Honda Ridgeline Transmission service (jdmitr)

stick with Genuine Honda fluids!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Ridgeline Transmission service (jdmitr)

yes that is odd having alot of filings on rear diff magnet that diff is hardly in use unless u are in vtm4 lock or the wheels are slipping