Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install

Note: If there are any changes that need to be made to this DIY, please let me know. Also, if there is any extra information that need to be added, I'll add it.

DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install

Tools needed:
Any manual oil pressure gauge
Crescent wrench
3/8 wrench
1/8 BSP TO 1/8 NPT fitting
Teflon tape
22 mm deep well socket for the plug in the block.

Note: I deleted the factory oil pressure fitting in this for lack of fittings. This means the oil pressure light will not work.
Also, I did this during my IM swap. I can't imagine how hard it would be without the IM off. This thread is written assuming the IM is indeed off.

Step 1: Pop your hood and get ready

Step 2: Teflon tape the threads and assemble the oil line into the fitting. Here's what you want to end up with:

Note: The assembly pictures are obviously of me hooking the line into the gauge, but the procedure is the same for the fitting into the block. I also didn't use teflon tape on this because I forgot I'ma n00b.
Here's what your working with:

Assemble like so:
Name:  DSCN3049.jpg
Views: 10822
Size:  49.5 KB
And then screw em together nice and snug! Note: PUsh the oil line as far as it will go into the gauge and hold pressure on it while you tighten the nut down.
Name:  DSCN3051.jpg
Views: 11959
Size:  59.8 KB

Step 3: Remove the oil fitting from the block/screw the BSP fitting into the block. This was a pain in the A$$, big time.. But you can do it Have faith Be sure to snug it up nicely. Leaks are t3h bad.. Mhhhhnnnnmmmmm kaaayyy?
Here is the plug you want to remove. It's black with the lil white nipple on it:

And here it is with the oil line installed.
Name:  DSCN3047.jpg
Views: 22126
Size:  117.9 KB

Step 4: Run your oil line through the firewall into the cabin to wherever your going to mount it. There should be plenty of line to snake it around things to hide it. Reference Step 2 for the procedure on hooking the gauge to the line

Step 5: Double check to make evrything is nice and snug and fire her up! Check for leaks, please.... In case you don't know, oil leaks are bad for your engine :S
I have 70-80 lbs lbs of pressure on start up and cruise over 40 lbs once she's warm

And there you have it. You have your very own oil pressure gauge. ANd, so you know, my dads been building cars since he was a teenage and has never had a line break on him.. Nor have I known one to break nor have I ever had one break. If you don't pinch the line, you'll be fine.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install (mac_24_seven)

Nicely done
Old 06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Default Re: DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install (mac_24_seven)

Wash your hands before you eat anything

Nice work Although they do make spacers that will allow you to run two 1/8 npt fittings and the stock oil pressure sending unit. Kinda like a sandwhich plate.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install (ForceFed_Motorsports)

there's quite a few things i don't care for with this writeup:

- nylon tube, you're just asking for a kink/break in the line or for 80+psi of oil pressure to blow off those weak compression fittings. your dad never had a problem because he's probably worked with domestic V8s where oil pressure is commonly less than half what hondas require

- no provision for OEM dummy light sender. i know it's just a dummy light, but still

- oil in passenger compartment. BIG no-no. if that in-car fitting blows and you have all kinds of scalding hot 180+ deg oil flying at you. i don't think you'll pass tech inspection for any sactioning body like that, especially with the nylon tube.

while it's a nice write up, this setup has a lot of concerns (IMO) and i'd never install a gauge like you have.

this is the proper way:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=377208

picture is worth a thousand words (note the tee with electric sender and second port for OEM sensor):

always use braided stainless lines with high pressure AN fittings and use an electric gauge with sender, same as for fuel.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Default Re: DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install (-DC2-)

I run nylon tubing for my gauges and are in visible sight and pass tech inspection every Friday
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, ok. not something i'd use, but whatever.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install (-DC2-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ForceFed_Motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wash your hands before you eat anything

Nice work Although they do make spacers that will allow you to run two 1/8 npt fittings and the stock oil pressure sending unit. Kinda like a sandwhich plate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know.. I just didn't buy one

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -DC2- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's quite a few things i don't care for with this writeup:

- nylon tube, you're just asking for a kink/break in the line or for 80+psi of oil pressure to blow off those weak compression fittings. your dad never had a problem because he's probably worked with domestic V8s where oil pressure is commonly less than half what hondas require

My lil ford Ranger when it had the 5.0 in it, had 70+ lbs of pressure and I ran it for years with the same style gauge as this.
My truck now has a diff engine with around 50 lbs of oil pressure.

- no provision for OEM dummy light sender. i know it's just a dummy light, but still
When I pull the head, I'm buying the fitting so I can have my OEM light back.. I just didn't have the flow to do it this time

- oil in passenger compartment. BIG no-no. if that in-car fitting blows and you have all kinds of scalding hot 180+ deg oil flying at you. i don't think you'll pass tech inspection for any sactioning body like that, especially with the nylon tube.
Ummm...I've seen more cars with nylon tubing than electric and they pass tech all the time. Though, I know some tracks are much more strict than others. Guess it depends on the tech working that night

while it's a nice write up, this setup has a lot of concerns (IMO) and i'd never install a gauge like you have.

this is the proper way:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=377208

picture is worth a thousand words (note the tee with electric sender and second port for OEM sensor):
Show me where to get some SS line for my gauge and I'll buy some. I'd rather have SS, of course, because it's gonna be stronger.

always use braided stainless lines with high pressure AN fittings and use an electric gauge with sender, same as for fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

summitracing has pre-fabbed stainless lines

stealthmode has them

you can make your own lines from fittings and hose, jegs, summitracing, mcmaster, local speed shop, etc
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Manual oil pressure gauge install

hey guys, here reviving this post.

i bought the same gauge as mac_24_seven.

however the lines is loose even when i put the compression sleeve... i dont know how to make it tight so that it will not get out and make a mess inside my car...

can anyone help?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Trial User

-DC2- have you done one of these installs? I have a 04 civic VP and am putting a coolant temp, tach, and oil pressure gauge in the a pillar and am looking at the pressure fitting location and wondered if it was at all possible to install it without removing the intake as my bolts are extremely rusted and i dont want to pull it off until i replace the head. wondered if these fittings and such would work.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.jegs.com/i/Earl's/361/64...BoCcRwQAvD_BwE

Amazon Amazon

I would greatly appreciate the info so that i dont screw something up or risk motor damage from oil loss.

Thanks!