Notices

JDM Fog Light Install (the RIGHT way)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Fog Light Install (the RIGHT way)

alright, so this is the first stage install, its the actual install only, no wiring help yet.

first we will start with showing my ghetto quick fix that i used because i was so eager to have my fog lights installed.

this is "what not to do #1"

these are the brackets i cut and drilled out to roughly mound the fogs, they mounted directly to the bumper cover skeleton. (not good)

and this is how my fogs looked with thoes brackets (very bad looking)

so recently i picked up from ebay, a guy in new zealand developed and started selling direct copys of the real jdm fog brackets. which are very hard to find btw.

so i bought up a set right quick. they came fast and here is what they look like(very nice) amazing quality:

so i took off my bumper and went to fit them but there was a problem(that top bracket was in the way and caused it to not fit at all, not even close. so i looked at some install threads here on honda tech and found that most people bent or cut off the top of their fog brackets (this is what i was referring to by the "wrong way". this is ghetto.

so instead, this is the RIGHT way:
see thoes loose bolts, you need to remove them all, there is 6 in total, 4 on the one bracket and two on the top part of the bracket.

now there is still an issue, these are two brackets and they are tack welded together crazy style. as you can see in this picture:

so what do you do? heat torch? tried that for a bit, didnt do crap, so i got the bright idea to drill them out. so i drove to a friends house since he has a drill and we drilled out the welds. take a look:

pretty cool right? no need to ghetto rig anymore, you can install the brackets correctly now.
you will have a spare bolt on each side, as you can see in the pictures, because the bracket only bolts into one of the holes from the top bracket that was just drilled out. so what do you do with thoes bolts? good question, you use them to bolt the fog light assembly to the fog light bracket. Pretty smooth right?

and here is a picture with the fogs bolted to the brackets. i wont have fully complete install photos until next week when i have time to borrow or buy a dremel and finish cutting my fog light holes out, as right now they need a slight trim before the fogs will be in the correct place and bolted to the brackets. stay tuned for the final photos.
so again, here are pics of the fogs installed with no bumper, just to show you how they fit, this is not the correct way to install them althogh, you must install the bumper first and then bolt up the fogs last.

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 06-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool, lets see how it looks with the bumper on later
Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Fog Light Install (Turbo Dan)

Looks great .

An interesting point to note though is that on the real SiR foglight mounting brackets, the entire spotwelded L-shaped piece actually slips over the OEM fog mounting brackets without need for modification.

Your car is hella clean, and those fog bracket replicas look quality . If you don't mind me asking...what seller did you get those fog brackets from, and what size is your intercooler?!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Nice write-up!

Nice job man, I'll be using this in the near future!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeah. Good write up.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: (Blanket-Jackson y0)

nice, ive always wanted some jdm fogs for my crx. hard to find though
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g2lsvtec)

thanks guys!

tuatara_jdm is the ebay user selling these.

58$ USD plus shipping.
any jdm bracket you find out there is rusty, these brackets are brand new and i could literally use them as front tow hooks thier so strong.

after wasting 10-15$ on aluminum plates and hardware, and several hours bending and trying to look half assed, its a nice break to have the exact factory bracket.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dan)

WTF ? are those my old wheels Dan ? i think so, nice fogs i run the same ones but they are clear, wanna trade ? LOL. I also did not have the ef9 brackets but i made some wicked ones at the shop, they look good and fit the bumper awsome.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jstuneshop)

Since this topic has come up again does anyone know what the deal is with these brackets??

I suppose if I cut the inside part off it should fit and bolt up fine... However I've been planning on replacing my front bulkhead (mine was cut up for an intercooler by the previous owner). So if I can figure out what's different on the car they came from I might just track down those parts to replace mine (even if it requires the whole bulkhead).

I've posted up about them before and haven't recieved any real answer. Allthough someone said the bumper attatchment points (those things that the OP took that other piece off of) aren't raised on JDM CRXs. While this makes sense (given the brackets) I know that isn't universally true, and I've yet to find a single pic (or piece of info) to back it up (allthough I've found plenty of pics of JDM CRX bulkheads with the raised sections).
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Bob_760)

wow thats a lot of work all i did is i just drilled a small 1.5" oval hole into my bumper support and i was done took all on 35 min to do both sides and get it mounted then wait till night time and adjust them......

Old 07-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good write up
Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jstuneshop)

yeah, thoes wheels went from you to devon to graefer to me.

lol, and i love em.

and in reply to the guy taking about drilling into the bumper support, do you see a bumper support on my car? lol
post some pictures of your setup to help some of the usdm bumper foggers get their stuff installed.

Modified by Turbo Dan at 7:21 PM 7/16/2007
Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dan)

[/QUOTE]and in reply to the guy taking about drilling into the bumper support, do you see a bumper support on my car? lol
post some pictures of your setup to help some of the usdm bumper foggers get their stuff installed.[/QUOTE]

i agree!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are the fogs on the wrong side?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Fog Light Install (howangseg)

I think you might be right
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Fog Light Install (howangseg)

im 100% sure they are on the correct sides in my pictures. the fogs are marked R and L

Modified by Turbo Dan at 7:48 PM 7/16/2007
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOOoooOOOOoOOooOOOOO Fancy.

and man, i need more sun...

Modified by 89s1 at 10:30 PM 7/20/2007
Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Fog Light Install (89s1)

haha

ya, and i think they turned out pretty nice considering the random box's used to rest the camera on (ghetto tripods)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no better tripod then a box that your starter came in jammed up against your belt buckle :D
Old 07-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then good job. looks nice. i guess its just the shape of em that kinda throws you off.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob_760 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since this topic has come up again does anyone know what the deal is with these brackets??

I suppose if I cut the inside part off it should fit and bolt up fine... However I've been planning on replacing my front bulkhead (mine was cut up for an intercooler by the previous owner). So if I can figure out what's different on the car they came from I might just track down those parts to replace mine (even if it requires the whole bulkhead).

I've posted up about them before and haven't recieved any real answer. Allthough someone said the bumper attatchment points (those things that the OP took that other piece off of) aren't raised on JDM CRXs. While this makes sense (given the brackets) I know that isn't universally true, and I've yet to find a single pic (or piece of info) to back it up (allthough I've found plenty of pics of JDM CRX bulkheads with the raised sections).</TD></TR></TABLE>

In resonse to this question..those come on the EF7 model or EF6 Style II (not totally sure on the Ef6 but almost positive). The bumper support is ENTIRELY different than SiR or USDM. The bumper mounts practically to the frame rail withouth 'extra' brackets the usdm adn SiR models have. I know cause i have those fogs and the EF7 front end conversion on mine (also called ZC conversion). I had to make my own brackets to mount the new bumper support to the frame rail. that leaves room for the inside part to just bolt up normally without choppin anyhting. plus the ef7 has the cutouts in teh bumper OEM that looks nice. I prefer the EF7 to the EF8/SiR but to each his own.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (hondaJDMimports)

Yeah I've been looking everywhere for an 88-89 EF7 front clip (since I assumed that was all true) but have been unable to find anything. I also prefer the EF7 front to the EF8. I allready have everything else
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i happened to own an ebay shop/work with an importer when i got mine (hence my screen name hondaJDMimports)....sucked having to see such a beautiful car all cut up but hey, i got my Ef7 clip and A/C components so i was happy. too bad a motor fell on my hood on the way back from the garage (i had too much crap in the truck at one time) or it would be MINT! oh well, you live and you learn.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Fog Light Install (the RIGHT way)

edit.

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 06-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.