Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ**

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ**

Ok before anyone reads the topic and skips down to leave a ricer comment, this is in no way a "i wanna turn my vents neon green" thread, i just baught a del sol and as some of u know even if u get black interior theres still parts of it that have gray like parts of the door panel (vinyl) and the plastics on the roll bar, interior door handle etc, my goals are to make it 100% black on black but im not very familar with how to paint. i know the gray portions that are vinyl ill have to get black vinyl redone on it which is no issue, but im more worried about the hard plastics that are gray, what tools/equipment/technique would i need to make these plastic peices look like the other stock black peices in my car?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ** (SiR Koopa)

I used SEM interior dye on my Accord, and it looks factory. It used to be tan but I redid it in black.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ** (SneezinCD5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezinCD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used SEM interior dye on my Accord, and it looks factory. It used to be tan but I redid it in black.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't have pictures but i used the same on the door pannels of this old jag i have. I made new wood pannels (like the original) and recovered them with the original vinyl. Didn't look quite right. That stuff did wonders on 30 year old vinyl. I can't really post pics because of low light/unmoveable car at the moment. Just saying i voutch for that stuff.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ** (talontsiawd)

I swear by SEM Color Coat. I've dyed 3 civic interiors with it, from blue to black, and it looks OEM. I use the finish called "Landau Black", which is semi-gloss and has the same texture and look of oem black interior. My car has sat outside in 100+ degree weather countless times with no signs of chipping, cracking, fading, stickiness, etc.

Here's a shot of my dyed interior!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you guys get your SEM online or pick it up somewhere locally?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ** (SiR Koopa)

shoot i think i gotta give this a try
Old 10-04-2007, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rufrdr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rufrdr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you guys get your SEM online or pick it up somewhere locally?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got mine at a local automotive paint store.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM

This looks too good to be true.
What other materials are necessary?
Did y'all just scuff and spray?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doubleshotz)

I just wiped mine down with degreaser and sprayed away.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 AM

How is the drying time on this stuff?
What is the difference between dye in a spray can and just regular interior (vinyl/plastic) spray?
I thought real dye processing was dipping and baking.

Y'all just saved me a grip of money, as I was requesting an invoice for black interior parts
Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also used the Landau Black on my parts. They also sell it in quarts and gallons, so you don't have to use the aerosol cans. It was very easy to do since I did go with the cans. Wipe it down with the cleaner and spray it. It dries very quick.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

:thumb up

I'll have to pick up some stuff.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (SneezinCD5)

Good info!
Did anybody paint plastic (vents, handles, buttons, armrest, etc...) when dying vinyl?
Last thing I want is a mismatching interior.

Just noticed I unintentionally thread jacked.
My fault, OP.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:51 PM

i had to sue to to change my new door handles for my accord from tan to black. it worekd great, i went from blue to black on everything,. i wanna try it on my eg sedan b/c it has the tan interior but im skeptical on how itd cover on the tan
Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome thread, def gonna do this to my gray interior
Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kiddcarbuff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kiddcarbuff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had to sue to to change my new door handles for my accord from tan to black. it worekd great, i went from blue to black on everything,. i wanna try it on my eg sedan b/c it has the tan interior but im skeptical on how itd cover on the tan</TD></TR></TABLE>

My interior was tan in my accord. Did it black and look factory. NO problem with coverage.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my next mod THANkS
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang shitsweak - that looks good, i threw out my old blue interior that came with my hatch and bought black interior. if only i knew........

haha,
Old 10-06-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (fventura03)

For those who used cans, how many did you use to do a full dash (dash, bezel, glove box, etc)?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol u didnt thread jack man this threads for everyone, my answer was answered by the first guy "SEM" lol i do altho wonder did most of u who did do it use can? or a spray gun? and when all is done what does the items u sprayed feel like.. is it rough and dry feeling almost? or does it still feel like vinyl/plastic... and this DOES work for plastics too right? not just vinyl? thanks for the good info, like that last guy said u saved me alot of money lol
Old 10-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiR Koopa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doubleshotz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For those who used cans, how many did you use to do a full dash (dash, bezel, glove box, etc)?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think it didn't even take a can for the dash. I also did every part inside the car, bezel, airbag, doors. I did wrap the headliner in black suede though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Koopa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol u didnt thread jack man this threads for everyone, my answer was answered by the first guy "SEM" lol i do altho wonder did most of u who did do it use can? or a spray gun? and when all is done what does the items u sprayed feel like.. is it rough and dry feeling almost? or does it still feel like vinyl/plastic... and this DOES work for plastics too right? not just vinyl? thanks for the good info, like that last guy said u saved me alot of money lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

The parts feel like they are factory,they don't feel dry. And like I said above, you can use it on everything. I did use the SEM adhesive promoter on the plastic parts though. I don't recomend using it on the seats or carpet, as it makes it feel rough.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 PM

its in a can. goes on smooth, if you prep it right it lays dwon jsut like the oem ****, you can use it on plastics liek the center console too. i used some bullydog adhesion promoter first tho, it holds up great
Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SneezinCD5)

i have blue interior and intend on painting it, what paint should i use on the fabric on the door panels?? i don't want it to feel rough like a friend of mines..
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 AM
EPIC TUNING

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doubleshotz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good info!
Did anybody paint plastic (vents, handles, buttons, armrest, etc...) when dying vinyl?
Last thing I want is a mismatching interior.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2.

I want to re-color my blue hard plastic interior black and I want to know what works best, if anything works at all on hard plastic.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (E-Rok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Rok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2.

I want to re-color my blue hard plastic interior black and I want to know what works best, if anything works at all on hard plastic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use it on EVERYTHING. Just follow the directions on the back.

Quick Reply: Good Method of Painting Interior Plastics? **NOT A RICER THREAD PLEASE READ**